Units you tend to skip past

Denounced

Chieftain
Are there any units that you guys find that you NEVER use?

For me I found I've never actually used the longswordsman, landship triplane or ww2 bomber.

Chariot archer, anti-tank, the first 2 that come to mind.

I might have said AA units a while back but then against America on immortal difficulty few Mobile SAMs were quite useful against their bombers.

I've actually had Mobile SAMs come in handy a few times.

I never ever use the Chariot Archer, unless I'm playing with a civ that replaces it as a UU - War Chariot for Egypt and War Elephant for India. Even though they have their strengths I still question if I'm using them just because they are the UU

I'd have to start in some really flat plains or desert to bother with chariot archers. Forget it if I'm in a forest, jungle, or near mountains.

I never really build triplanes or fighters either. Really, I don't build most late game units. I build bombers, tanks, infantry, and artillery, along with a large navy if there's ocean. Marines, paratroopers, anti-tank, SAM, and fighters? Pretty situational.

Before G&K, I never used lancers, but now that pikemen upgrade to them, I find myself with more of them.

my late game army is composed almost entirely of bombers and rocket artillery, with a couple of cavalry to knock the city out, tanks if i can spare the oil.

i love getting refrigeration for subs, you can often wipe out everyone elses navy very quickly as the ai tends to avoid refrigeration and beelines for great war infantry/infantry instead. it's great to one-shot kill frigates from three tiles away invisibly. i don't build many destroyers and ill upgrade my own frigates to battleships to provide even more siege power. really late game is all about siege, from air, sea, land.

Bombers are incredibly powerful - with the additional Artillery Nerf I suggest trying them out.

As for units I don't really see a need to use - Longswordsmen, Landships [But more so because I don't need to go Combustion because the bomber rush is just so powerful], Marines

Never built a marine or a triplane. Have only had landships as an intermediate upgrade on the way to tanks (but they are nice for those few turns, with move after combat). Since G&K, I don't recall building any AA Guns or Mobile SAMs, but I've received many, many as gifts from mil CSs. Happy to say I've never built a GDR, but I've gotten them as gifts and have mistakenly upgraded modern armor to GDRs on a couple of occasions (the upgrade button is right next to the alert button -- grrr).

I never have BUILT Anti tank guns, just upgraded into them and then never fought with them. I find helis to be very nice spotters for my artillery and will upgrade into them if the situation presents Itself. I build chariot archers only when I was new with the game or if it's a sides UU, and even then I mat only build 1 or 2. I find marines pointless and have only built one to compare it to paratroops (can say definitively that the paratroop is better and comes earlier. I actually do like paratroops a lot and build 2 to 3 every game.) I never build any lancers, I just hapen to upgrade into them on my way to helicopters. My modern navy is pretty mixed, and every game is composed almost entirly of 2 of the 5 modern naval units, and only one or two of the any others.

Very rarely build triplanes, or chariot archers, SAM's or GDR's Also rarely use Marines or Paratroops. The Marine unit would be so much better if it had greater movement when on water similar to a naval unit.

I will always go Horseman - Knight - Cavalry - Landship - Tank. Iv'e often won before Modern Armour, especially if I'm going for a CV.

Likewise Catapult - Trebuchet - Canon - Artillery - Rocket Artillery are all used.

All ranged navy units also, and I often take Coastal Cities with Battleships/Frigates and a melee unit to sail into the city. Also, Great War Bomber & WWII Bomber are essential.

Units I use least (I play on Warlord for fun an profit):

Chariot Archers (Horseback Riding is not too far behind usually, and I prefer the melee aspect if I need ranged I'll have bowman and siege weapons)

The Gallaghas (spelling?): Usually I wait until frigates to build a ranged naval unit.

Musketeers: I tend to jump to rifle too quickly to get much use out of them.

WW1 Infantry: I usually at this point am waiting to build the pentagon so I can upgrade my troops quickly and cheaply so they are never freshly built.

i can add stealth bombers to my list of units i never build.. i've never built a single stealth bomber as my games have never lasted long enough to reach them. the same for giant death robots.. which thankfully come late but which i still wish hadn't been included in the game.. no need for fantasy aspects included, that's what mods are for, let's keep it real.

probably warriors and chariots for me. ill stick with spearman, archers early game.

units I never build:

lancers to anti-tank
marines
landships to GDR
triplanes to jet fighters
missile cruisers
anti-air and SAMs
cruise missiles
horsemen
atomic bombs and nuke missiles
siege weapons

I play a pretty peaceful game. I don't try to take other civs' cities unless they make a chronic nuisance of themselves.

ww2 bomber is great.

is never build anti-tanks, aa's, mobile sams.

Yes, it is. I seldom get much use out of stealth bombers, as I've already conquered most of the world with my ww2 bombers :)

Anti-tank guns- I can't remember ever having used them as a defense against AI tanks... probably because I never use them, and because the AI never (almost never) builds tanks. They might be more useful in multiplayer, I suppose. Same with attack helicopters... since I seldom see any AI tanks, not a whole lot of use for them beyond scouting. I do use AA quite a bit, when there are tougher AI's knocking on the door later in the game, or if I'm attacking civs which have masses of aircraft on defense.

Aside from Modern era units that is often too late to be very useful for a domination victory, Chariot archers would be the least used for me. No point giving upgrades that become obsolete as a knight unless I'm Arabia/Mongolia.

in my games the ai actually seems to become weaker when they reach about the atomic age or so. the reason i believe is because they begin building atomic bombs, which convinces them that they are really really strong based on the demographics screen, even if their ground/air/naval forces are almost nonexistent.. not to mention the production time spent building atomic bombs. recent game theodora had an entire continent to herself after conquering a few others. in the diplomacy screen she had hundreds of thousands of gold and gpt was crazy. the demographics screen told me her forces were about 8 times the size of mine. i brought a couple aircraft carriers, full of bombers, a couple battleships and a few riflemen and found her continent almost entirely undefended. i didn't see a single ship, no airforce, just a few scattered modern infantry and rocket artillery, which she threw at me willy nilly and were picked off easily. after taking her capital and several of her top cities i made it to the other side of the continent to find she had a puppeted spanish city with about 20 atomic bombs just sitting there.. which she never ended up using on me.

in my games the ai actually seems to become weaker when they reach about the atomic age or so. the reason i believe is because they begin building atomic bombs, which convinces them that they are really really strong based on the demographics screen, even if their ground/air/naval forces are almost nonexistent.. not to mention the production time spent building atomic bombs. recent game theodora had an entire continent to herself after conquering a few others. in the diplomacy screen she had hundreds of thousands of gold and gpt was crazy. the demographics screen told me her forces were about 8 times the size of mine. i brought a couple aircraft carriers, full of bombers, a couple battleships and a few riflemen and found her continent almost entirely undefended. i didn't see a single ship, no airforce, just a few scattered modern infantry and rocket artillery, which she threw at me willy nilly and were picked off easily. after taking her capital and several of her top cities i made it to the other side of the continent to find she had a puppeted spanish city with about 20 atomic bombs just sitting there.. which she never ended up using on me.

I agree, just finished a game as Pacal. Bismark was left, we were building up for what I thought would be an epic battle. I declared war before he could, so I didn't get nuked into nothing, the next turn he had moved 28 air units into a border city. 12 atomic bombs, 8 bombers and 8 cruise missles. His reserve nukes were in Berlin, within reach of my nuclear missle, I used two nukes on those cities and the war was over before it really started. He had virtually no land forces what so ever, he had a few rocket artillery around Berlin, and a couple mech inf, but nothing for my 50 mech inf and 25 rocket artillery. Made it extremely easy.

I often build a big variety of units, usually pumping out chariot archers for an early rush if the map allows it. My AA guns are never built, but upgraded from my Lancers, which were upgraded from my Pikemen. Ones I never built? The really-late-game ones. And the triplane. But specially the late game, because, by that time, it is already over, I hardly ever build Paratroopers aswell.

Top Bottom