Quick Questions and Answers

Is there a map editor! I just got attacked by a rifleman in the Classical Era!!??!? I assume this was caused by ancient ruins.

Do cities you have annexed ever assimilate? If not does that mean in the long run it's best to just raze everything you can so you don't take the permanent hit o happiness?

Do cities you have annexed ever assimilate? If not does that mean in the long run it's best to just raze everything you can so you don't take the permanent hit o happiness?

They are assimilated by building a courthouse. After that there is no more penalty.

Thought I'd help with some answers. Still new here (post wise at least) so hopefully I'm at least more right than wrong with my answers.
1) Do the participating players both get the same tech, and therefore:
1a) Does there need to exist a tech neither civ has in order to start a Research Agreement?
2) Does the cost of the RA increase based on the era you are in?
3) Does increased Science output decrease the cost of the RA?
4) Is it possible that the free tech you are given is the one you are currently working on?
1. It would be impossible to know since we can't see others tech knowledge if the civs have the same techs prior to the agreement. However, they can be different, as I have received a tech from them in an age no one else is in (Tech after civil service slingshot, where I am the only one in Medival)
1a. No, at least not that I've been able to see, I will see about testing it if no one else knows.
2. Yes, or at least based on number of techs. I have had games where they start at 200 and go to 350 by 50 gold jumps.
3. Not sure.
4. Yes, and it is rather annoying :cry:
And now for my questions:
1) How does the Social Policy cost increase for additional cities scale? Is this based only on game speed, or does era, empire size, happiness, or any other factor contribute?
4) The battle predictor is fairly accurate, but the random factor of battles and the predictor's margin for error are unknown. Is there a way to find out?
1. At the least it is based on difficulty, map size, empire size (# of cities). I don't think the details are known atm.
4. It seems unlikely the random element would ever be known. As for the margin of error, it is most likely tied to the random element, so also would be unknown.
Can I block another civ's army (that's moving to fight another civ) just by planting my workers in their way? So the only way they can get past is to declare war on me?
Workers are 'civilians' and so wouldn't stop military units. You could use scouts/warriors to do the same. Also one spot blocking wouldn't be enough unless it was rough terrain that ate up movement points. 2 layers would be necessary on flat ground.
Can I use forts as canals for ships to use like in civ4?
No
You need to build a courthouse (comes with Mathematics tech) for that unhappiness to go away. You will still always have the population and number of city unhappiness hit however.
City state mission question:
I have several times been requested by a city state to help them kill some barbarians, although not been given a specific barbarian outpost.

Anyone found a way to actually receive any credit for killed barbarians? Do they have to be inside the city state borders or what?
It behaves oddly. If it is out of sight, I have seen it where I am told which encampment it is by that single hex being revealed. Also when you mouse over the encampment, it says "City-State Quest" if it is one of the correct ones.
Has nobody got an answer?? :(
In the base game it is most likely not possible to extend the character limit of Civ names. Not even sure if that could be modded.
So I guess I have to pay for roads that the A.I. build in my territory? Could I spam roads within their borders to bankrupt them?
If you could build in their territory in theory maybe. Keep in mind though that workers have a 1-turn ability to remove roads, so they could just remove them.
Now a group of some six to nine City-States have allied against me, calling me a Blood-thirsty Tyrant (I really don't know why they would say that :) ) Now it says they are in permanent war against me and that permanent war is possibly ruining my reputation with other leaders. Is there a way to undo this or should I go for domination victory already?
It's permanent war, so they are gonna be at war with you permanently :rolleyes:
Is it possible to record a game?
i enjoy watching my games later to see what i did good/bad

Is your starting settler allways next to a river or say less than 4 tiles from a river?

can people with the edition that contains babylon play it online to?
Replays of games are saved in the same file area as save files, but I am unsure as to how to actually watch them.
The starting settler I believe is given a high chance of starting next to a river, but it is not certain.

My question: Is there a reason that my saves don't always stay around? I have had a few drop from the normal list, and 1 from Steam Cloud just up and vanish

Cultural expansion.

The next city hex that is going to enter your cultural borders is outlined in pink. I thought I should be able to choose the next hex (well the AI does a pretty decent job of selecting the best one, but still...). How do I choose the next culture-expansion-hex manually?

My question pertains to strategic resources:

When you acquire strategic resources by trade, they are on a turn limit, right? Does anything bad happen (diplomatically) if you use a resource to build a unit and cannot later give it back when the deal expires? Along those same lines, is there any reason NOT to use the strategic resources given to you in a trade, knowing that you'll just be handing them back to the original owner after a set number of turns anyway?

Thanks!

-If you have say, 10 Swordsman (requiring Iron) and a deal for Iron expires reducing you to less than 10 Iron, all of your Swordsman will fight at 50% strength. I don't know for sure what the penalty would be for a factory for which you could no longer provide Coal, but my guess would be a similar 1/2 efficiency.

When resources are revealed by the acquisition of a new tech, a circular icon showing that resource will appear in the iconized list on the right side of the screen, one icon for each instance. Click on the icon (you may have three or four identical ones) and the focus will move to that spot on the map. And the resource icons on the right will remain until the end of your turn - no more 'disappearing' announcements as in Civ IV. After the end of your turn, however, you WILL have to remember where they were, as the icon list is reset for each turn. Note that for long icon lists you can scroll from top to bottom and back.

-This only occurs if the newly-revealed resource lies inside your borders, and even then, not 100% of the time. If you want to see who you have to beat up to get Aluminum or Uranium, you have to scour the map manually.

So this seems fairly simple but I can not for the life of me figure this out.

Mods - Download Simple Clock - Go to the area where it shows the mods I have downloaded - Put a green check next to the Simple Clock mod indicating it as enabled - Back to the main menu - Mods - Singe player - Set up game - Once in game no sign of clock anywhere.

Anyone?

When another civ calls me on having troops near their border and I respond with "Just passing through", how long before I can attack them without them telling other civs that I'm a liar? Also, there seems to be a bug that they can complain about my troops near "their" border when I'm not near their border, just near one of their scouting units. In my current game, I'm separated from Elizabeth by an entire ocean with all my troops at home and she's still complained.

What other "Unique Civ Bonuses" have you guys found, that aren't documented ?

For Greece, they can travel through city-state boarders without the need to be friendly. Have you noticed any others?

I have seen posts where they mention "Puppet States". Can someone describe what a puppet state is, how you form one, and what they can be used for?

Thanks

I have seen posts where they mention "Puppet States". Can someone describe what a puppet state is, how you form one, and what they can be used for?

Thanks

When you conquer another city you can either annex it (it becomes a regular city), you can make it a puppet or you can raze it.

Annexing it creates a lot of unhappiness until you build the courthouse (which is 5g in maintenance)

Making it a puppet means no additional unhappiness from an occupied city and no +30% policy points for next policy. It also means that you can't control what the city builds, it just builds random buildings. Note that you pay maintenance for these buildings and that it may also build buildings which require strategic resources.

You do get the resources, science and culture from puppet cities though. For more info on them, search for the word "puppet" on these forums.

The Academy is now a tile improvement. Put your Great Scientist on a tile outside and build it there. It gives 5 beakers.

I have one big problem: I can't get enough money! I know this is a big question but what are the main sources of gold in this game? How do I get the best out of a gold-specialized city?

Have fishing boats, create marketplaces then banks, trade with other civs, ally gold rich city states, build a lot of wonders with attached golden ages and delete excess units. The Persians are good to as their golden ages last twice the usual time.
This is what I've been doing and it's worked out well

Have fishing boats, create marketplaces then banks, trade with other civs, ally gold rich city states, build a lot of wonders with attached golden ages and delete excess units. The Persians are good to as their golden ages last twice the usual time.
This is what I've been doing and it's worked out well
In a pinch, focus city production on Gold.

Can wonders be destoryed if a city is taken? I seem to have kept most wonders. The Russians built Machu Pichu in one of their cities. It was pretty sweet, I could see the wonder peeking up from the tops of the clouds and the sun glinting off its snow capped peaks.

But after a few turns of taking cities, I noticed it had disappeared! I checked all the cities within 2 tiles of the mountain and none had the wonder any longer.

Can any one tell me how can I move my stacked units (1 Military + 1 Great general) with one order?

I am tired of repeating the orders again and again.

Top Bottom