New Player - questions

Not broken or increased when doing normal options.
When doing the fraction XP variant the limit of XP is no longer governed by how much XP the unit has already but by how much it can gain, limiting it that way instead but removing the cap.

It has been like that ever since I started playing C2C.

Cheers

Thanks for answering the question re: the map. Are there any Earth maps you might recommend I use, or are they all no longer supported?

9) For the sake of my sanity and distaste for lag, I decided to select the "No Storms" option on the BUG screen. It said that storms would no longer spawn (true), and that existing storms would gradually fade away. This second part has not been the case, despite it being quite a few turns since I clicked that option. How long does it usually take for it to take effect?

10) Can someone explain the algorithm used to determine what amount of :food: is "wasted"? I'm struggling to get my cities up to a population of 6 by the time I get out of the Prehistoric, and when I looked more carefully, I realized there was a considerable mismatch between how much food I was producing and how much I had left after taking population and unhealthiness into account. It seems my cities would be growing at almost twice the rate they are if they didn't have so much food wasted. Is there any way to cut this down?

None of the ready made maps are supported by the team. They are all additions by fans. I think SEM is mostly up to date and is just smaller than the giant.

9) depends on game speed and how many storms are present. I think it gets rid of 1-3 per turn.

10) civics and the food storage buildings like cellars and granaries. I usually don't try and get my population of my main city up to 6 until I have 4-5 other cities. I play on snail speed.

Thanks for answering the question re: the map. Are there any Earth maps you might recommend I use, or are they all no longer supported?

All Earth maps are fan made as DH said.

I produced SEM_plus (based on the original SEM) which is upto date. But it is very much smaller than GEM.

If you go to the "Maps and Scenarios" thread - you will see I have just released a Large Earth Map, which is also upto date and much bigger than SEM. About 50% bigger.

I am play testing it myself, right now - and will be updating it from my experiences and any feedback.

You will also see a thread in that forum for GEM, but it has not been active by the map makers for over 6 months.

11) This isn't really related to gameplay at all, but... can someone explain to me the difference between this mod and the "Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn" mod? I was curious, so I just checked out that mod and its website, and quite a few of 'their' features also show up in this mod. What are the advantages/disadvantages (high points and low) of playing one mod vs. the other? Given this is a C2C forum, it wouldn't surprise if people had a clear preference, but I'd like to hear why. Thanks!

C2C was initially an extension of AND and we both share many features. The difference is our focus. C2C strives for more intricacy and even greater complexity... some may say 'more content' but I disagree with those who say 'more content for the sake of more content'. There's just ways to envision play taking place here that go beyond what AND wants to stay within.

AND has the benefit of most of the last year has been spent in refinement without trying to add features or rework fundamental elements of play. C2C has the benefit of having developed many more options and concepts... this is certainly not to say there hasn't been further refinement taking place here as well.

Those on the C2C team generally have seen AND as being a 'great start'... now if we do this, adding to that platform, it should be even more interesting.

As always there's going to be those who agree and those who disagree. Which is why both mods have a following, often among players that play the other at times as well.

So in a nutshell, the difference is C2C takes things to a much deeper extreme.

All Earth maps are fan made as DH said.

I produced SEM_plus (based on the original SEM) which is upto date. But it is very much smaller than GEM.

If you go to the "Maps and Scenarios" thread - you will see I have just released a Large Earth Map, which is also upto date and much bigger than SEM. About 50% bigger.

I am play testing it myself, right now - and will be updating it from my experiences and any feedback.

You will also see a thread in that forum for GEM, but it has not been active by the map makers for over 6 months.

Do you have SVN writing access yet Harrier? It would make working on your SEM / LEM and possible future maps much easier. If you haven't already, I'd recommend that you get it.

Do you have SVN writing access yet Harrier? It would make working on your SEM / LEM and possible future maps much easier. If you haven't already, I'd recommend that you get it.

No I don't. But as I only release a new version every 3 to 4 months, I am happy to let one of the team add it to the SVN, as they see fit.

I understand what you mean though, as my current WIP version of LEM is already different to the released version. I changed it so all mountains give terrain damage via SNOW/ICE.

11) This isn't really related to gameplay at all, but... can someone explain to me the difference between this mod and the "Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn" mod?
C2C's size is not for the faint-hearted or weak-computered (so to speak). There's much more to do in C2C than in AND (which has way more to do than in vanilla BtS anyway), but you'll need smaller maps and fewer game options to even get close to AND's turn processing rate.

Hi guys!

A friend and i tried to play C2C again after we played a few games in 2013. We both installed version 35, tried it in single player and it worked fine. In multiplayer, we didn´t see each others games. We were able to play BTS and other mods in MP though. So it´s probably not a version conflict, we installed from the same link. Not a general MP problem either (firewall, connection etc), since BTS works in MP, as other mods do.

We weren´t sure about the folder, maybe that is the problem? In a tutorial video, quill18 said: User\name\my documents\my games\Beyond the Sword\Mods
we tried that, but it worked only in singleplayer.
Other mods are installed in program files\steam\steamapps\common\Civ 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Does it work with the steam version of the game anyway? We both have the DVD version too. Should we try that version, using Direct IP? Is the steam version better? Or should both work fine?

thank you

Does it work with the steam version of the game anyway? We both have the DVD version too. Should we try that version, using Direct IP? Is the steam version better? Or should both work fine?

thank you

With the steam version you'll have to enable the original version of the game by right clicking it in the library, choose properties and click on the betas tab. There is a drop down list there. This allows direct connection by IP.

After the gamespy servers were shut down valve thought it smart to update games that used the servers but in the case of civIV they managed to mess up multiplayer.

C2C has many out of sync issues in multiplayer though, you might only get to medieval era before it gets too bad to even play.

Ok, found the original version in beta, thank you.
What about the path for installing the mod? Should we install it where all the other mods are, or in that user folder quill18 mentioned? Or doesn´t that matter at all?

Top Bottom