Ials pbem #1

You could turn it over to the AI. It would mean log in to his turn, can you do that? Or ask one of the other players you know if they want to step in. His position isn't really bad. The game is still competitive.

I posted in the replacement forum.

OTOH, if the three of you on the dark continent are equidistant and surrounding, then an ai dogpile may not be that unbalancing to the game.

On our continent we're still waiting for the mysterious troop stockpiler to show his hand.

I was just having a conversation with peter grimes. He would be willing to sub for PS if you want to go that route.

We're not equidistant and surrounding, but I'd guess AI isn't so bad for us. Also, AI could bring some conflict to the game. Then again, point of this is not to play against the computer, I suppose.

I have absolutely no trouble with Peter Grimes substituting.

Although, if someone's going to be away soon and we're going to halt anyway, then we could easily wait that time too before getting a vice-PS. If he showed up or something.

Perhaps showing my inexperience, but how do you figure that someone's stockpiling troops?

{As a straight answer to a straight question, there is a power graph available if you have sufficient ESP.
F9 gives you Info Screen, and Power is on the dropdown menu under Score }

Actually, I don't figure.....I am, somewhat mischievously, referring to the fact that it was much earlier suggested in this thread that someone was doing this.

IIRC, Cheetah first made this suggestion a thousand or so years ago. Whether this was factual, or whether he was simply stirring it, is yet to be determined.

{And, to tie the two together, I am relying on memory here, not the power graph }

I was just having a conversation with peter grimes. He would be willing to sub for PS if you want to go that route.

I am much happier with someone with your implicit recommendation, than a random applicant.
If everyone is happy with this I can cancel the replacement post.

PS has now been gone over 3 weeks. Getting harder to see him coming back...

Suddenly had a panic attack that I hadn't seen this in ages. Then I realised that it wasn't my fault for once.

And the other question is :
Are we all still committed to this game ?

If we've got past the stage where individuals can take weeks without noticing the game hasn't arrived, then this game is going nowhere. Perhaps better to put it out of its misery ?

Perhaps. But then we could end it up with grand violence?

Say, everybody should be at war by the next turn?

Why sure, mr. Pig! I've prepared to defend my people, but we're never ever going to use our military in an offensive. :mischief:

To tell the truth, I'd probably be a net looser in case of a war, and if I'm the stacker (which I can be, but don't know that I am), it's because my difficult geopolitical location. Mostly I thought that if we're going to end the game, why not do so with a explosion rather than whimper? Perhaps we've been too polite in the game?

I tend to delete old emails. So I don't even have a save I can load to look things over. I don't know how peter is as a player. But he's willing, and available. But it depends on whether people want to continue the game. Or we could blaze of glory the end. However the lack of contact between the continents so far means that there would be 2 different winners.

I really want to continue the game, but not with an AI player. That's just gonna unbalance things too much.

And it does seem like we will have to replace PS, doesn't it? I'm fine with this Peter guy if the rest is.

As for continuing at all:

I'd hate to end this game, but if everyone else feels like it, then I can't do much about that. We were having a (mostly) acceptable pace until PS disappeared, and I figured it could continue for a while longer. In addition: I don't think the mass-violence end is very viable. We still have too small armies, too little tech and too great distances to travel - not to mention that we're on two continents. Even as an end it's a conflict that is still going to be dragged along for at least a couple of months, and probably more.

I should also mention that I'll be starting my vacations in a few weeks. Which means that between 29th of June and 21st of July I will only be able to play the save sporadically.

Hi All, I hope you don't mind me poking in here...

Cutlass approached me about joining this game, and I'm ready, willing, and able. But as with most things, there are some considerations:
1. I feel very torn about taking over for a player witbout that player having agreed to replacement terms before the game began. Maybe I'm being old fashioned... but I'd hate to annoy ParadigmShifter - he's one of the good ones.
2. On Saturday I leave for Paris with my wife. We'll be gone for just less than a week. I have no idea if I'll have internet access, as the last time I was in Europe there was no internet… if we can manage to connect "au wifi sans a parler Français" then I'll be able to grab, play, and send the saves.
3. I only play pbem, and I always play through to the end. If my position is hopeless but one of you wants to get a domination victory over the AI, I will play my save and send it on. Ok, maybe this isn't a problem..

I'm patched to BtS 3.19, playing through Steam on a MacBook.

My gmail is my cfc user name , but with my middle name (smith) in the middle. All separated with dots, of course.

Whatever you guys decide to do, have a great time :)

Crap!

Forgot to add that I won't care at all if you'd rather total-war it out than have me take over PS's game. Sometimes that can be REALLY fun ;)

So, Cheetah, can you send the save to Peter ?

Ah, Peter, there have been some problems in the past with MacBooks accessing pbem saves generated on PCs......let's hope you're ok.
The holiday season is coming, so absences are to be expected.

You should not worry about PS. He has been gone much too long to be surprised that he has been replaced, and this is nowhere near the only game in which he has been replaced.

Also, it's much too near the start for a mass brawl....

Forgot to add that I won't care at all if you'd rather total-war it out than have me take over PS's game. Sometimes that can be REALLY fun ;)

They're not mutually exclusive. ;)

And the Great Slaughter was suggestion that if we end the game short, we could as well give each others some punches.

I think PS would agree that replacing him is in place.

Top Bottom