What is your favorite Civ to Play and how you play them?

I would guess its because you have the map size set to random that you don't see the city states.

The city states have probably been set previously on a map size and the random size keeps that figure?

I absolutely love England. Get a couple SoTLs and the world is yours. I also seem to have good luck playing as Attila (though the AI is the complete opposite).

Korea is an easy game. Spam wonders and GPs. Build GP improvements on every tile. Win. If anyone messes with you, send in the Hwachas and Turtle Ships.

I'm surprised that no one has said Korea yet. I play the game by spamming wonders, which makes them good. If you head straight for Stonehenge as Korea, you can get the wonder and a religion quickly, with the science boost. That allows you to get ahead and build more wonders, and more science boost. While doing that build farms all over and make the most out of their science bonus with population. On Diety difficulty, I have never lost a game as Korea.

No one disputes that Korea's a very powerful civ, quite likely the best in the game, but that doesn't necessarily make it interesting to play.

Mind you, I've played exactly the way you describe with OCC as the Maya on Immortal, and it works the same way (if you're thinking OCC is an odd choice for the Maya, you'd almost certainly be right - I was playing a random civ, saw a good, isolated island start, got Stonehenge, and then decided to carry on as I was - Hanging Gardens, ToA and Petra later, I didn't look back).

Spamming Sea Beggars on an archipelago map and going domination is one of the funnest games ive played

But diplo victory isn't hard to win anyway and gold spam is a suboptimal way to do it; but above all Portugal just doesn't give you that much gold. Okay, the UA bonus will mount up over a long game (it averages 2-3 gold per trade route, double or triple Morocco's bonus), but that's pretty much your limit. The feitoria is cute, but in practice Indonesia sets up shop with multiple resources (that it can guarantee will be different from one another) much earlier, and without having to send a worker to the other end of the map. And the Nau gives a minor one-time boost that might at best cover most of the cost of an Industrial-era research agreement (which was in fact what I used it for).

Nau spam (or maybe not quite spam, but a lot of them) can do several things. A fleet of Naus selling their goods at the other end of the planet. will give a lot of gold and xp for EACH. Remember, every Nau you build can do it. Also, the extra movement comes in handy for finding every civ first and founding the World Congress first, giving you a jumpstart on a diplo victory. Also, with extra xp, these can be good for protecting trade routes, which, in the late game, can become lucrative.
Just out of curiosity, what is your optimal way?

I cannot help but love the Dutch. I like having Mister Grumpy-Orange NOT as an opponent; I like the colours, the Polders, I like the happiness bonus for sold lux especially when I tackle Immortal.

Mine has to be Japan post patch, I find them to be the most flexible so I can go for any VC.

The early culture boost that they can get helps immensely, their ability to keep fighting at full strength when weakened helps when at war and the fact the samurai are awesome fighters have just now got the ability to build fishing boats allowing for cheaper expansion mid game.

This just allows for any type of VC which I like being able to adapt to the changing circumstances of a game.

I just wish there was something better than a zero (while the unit is good, its sort of useless in most games) a unique building or improvement would better round out the Japanese I reckon.

I wanted to like Japan, since I'm a big fan of the generalist civilizations, the ones who can go for any victory. But, from this point of view they're pretty lack-luster compared to Sweden, Indonesia, Spain, Shoshone... even if you classify them as a sub-class, a generalist civ leaning toward military, Carthage still 1-ups them.

For such a strong and influential culture, it would be nice if they occupied a solid space among the many paradigms within the game. It's a shame to see them in this weird middle ground, and not really excelling. Especially weird when you consider Japanese culture largely idealizing the complete opposite.

And then, Samurai building fishing boats? Like, what is that all about? Free fishing boats at the start of the game would have been great, but mid-game? Why is Japan expanding mid-game? Has any Japanese invasion outside of Japan ever yielded anything more than very short term success? ...ever?
It would be neat if samurai had defensive bonuses which helped against higher-tech units. Japan could tech to samurai, turtle up and focus on culture, or whatever else until the modern era without the need to think about their army. That's how I would have like to see their games generally play out. Right now they're just... weird.

And then, Samurai building fishing boats? Like, what is that all about? Free fishing boats at the start of the game would have been great, but mid-game? Why is Japan expanding mid-game? Has any Japanese invasion outside of Japan ever yielded anything more than very short term success? ...ever?

It can help if you're at war and need to replace boats that get pillaged, but it's a pretty trivial effect - enough so that it's not at all clear why they bothered to add it, when it not only makes no sense but it wasn't on anyone's list of suggested boosts for Japan.

Nau spam (or maybe not quite spam, but a lot of them) can do several things. A fleet of Naus selling their goods at the other end of the planet. will give a lot of gold and xp for EACH.

But this seems to ignore the opportunity cost of building so many Naus, each for a one-off bonus and an irrelevant promotion (who really fights with caravels, or even ironclads, except to take on pirates?) You're getting perhaps a third of the unit's effective gold cost back in revenue - it may look attractive seeing your coffers fill up in one go, but that's a lot of production being ploughed into units you don't otherwise need - it's a false economy. How much would you get instead if you were building a bank in a gold-productive city instead of a Nau, do you suppose?

Quite frankly I'd rather have a Great Merchant (who can give you in excess of the money from 5 Naus from a fairly close CS) and take the minor hit to future GP production.

Remember, every Nau you build can do it. Also, the extra movement comes in handy for finding every civ first and founding the World Congress first,

That's true, and yet somehow I still failed to get there before the Shoshone in my playthrough. I think it's only on lower difficulties than Immortal that you'll feasibly get Astronomy before at least one AI (unless I'm playing especially badly), since it's a tech path they tend to prioritise. And if they beat you to the tech, the speed boost doesn't help (unless they only just beat you).

giving you a jumpstart on a diplo victory. Also, with extra xp, these can be good for protecting trade routes, which, in the late game, can become lucrative.
Just out of curiosity, what is your optimal way?

CS questing and pushing World Religion and World Ideology resolutions through (with support due to CS questing) (EDIT: And, above all, spies rigging elections). Gold is only useful if you want support from other civs, and to use when and only when CS offer you gold quests. This is important because CS influence from gold decreases after you've used it a few times, so much so that even the usual 'complete a project' gold quests are almost worthless after a while gold-spamming - "bankrupt" (the single gold coin quest icon) gives a fixed influence boost for giving gold, so this is always worth going for, but it's less common as a quest.

EDIT: An example from my just-completed game illustrates why gold-rushing is so suboptimal. I was going for culture victory but fell behind Korea, so turned to diplo late after not focusing on CSes or quests - leaving gold and a quick reassignment of my special agents as my only options. Money plus a coup took Mogadishu from Rome, who would otherwise have won the first leader vote, and I bought Riga, in both cases on the turn before the vote.

Come the vote, Siam stole Mogadishu in their turn, so I was behind both Rome and Siam - we all had enough votes to win, as I'd passed Freedom (bolstering me and, unfortunately, Rome, but not Siam who had the Forbidden Palace - I wasn't in a position to pass World Religion, although this is usually preferable), and missed out on the free votes for the next round; however the game continued because Rome and Siam were tied. The city-states went back and forth between me and Siam (I rigged Mogadishu, a coup took it back to Siam, my own coup gave it back to me) - eventually Siam bought both, but again couldn't beat Rome and the game continued again. At this point I was on 10 votes (minimum needed to win), the other two were on 14. With only two surviving city states and none available to liberate (the other two had gone to Venice), this only gave me one option: in 20 turns, take Sukothai (and hence the Forbidden Palace). This I failed to do because it was so far away, and the concurrent delays to the leader vote meant that Ramesses finished his spaceship the turn before the leader vote that would probably have given the game to Rome (as I had both CSes back at that point, although just before the end game notification I got a flag that Siam had bought Mogadishu again),

All I had was gold, and hadn't been building influence with spies nearly long enough to make my lead unassailable - had I focused on the Congress earlier I could have passed my religion or possibly become host. The gold costs themselves were money I could have better-spent on other things. The 'gamey' sanctions on civs stealing my CSes weren't available - Rammy was hostile towards me so wouldn't have been willing to trade his cash, and with no DoF couldn't give me his lump sum cash if I had anything to trade. I didn't have enough stuff to persuade Aiugustus to give me his money. I could have declared war on one or the other of them, but before the first vote it wasn't clear which of the two was my main rival - had I declared war on Siam, Rome might have taken the CS.

It can help if you're at war and need to replace boats that get pillaged

This. Pillage ennemy fishing boats when at war to restaure health to your ship, take the city, send a samurai to rebuild the fishing boats (usefull if the city is puppetted and cannot produce workboats).

If you are DOW'd by an AI with a lot of CS allies, you can say goodbye to all your fishing boats. I definitely got use out of the Samurai fishboat thing both times I played Japan, especially since one was vs a belligerent Alex, and have wished for it on other games when I didn't have it. CS ships are always out there.

Portugal, because I`m a money whore. China is also good if you prioritize Paper Makers early, and I feel okay with completing any VC with them, not only domination.

I prefer science victory with China for some reason. I never find them all that warmongering after they were nerfed, especially CKNs and UB. :mischief: (if I remember correctly UB had scientist slot before nerf)

Fun to play:

Spain... it's luck dependent but their UA encourages exploration and not turtle-style... and with two UU, you know it's time to go to war at one point. If someone has NW, go take it. If you get 2-3 NW, it's almost instant win.

Venice - especially when you spawn next to Shaka. :rolleyes: different gameplay.

Ethiopia - good for tall turtle-up style, due to their UU and UA, and even UB.

England - wait till Medieval\Renaissance then go for full domination game. You can play as pirate if you just want to have fun and not care to win. :D

Ottomans - same as England. Be a good guy till M\R, then go for conquest. Play as pirate if you're bored on not care for domination. Sipahi are terrific, if you just want to play pirate. :D

Iroquois - fun civ to play, good UU, good UA, good UB. Can spam wonders due to their UB. :D

Mongols\The Huns - if you want to go full Vader on everyone, here are your main picks.

Sweden - fun to play, but terrible start bias. :(

Byzantium - pick religion, pick Just War as bonus perk. Spam your religion everywhere, then go for full domination.

Poland - probably the most flexible civ due to their UA. UU and UB are terrific, so you can easily go for domination victory or just get into fights here and there.

Carthage\Persia - can be fun to play

Arabia - very strong civ, fun to play, flexible enough for any vic type.

I love this thread! Lately I have been challenging myself out of my comfort zone (I have been a peaceful builder type since Civ I) by playing a random civ and really trying to use the UU, UB, and UA of whomever I've been assigned. It's so much fun. I think the best part of this game is how different it feels to play the different civilizations.

So far I've had the most fun games as Venice and as the Maya. I LOVE the Long Count. In my current game I rolled Attila - ugh, ancient/classical war is so far out of my comfort zone, but it turns out that battering rams are stomp-stomp fun.

Bookmarking this thread for ideas when I roll my next game...

Well I'm not sure if I'll ever figure out what my favorite civ to play is but as of late I've really enjoyed play as Hiawatha, going liberty, expanding to every inch of forest possible, and being a production powerhouse :D

My faves at the moment are:

-Germany, since BNW, I have had much better luck building an army through barb camps. The Hanse is sweet, I love to have CS trade routes and this makes them even better.

-Sweden. The Carolean is sweet. Enjoy the benefits of DoFs.

-Portugal. More trade route pleasure. Like the Nau and the Feitoria.

-Poland. Just seem to have my most enjoyable games with Poland. So versatile as well.

I really wanted to like new Japan, but all my starts with them just seem to turn out pathetic. I am always lucky if I get a single ocean resource and maybe about 1/4 of the time I get a non-coastal start. Sad.

Top Bottom