Where to build Petra

Hoplite191

Chieftain
I'm playing as Arabia on marathon and wish to build the Petra wonder but have no idea where it could be used to its full potential. All my cities are capable of building it. The only two Civilizations that have got a city on a desert tile are Byzantium and Japan. Seeing as I have conquered Constantinople and japan is at war with several other civs. I have plenty of time to build the wonder. So where should I build it? Where will it be best placed?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 8.18.12 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-06 at 8.18.12 pm.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 422
That is a bit tough. Obviously flat desert with petra isn't that great, just a dry plains tile plus gold. Hills and oasis are better.

Minding that a lot of those tiles are shared between cities, Damascus actually has the most workable hill/mine tiles when you count the Iron (desert iron is same as a regular mine with forge), but not enough food to grow and use them all. Mecca has the fewest, only five, but it could do with a boost on the academy you already settled. Then settle your other academies on Mecca's hills.

But putting it on Baghdad or Medina would make it easier to get Machu Picchu later. Baghdad has the best chance of growing enough to use all the Petra hills, so it's better.

I'd say either Baghdad or Mecca.

I ended up taking two save games and deciding the Petra in Medina makes it an incredible city. I Mecca I'll just build the ironworks for extra 8 production.

hmm, I wouldn't do it in Mecca since it has lot of flood title, so Petra won't be efficient.

Damascus will take most of the advantage, and it has mountain for later wonders, as the user above mention it, alto, with 3 pop, it will take ages to build. :/ but if you can spare GE, go for it.

PS. I would drop another city on that desert hill (with river\flood) below Mecca to get that wheat\cotton\horses\sheep. It has good food titles and lot of hills, and it's on river. :)

With Petra it would still be a crappy city with no food. I would not have built it.

I agree with Medina. Damascus won't be the greatest city, but if you chop down some of that forest to the north for farms you can make the best of it. In the mean time, Medina can be an awesome city.

I'd vote Medina as well; city would both be awesome with it and in addition it looks like Medina can build it faster.

Medina would be best, I'd say. Damascus would take way too long to build it.

With Petra it would still be a crappy city with no food. I would not have built it.

Damascus just needed time with me buying some plots close to the lake up north its food has gone up and it as become a good city. All you need is time.

Medina did end up becoming the right option with it being able to spam out wonders now in less than 25 turns each

Top Bottom