Redwallzyl's GEM For Caveman2Cosmos

Redwallzyl

Warlord
Redwalls Giant Earth Map
Version 2.2

Release may be unbalanced and missing something despite my checks. i recommend increased costs option due to the amount of resources.

This is my GEM map based off of Acularius' map, though only in the base terrain shape. I have based this map off of various sources including USGS mineral data and scores of more minor sources. I have attempted in this map to create as realistic of a resource distribution and terrain reflecting Pre Colombian spread. Forests reflect what they would be without human influence allowing for the clearing of large areas to somewhat replicate the spread of human influence and their effects but also because it think it’s fun. all earth resources are included on this map, yes including one mammoth, and their spread is historically consistent with Pre Colombian realities though no specific areas for resources are represented instead being regionally generalized as needed. I have attempted a balance but no guarantees and after all some regions of the world are just better than others.

Preset maps contain 32 Civs.

Please use the latest patch as the map is made with the sea terrains included in that version.
And as with all custom maps use the customize scenario not just play scenario option and make sure usable mountains is ON!

Instructions for Map Installation
Navigate to your C2C installation folder and go to the Privatemaps folder and copy paste the map file into it.

Note: For Preset Map to work you must install the C2C Civilizations Megapack
This is not needed for the vanilla civs map.
Civilizations Megapack: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=538110
It’s as simple as downloading it and overwriting your Assets folder in the mod directory.

There are three versions of this map, preset, not preset and Vanilla civs. The non preset has no set civilizations so you can choose whatever you want and vanilla civs works with standard C2C civs.

Toffers graphics pack as of now is required due to unresolved purple Texture bug.
Toffers graphics: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=553482

Change log:

V2.2
thinned out more redundant resources
adjustment to the Bosphorus area terrain
release of vanilla civs pack
moved some resources around

V2.1
eliminated hills under volcano's
removed several resources from on to of wonders and mountains/volcano's
thinned out some resources

Known issues:
-cites do not get named properly for some reason.
-Deep coast bugs out on standard graphics set.
-animal spawns are off by 90 degrees.

Any and all things are subject to change as I see fit to better reflect reality or achieve a good balance, look, distribution or realism. Suggestions, criticism or anything else is welcome.

Attachments

• Redwalls GEM 2.2 VANILLA CIVS.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 333
  • Redwalls GEM 2.2 PRESET CIVS.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 303
  • Redwalls GEM 2.2 NO PRESET CIVS.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.8 MB · Views: 301
Indeed. I pray at some point someone will make a Huge Earth Map... I believe we have a good Large and a good Giant map at this point - Huge is my most preferred map setting of course. lol.

I pray for a Australia Map :mischief:

And I once had an AWESOME nightmare game starting as Atzecs, with no Horses nor lots of Iron.... it was really intersting but at the time we met the old world turn times killed this game sadly... so an American Map would be also pretty cool :king:

i have been working on the river map for awhile for version 2.0 and i have some screenshots to post. the coasts, mountains and hills are in as well but you cant see them unless i zoom in. next up terrain. i referenced it all from GIS river map data viewed on arcGIS so i could zoom and pan as much as i needed. really useful peace of software unfortunately its hideously expensive when not using student access. it is actually super accurate in most places but looks a bit wearied without mountains and hills visible.

Warning BIG screenshots

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Reference images

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

alright another update. i have completed the biome map of the Americas and altered some rivers slightly. the bright green is lush terrain generally representing areas that are highly farmed and produce an agricultural output significantly above others.

Um... are you by chance a Canadian?

Um... are you by chance a Canadian?

a half Canadian Michigander why do you ask? the base continent shape is almost unaltered including terrain actually if that's what your wondering about and I'm using plains to reflect not only the great planes but also areas of less productive land referencing agricultural yield. did i mess something up? is it Sarnia?

I ask because the only terrain of bright green I see is in NORTHERN Canada which is exactly where I would NOT expect there to be much crop output.
the bright green is lush terrain generally representing areas that are highly farmed and produce an agricultural output significantly above others.

There's some interesting lime green terrain that's located where I wonder if that's where you mean.

I ask because the only terrain of bright green I see is in NORTHERN Canada which is exactly where I would NOT expect there to be much crop output.

That bright green represents pine forests. Lime green grasslands IMO.

actually the lime green is lush terrain and the darker green is marsh. the brown green splotch is muddy. i made custom ms pain tiles for missing ones and they are a bit basic. some other ones are scrub with light brown and green dots and permafrost is a tan white. rocky is the dark brown splotchy one. the rest are default.

you cant actually see river, mountain and trees from the zoomed view also i haven't actually added trees yet. but i have an excellent map of coniferous and deciduous tree ranges. if anyone wants some jpg versions of my references i can easily provide them. due to the software however i can't give any links. i believe you can search for them on arcGIS online and there is an online viewer but you wont be able to do all the fancy things i can with the data.

terrain has somewhat been decided upon by my agricultural yield data combined with biome classifications and some close up satellite images of the areas do determine the best fit. i also take into account yields of tiles to attempt to great a reflection of usefulness as well. for example plains have one food and one production while grassland has only two food so in yield consideration it is more suited for great planes type dry grassland than the grassland terrain. rocky terrain provides a production while scrub provides a food and desert hase nothing so when creating desert regions i must decide which is which with imagery of regions defined as desert and consider the look of the map and transitions in terrain combined with yield data rivers and topography and after that make sure I'm not nerfing a civ with surrounding terrain. id say deserts are the most annoying regions and rain forest muddy terrain is the second most annoying as i generally treat it as the poor rain forest solid despite its one production and food yield. i use marsh similarly in borial forests.

edit: I'm almost done with the terrain map of Africa so that will be pictured soon.

terrain has somewhat been decided upon by my agricultural yield data combined with biome classifications and some close up satellite images of the areas do determine the best fit.

As a matter of interest - are you basing your new map on current yield data or prehistoric? From the above quote it seems to be current yields. That is fine for a modern map game. But not sure about a prehistoric start. Just a thought. :)

if the map were actually from 50,000 years many things would be out of wack and i don't want that. I'm making a map based on modern information yes. the game is ultimately not about prehistoric times but all areas in the time line and i want to make something that can be a good map and terrains cant be made to change as the game goes on so I'm making them what they are except of course the forests. i have thought of making a later start date map but I'm not sure how to do that. i actually think c2c has spent to much time on that and not enough on other stuff. also its much easier to base the terrain off of modern imagery and maps as they are more abundant. i have always intended to make a map based off of modern references.
this in not supposed to be a "prehistoric" map its supposed to be a realistic representation of earth as well as i can make it.

so to summarize yes its a modern map terrain wise but resource wise its geared to precolombian and pre human impact forests to allow use of the clearing mechanic as i think that's more interesting.

if you know how to set the start date to the sedentary age without breaking things please tell as i would like to do that as at least an alternate version.

edit one of my reference maps:
Spoiler :

so to summarize yes its a modern map terrain wise but resource wise its geared to precolombian and pre human impact forests to allow use of the clearing mechanic as i think that's more interesting.

That's fine. I was just interested in your current thought processes. As you mentioned, in most cases (not all) tree population was the main difference over the ages.

if you know how to set the start date to the sedentary age without breaking things please tell as i would like to do that as at least an alternate version.

I have not got a clue.

Keep it up. :)

The problem with using that projection is that the equatorial lands are shrunk and the polar lands are made bigger. Greenland and the Indian sub-continent have about the same land area on Earth but Greenland looks 2-3 times bigger on this map.

its the same as the normal gem i didn't want to mess with that but i can shrink Greenland if i want. all projections have their problems and the civ map is flat so its inevitable. until they introduce globe maps its not going to change.

here you go Harrier:

MS paint so they are kind of rough. :)
i made new ones but i haven't used them yet.

Top Bottom