How do you stop overexpanding AI?

BroOfTheSun

Warlord
In my last two games, I had to play against AI Shoshone, and I now know that it sucks to play against them. I'm going into a rant about this below, but my main question is around the strategy for dealing with this. I'll ask my question here, see rant below if you are interested: How do you deal with AI that continually over-expands, like how the AI Shoshone plays? Aren't the other AI Civs supposed to hate AI Shoshone for over expanding?

AI Shoshone always over-expands, which has many benefits in BNW. Obviously, they end up taking all the good city locations before I can get to them, and each city starts with amazing borders. For some reason, their cities always grow large (in early game, I'm talking about 10 pop cities), while I'm struggling with happiness issues with a smaller empire. They go Patronage and build Forbidden Palace. So they end up controlling the World Congress, and use that for defensive purposes as well. Since they're so large, they end up taking all the archeology sites. I also find that they like to go Autocracy, build a huge army, and take cities once there are no more locations to found new ones. Oh yea, and they build cities in locations around your empire, just to annoy you.

In both games I played, AI Shoshone started on the opposite end of the world from me. So there was no way for me to stop them until late game, when it became my giant empire against theirs. So my question is: How do you stop this? Why aren't other AI civs hating the Shoshone for expanding?

Just as an FYI...I play on Emperor, Large maps, usually Fractal setting. In my last game, AI Shoshone built cities to completely surround Gandhi and Pacal. Everyone is friends with them...

War, the earlier the better.

Played as Assyria, I threw some spearmen and siege towers at early Shoshone cities. They kept putting'em up and I kept knockin' down, keeping them weak.
Pay off other civs to become your allies and eventually everyone will turn on them.

In my current game the Shoshone were nearby. I quickly noticed how much territory their new cities acquired. By the time they planted their second city I knew war with them was inevitable. After they planted their third city, it was time for war. I could not let this civ expand near me. I captured one city and they offered up another in a peace treaty. Though always grumpy towards me, they are weak and not a threat. I even maneuvered my forces, without going to war, to save their butts when some of my friend civs got after them (just to keep my friend civs from getting too big and powerful).

Top Bottom