Poll: Heads Up! Contest September 2014

Which popheads file should win the Heads Up! Contest?

• Skaven Popheads - Monticone

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Cinemod Popheads - Wuhjah

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balthasar

Wise Man
Sorry, gang, for the delay between the posting of the Unit of the Month Poll and this one, during which time the link to this thread has been non-existent. My computer has been working only intermittently for the last 24 hours - the problem was finally traced back to a cord that had been loosened by a young cat. *sigh*

So on with the festivities. I love special contests, because challenges will sometimes make creators look at old problems in a new way. That's what I was hoping for when I announced the Heads Up contest. Well, that, and the fact that we really need a fresh supply of popheads, advisors, and leaderheads.

First, thank you Wuhjah, for submitting your Silent Film Era Twentieth Century Fox Logo (posted Here for anyone who wants it). Since there were no other Leaderheads entered, I'll move this over to the Leaderhead of the Month contest & it will automatically be entered into the next Leaderhead of the Year contest.

We received two Popheads entries in the Heads Up! contest for everyone to vote on, and I'm happy to say that both of them are firmly in the 'outside the box' tradition of our forum. Our candidates are:

Monticone - Skaven Popheads

- or -

Wujah - Cinemod Popheads

To sweeten the pot, I'll give the winner of this contest "PCX of the Month" status, and an appearance in the PCX of the year contest. Now, good luck, guys. Let the voting begin!

P.S. Don't forget to vote also in this month's Unit of the Month Contest, and check out the BACK FROM THE DEAD Contest for October.

This was an idea that Balthasar had suggested here at the end of August, about 6-7 weeks before there was a poll. The reaction seemed quite positive, though only a couple of entries have emerged. It seems that there's not much being created in terms of leaderheads any more - and popheads have historically been much sought after items that have seldom been created.

I agree with Kyriakos that it should be new work only, though.

PCX of the month/year contests or awards cannot include work from two years ago. I hope this issue can be discussed.

The picture showed above has edited first time on april 2014, less or more.
For complete information, I've added the link at the whole pack but the picture is not included in it...

sorry for unperfect english.

5. The moderator of the thread (that would be me) reserves the right to make arbitrary and capricious decisions regarding entries, though in fact, I will try to be fair. Don't complain about decisions; resistance is futile.

@ Balthasar / monticone: the link posted here for the Skaven popheads does not go to a thread or database entry which includes the file.

@ Balthasar / monticone: the link posted here for the Skaven popheads does not go to a thread or database entry which includes the file.

Goes to show how quickly things can get tangled. Okay, this one was my fault: I did not specifically state in the contest rules that the rules that apply to the regular monthly contest would apply to this one too (I had assumed that as a given, actually).

But fate has spared me: Wuhjah won the contest (Congratulations, Wuhjah!), and, since his popheads were posted to the database during the month of the contest, I'm sure that no one will object if I declare him the winner of the PCX Contest of the month as well.

Monticone, for his part, will receive an apology from me, and a strongly worded wag of my finger in his direction: From now on, submit only works with a link in the database to the Contests! I'll have my eye on you, Monticone. I think in fact, that you should post your Skaven popheads to the DB, so that this thread can link to it.

Finally, I want to thank both Wuhjah and Monticone for participating in the Heads UP! Contest. There is still a great need for new advisors and Leaderheads - for instance, there is no good set of Military Advisors of any era or culture available, and there are no Leaderheads at all depicting any current Head of State (except perhaps, Fidel Castro, depending on whether you'd still consider him a Head of State). There aren't even any good animated leaderheads for FDR (WWII), Wilson (WWI), Johnson/Nixon (Vietnam), G.H.W. Bush (1st Iraq War), Margaret Thatcher (Falklands War) or Obama. I hope that this contest will get our current creators to mind these gaps, or encourage past creators to come out of retirement to help bring us up to date.

Speaking of which, there is also an October BACK FROM THE DEAD Contest open to both current and former unit makers. The rules are simple. Unit makers may enter any unit to the contest that was never before entered into a monthly contest before. The unit may be as old or new as you'd like, as long as it's a) yours, and b) in the database. I'm sure there's no way that it could possibly get as tangled as this one did, but I'm looking for more entries. See the BACK FROM THE DEAD Contest thread for more details.

Balthasar

How ironic. The contest in which the least amount of people is actually interested in generates the most hoo-ha.

For my part, congratulations Monticone on your fine work, win or not.

My two pieces, the leaderhead and the popheads file, were both created new and posted to the database as the rules stated. The leaderhead, yes to be included in the future Cinemod, was created the last week of August (check the date on the file yourself,) just as this contest was coming out. It was linked here and here. Inexplicably, eight people even downloaded it...

Win or lose doesn't even matter. I got nice files out of the deal, and I'm happy enough with that.

Thanks to anyone who voted in this contest, and more to those who liked my popheads. I've been using them in my own game, and now popheads are actually worth looking at.

:king: For the winner... hip hip hurra'

Top Bottom