How much Tourism is enough?

Just finished my first BNW Culture victory and was shocked by how easy it was. Granted, I've just bumped up to Emperor, so I set up a small map with France and legendary start on small continents to avoid getting overrun early. Founded second city 7 hexes away and that was it; Paris was cultural output, Orleans was science/military. Both next to mountain for observatory science boost.

But anyway, Won T300 with around 200 tourism. Never went to war once; had trade routes, open borders, then piggybacked on Portugal's first chosen Order Ideology and Gandhi and Morocco followed suit. Then pulled Cultural Revolution: +34% Tourism to other Order Civilizations and Dictatorship of the Proletariat: +34% Tourism to Civilizations with less Happiness.

Had 6 or 7 wonders full with the theming bonus and aesthetics finisher. I was adopting a social policy every 6 or turns. Gave up on expanding religion and bought GA's and GW's with faith every 15 turns or so.

Oh and the Chateau is phenomenal; especially on legendary start.

you can never have enough tourism if you go for cultural victory, but you can always use open boarders\religion\diplomats for bonus effects. ;)

oh and you can go always try to punch the guy who will be problematic (produces lots of culture). Just because you are playing for cult. vic. doesn't mean you have to be completely peaceful. ;):mischief::nuke: (this includes paying up other civs to do your dirty work)

This is too true!

Thanks. I was worried that warring might kill your influence generally.

I guess you're referring to war monger hate effects? You get one free DOW. After that some civs won't like it. If the civ involved is no longer the one with most culture by the time he has one city left though it may be a good idea to let him keep his last city (or have another AI apply the coup de grace with your help) if you are worried some civs may close their borders and re-route their trade routes away from you.

Top Bottom