I don't understand Religious Pressure

manu-fan

Emperor
Hi,

This is bugging me.

What determines the pressure a religion has on a city?

Let's say I have religion A, and another Civ has B.

How can a city have 1 B follower (18 pressure) and 3 A followers (5 pressure).

Then, once I've captured the opposing holy city and used an Inquisitor on it, cities are still showing lots of pressure from religion B, and trade routes with city states are still applying B religious pressure.

Totally confused about all this. It always seems that with fewer followers, opposing religions are applying more pressure than mine.

Cheers.

Hi,

This is bugging me.

What determines the pressure a religion has on a city?

Let's say I have religion A, and another Civ has B.

How can a city have 1 B follower (18 pressure) and 3 A followers (5 pressure).

Then, once I've captured the opposing holy city and used an Inquisitor on it, cities are still showing lots of pressure from religion B, and trade routes with city states are still applying B religious pressure.

Totally confused about all this. It always seems that with fewer followers, opposing religions are applying more pressure than mine.

Cheers.

Its how much religion they produce, not how many followers they have.

Its how much religion they produce, not how many followers they have.

Faith production has nothing to do with it.

It's simply a matter of how many sources (cities, trade routes etc) are exerting pressure on it, and whether that pressure is modified by Grand Temple, religious texts etc.

Basically, it kinda works like this.
If I have city B with 0 religious followers as of yet, with my holy city next to it. Then that city will recieve 6 pressure from it. (Barring any other parameters)
Now, if I have 3 cities within a 10-tile-distance of it of my religion, then it will recieve 18 pressure. If player X has 2 cities with HIS religion close by, then it also recieves 12 pressure from THAT religion.

What you're seeing is probably the result of an earlier conversion, your religion is now pushing its way up at the cost of the other's religion. Pressure is, with the exception of Holy Cities, generated by SURROUNDING cities.

Pressure= how many Other cities are in range with that religion (in range is distance 10 OR a trade route).. x 6 for standard speed, with certain modifiers for certain beliefs

followers=Accumulated pressure

So the 1 Followers (18)
and
3 followers (5)

Means that
A has 3x as much total pressure as B does right now (say 300 A to 100 B)
B is gaining 18 pressure per turn
A is gaining 5 pressure per turn

When B has the same Total Accumulated pressure as A (assuming those are the only two religions, and the city doesn't grow in pop, then they will both have 2 followers)

Hey, thanks so much. The info about 'How does religion spread' in there is perfect.

Now I know the best way to combat it.

Thanks.

Pressure= how many Other cities are in range with that religion (in range is distance 10 OR a trade route).. x 6 for standard speed, with certain modifiers for certain beliefs

Following up on KrikkitTwo's note, the War Academy articles haven't been updated yet to reflect BNW's few changes to religion mechanics, such as the new mechanic that allows trade routes to be a path for pressure between cities that are not otherwise in pressure range (i.e., more than 10 tiles apart, or 13 tiles with Itinerant Preachers).

Noteworthy: Arabia's bonus increases religious pressure via trade routes by 50% - however, it still doesn't make trade routes spread religion to cities that are already in range. Arabia actually spreads its religion better via trade routes!

By the way, Civilopedia states that if a city already has a majority religion, its citizens can't be converted by a single source of pressure - two are needed. Anyone know if this is the case?

Noteworthy: Arabia's bonus increases religious pressure via trade routes by 50% - however, it still doesn't make trade routes spread religion to cities that are already in range. Arabia actually spreads its religion better via trade routes!

By the way, Civilopedia states that if a city already has a majority religion, its citizens can't be converted by a single source of pressure - two are needed. Anyone know if this is the case?

No... it is just indicating that it will take a long time/be unlikely (since that city probably has other sources of pressure for the existing religion)

No... it is just indicating that it will take a long time/be unlikely (since that city probably has other sources of pressure for the existing religion)

No, it's worded very clearly.

The natural spread of Religion is fairly straight-forward. Any city that has a majority Religion (more than half of their citizens are following a single Religion) exerts pressure up to 10 hexes from the city. If another city is within that range, and they do not yet have a majority religion, then the pressure will slowly start to convert citizens. If the city already has a majority religion, then it will take two or more cities exerting pressure to start converting citizens.

Probably accurate as a practical matter, but if that single source was Arabia's Holy City, with Grand Temple, sending pressure along a trade route, I suspect (haven't tested) that the city at the end of that pressure hose would convert.

Top Bottom