1989: Scenario Development Thread

Baranovichi (I was there a lot of times) is a small town enough, so this one can be renamed to Brest - much more important western border city.

Wolfshade, I posted that picture with you in mind, since I spent so much time in your neighborhood, so to speak. :) Belaruskaya SSR is very important for the Soviet player, as home to the Group of Tank Armies...the Western Strategic Direction's knockout punch. I wanted to put Brest in but the spacing is difficult. In the map, it should be NNW of Lutsk, east of Warsaw, and SSE of Bialystok. When I tried this, though, it was right on the border (next to that aluminum can) and really played hell with the international border. In the end I took it out, and I think the border came out well. Baranovichi was chosen more for its geographical location than its size. The unit there is 28th Tank Division at Slonim, and the unit next to it is 6th Guards Tank Division at Grodno. Nearby in Minsk is the famous 120th Guards Motorized-Rifle Division.

Your English is better than my Russian, to be certain. I chose Ivano-Frankivsk since it was the headquarters of the 38th Army.

Tver - Kalinin

Can't believe I jacked that one up. It shall be as you say, and the Kazakh cities, too. Thanks, Vadim.

In other news, I just got a new computer to replace my 8 year old museum piece. For a generally non-computer guy like me, it's kind of a big deal. So hopefully this leads to more rapid development of the scenario and its ancillaries. Right now I just need to find a program so I can view pcxs, flcs, and unit previews which now look like a nickel theater.

Anthony said:
hopefully this leads to more rapid development of the scenario
Well, at least it'll be loaded much faster. I didn't play a "Worldwide" on my old PC, but I tried "Napoleonic Wars Global" - I had a time to make a cocktail, go out of the house to have a smoke, back, drink & make 1 more. :) It was almost a year ago, but I still remember.
view pcxs
Irfan View. Free, light, multifunctional, supports almost all gfx formats.
Civ3MM Toolkit. A combination of Paint + Irfan View + Civ3MM Toolkit seems to me enough for editing anything I need.

How the project is progressing?
You can tell the approximate date of release?

I had hoped by March, but more realistically it will be summer. Work has grounded nearly to a halt lately, and what time I've had has been spent on setting up the new computer and transferring files, installing programs, etc. Unfortunately, I cannot get Steph's editor to work which will slow things down a lot and make the Biq more prone to human error.

I recently finished Yugoslavia and Romania, now working on the Iberians, and Finland and Sweden are next. Then it's off to the Middle East. Both game-breakers have been fixed (fingers crossed) but the AI is still able to perform tasks that are disabled. For example, if you disable rebasing, the computer can still rebase the air unit but the player cannot.

All the graphics work needs to be done still, including units, cities, the interface, resources, technologies, and so on. The civilopedia is taking shape but there are over a thousand entries and I'm writing them all (no wiki cut n paste jobbers). :) So it takes time.

Hope the game is worth the wait and it's enjoyable to play when the time comes. Be sure to thank Ares de Borg and Wyrmshadow for their sound and graphics work that will make this game possible.

Both game-breakers have been fixed (fingers crossed) but the AI is still able to perform tasks that are disabled. For example, if you disable rebasing, the computer can still rebase the air unit but the player cannot.

What's with that? I've noticed this while working on other scenarios as well. Is there any way around this.

I haven't commented in a while, but am still lurking, and am eager for more updates.:D

There doesn't seem to be a way around it yet, Bengal. As much as we dog on the AI, it is capable of all kinds of superpowers, like rebasing units without rebase, sacrificing captured unis without sacrifice, etc.

Here's a few recent updates on the scenario in general.

The first of the gamebreakers was the usual American reluctance to participate in Civ III European wars. This was fixed with a vengeance, and Operation REFORGER is downright scary at this point. As the Soviet player, you will be in constant aggrevated fear of NATO air power, which is great. There's some variation on how the AI handles it game by game, which is nice. We'll see how the computer handles the long game as far as convoys go. Typically, the AI only invades with a few guys at a time which is easily handled by a human player on the continent. But this corresponds pretty well with the historical reality. If the US player fails to help rebuff the Soviet advance early in the game, then it will be nearly impossible to save West Germany with follow-on forces. Then the game will develop into a fight for peripherals.

The second gamebreaker started as more forces were added to the scenario. The Soviet Army, on turn one at the outbreak of World War III, would run away. I mean, run away from the inter-German border as fast as their tracks could carry them. In a war where speed of advance is everything, this was kind of a problem. Turns out, of course, that they were taking their maxim of 'avoid strongpoints, exploit weakpoints' a little too far. They were avoiding the Federal Republic and trying to invade other areas with few units. First Italy, then Greece and Turkey, and finally Norway. Not looking good for the Norwegian player when the entire 11.5 million strong Soviet Army is headed directly for your border. To fix this, first we have some artificial boundaries through areas like Karelia that limit Soviet movement. You (and the AI) can still utilize transports to get people around but directly reinforcing the Murmansk Oblast and invading Finalnd are not options. Second, NATO forces in Germany are not entirely ready at their border positions. Reasons for this will be expanded on in the storyline, but follow-on forces from the Low Countries are not yet in place. So there will be plot points on this, but the real reason is to thin the line on the border to encourage the Soviet AI to attack. Once the fight is underway, both sides reinforce the battle well.

The Irish have been combined with Austria and Switzerland to become the aptly named Eurpoean Neutrals. The Arab Maghreb Union has been folded into the Arab Leagure. This gives the Arab League a lot of territory on the map. The Arab Leagure, as well as Egypt, Iran, and Iraq, have critical oil reserves, while most European powers have none. The UK is an exception, with a single oil resource in Scotland, mainly to simulate North Sea drilling. Since everything other than wide-eyed conscripts requires petroleum, you are going to have to get your diplomats to play very nice. The U.S. and Canada have only limited amounts for their own use and trade purposes. The Soviet Union has no problem with petrol (unlike Red Storm Rising) but it will have to see about trade with its allies.

This leads to another area, which is the tech tree. It is nice to have a clean, concise tree after the crowded mini-eras of the Worldwide game. Each 'era' has a different concentration: World Revolution, Mobilization, Diplomacy, and World Events. The U.S.S.R. and the DDR are stuck in era 1 but will find all their needs met there. Eras two and three give you the option to pursue military or diplomatic goals. Military goals start with things like advanced reserve activation, but eventually lead to bigger prizes. For the big countries, like the U.S., your ultimate goal is wartime production. For smaller states, you have to trade to get access to National Resources so you can import weapons and retrain your troops. For instance, the Turks can get M60A1s or the West Germans can get MLRS (which they were in the process of doing at the time). Under diplomacy, the player can get access to expanded options. Merchant Marine allows you to charter civilian vessels, which is essential for maritime nations since they all have a dearth of military sealift capability. International Trade Agreement allows trade over sea squares, giving you access to American and Canadian resources. Of course, military alliances falls under this era, too. So, will you race to get better units, or beeline to military alliances to get these neutrals into the fight? The fourth era is for the US-UK, and primarily concerns the Pacific. Each tech will have a little story on how the war is developing there. As you progress, more forces become available as they redeploy from across the world. This will work in conjunction with the 'Staff Only' units and will be primarily naval in character. The tech tree will also serve to keep everyone in their respective eras for the purposes of maintaining separate graphics, like advisors and cities.

The removal of Ireland and Maghreb gives room for two new civs: Cuba, and the Caribbean States. I'm working on incorporating a storyline here, but essentially a Cuban-backed Guyanan guerilla war will be infiltrating Venezuela. There'll be plenty of room for the U.S. to screw up here and get embroiled. Might even lead to a full fledged invasion of Cuba which would as disasterous to the Americas as it would to the European war. Much more to come on this. I have a bunch of info on the Soviet expansion of Cuban forces during this era that I need to sift through.

Losing the ability to use Steph's excellent editor is a real disaster, so I might try Civ3MM to see what it can do. I've also started on adding graphics and sounds. There's a bunch of custom sounds being added, but again I got to thank Ares for saving me a bunch of work in this area. There's also another project I'm working on...not essential to the game but it would be a nice addition. It's very time consuming and has a big learning curve...I'd love to keep at it but it takes away from the time I need to work on the game proper. So we'll see.

Anyway, hope this long-winded update is worth a read. I plan to get a lot done in the next couple weeks...my primary motivation in making this is that I want to play it!

That´s a great report AnthonyBoscia. :)

The Soviet Army, on turn one at the outbreak of World War III, would run away. I mean, run away from the inter-German border as fast as their tracks could carry them.

Besides the normal motivation of attacking the enemy (victory point locations and needed rare strategic resources) it could be a good idea to lay a stripe of terrain behind the attacking forces that they cannot pass and therefore they can´t run away (including AI-artillery with standard settings). LM terrain that can´t be passed by wheeled units and where roads/railways can´t be built can do a good job here.

Definitely worth the read!

Sounds like things are really progressing, and I like what I see. The only thing I still maintain is that Sweden and Finland should be separated, perhaps at the expense of Norway and Denmark joining. It is not unlikely that the Soviet Union would have attempted to invade Finland, to return it to Russian control, but for Sweden to intervene in that war is absurd. Norway Denmark, imho, makes more sense, as they are both already in a locked alliance, and are very similar. (I might as well mention here that Norway is a large oil exporter, so some oil resources for them wouldn't go amiss)

And I am interested in hearing a bit about the Caribbean States. Are they the islands such as Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and Haiti? Or is it simply Venezuela, which you mentioned?

Anyway, thanks for all the info, best of luck towards the rest of your work.

it could be a good idea to lay a stripe of terrain behind the attacking forces that they cannot pass and therefore they can´t run away

Ja, it's called Poland. The forces themselves box each nationality in. For example, East Germans have no choice but to go west or fortify because they're surrounded by Russians. But I have to leave the terrain itself open so that forces from the U.S.S.R. can reinforce.

And I am interested in hearing a bit about the Caribbean States. Are they the islands such as Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and Haiti?

All of the above, plus Trinidad & Tobago right now. This is in the very early stages still. I'll keep your thoughts on Finland-Sweden in mind :) still haven't gotten to them yet. Norway does have two oil sources, now that you mention it.

Ja, it's called Poland. The forces themselves box each nationality in. For example, East Germans have no choice but to go west or fortify because they're surrounded by Russians. But I have to leave the terrain itself open so that forces from the U.S.S.R. can reinforce.

You could set the first Russian wave wheeled units, set Poland with terrain that is forbidden to wheeled units (and has no roads/railroads) and set the other Russian waves to not-wheeled units.

Looks great. Would be interesting to become the Soviet leader and "liberate the people from their oppressors" :lol: if my computer (2HB RAM) allows...

Very Cool Interesting update script , you wrote there Anthony.

Eh! I ll pick NATO forces just for fun ;)

Both superpowers have such a variety of units that they can fight in many different parts of the map. The game is certainly weighted to the Soviet player as he has the largest force and the initiative. Other guys should be fun on a more regional scale. I'm looking forward to trying a Middle Eastern power and starting some trouble. Atoll, your computer will get a workout!

Flags are being used as leaderheads. Some of them are excellent works by Bathyskaff and then I finished up on others. I'm still looking for good photos of the time period, major figures, uniforms, etc. so we can get a feel for the era.

Here is a video of Chernenko's funeral in 1985, the starting point of the alternate timeline. At about 1 minute in, the Politburo lines up. Gromyko and Grishin are second and third down from Gorbachev.

Probably, you need the help?

I could replace standard units on created Wyrmshadow animation.
Add a picture of units in civilopedia.

Nice footage there, Vadim. Thank you for the offer. At this point, the graphics additions are pretty specific and are done on a one-for-one basis. It also involves a lot of sound work. It would be difficult to communicate the specific requirements for each unit or graphic. So I'll try to think of some work I could use help with.

I don't want to keep bumping the thread every time a pcx is added, but if there's interest then I can post a little about the game mechanics and progress from time to time.

I'm curious as to what this other non-essential project is too.

The .gif framerate is slower than the actual animation.

Attachments

• M60.gif
    M60.gif
    105.3 KB · Views: 189
  • M1A1.gif
    M1A1.gif
    125.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Joe.gif
    Joe.gif
    56.3 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom