Barbarians & Animals

Do you USUALLY play FFh with Raging Barbarians selected?

• Yes

Votes: 57 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 50.9%

• Total voters
Hmm, looks like the AI gets a flat 40% bonus against barbarians no matter what the difficulty level. And here I thought I was just being paranoid seeing the AI win difficult barb battles on a frequent basis.

- Niilo

Geez, this is the first time I've looked at all the AI handicaps. Boy, the AI really sucks! Go, Chalid, go!

- Niilo

I have just started a couple of games, fantasy relm, raging barbarins, huge, marathon. After about 200 turns both games came donw to me and the AIs that start at peace with the barbarins.

Maybe something should be done to prevent the other AIs busting out so soon. I notice that there is no longer respawning of dead AIs, not sure if that is a solution?

vorshlumpf said:
Hmm, looks like the AI gets a flat 40% bonus against barbarians no matter what the difficulty level. And here I thought I was just being paranoid seeing the AI win difficult barb battles on a frequent basis.

- Niilo
the ai is always on noble, so the noble ai always gains the noble bonus against barbarians...

The Noble bonus is 10%. The AI gets 40%, which is equivalent to the Settler bonus. Hmm, I wonder if that means the AI gets 50% overall?

- Niilo

tharg said:
I have just started a couple of games, fantasy relm, raging barbarins, huge, marathon. After about 200 turns both games came donw to me and the AIs that start at peace with the barbarins.

Maybe something should be done to prevent the other AIs busting out so soon. I notice that there is no longer respawning of dead AIs, not sure if that is a solution?

Most of my games are played just like yours and I agree that the AI civs go down quickly. If you have one more more AI civs with the BAR trait be prepared for the barb onslaught as they will ignore them and come just for you. You really need to concentrate on defending just one or two cities instead of thinking about any expansion.

My trick is to try and get the civ with the BAR trait to score 50% more pts than me. Then, the barbs will declare war on him and take some of the pressure off. You are in deep kimchi, however, if two AI civs have the BAR trait as they can keep their scores close to each other and never have the 50% rule kick in. Or, if you have really bad luck, you can have three AI civs with the BAR trait and they will keep their scores close enough to each other while you are getting pounded by all the barbs on the map.

I have been campaigning for a change in the 50% rule that looks at the scores of civs with the BAR trait and compares them to the civs WITHOUT the BAR trait, rather than to each other. No response from the game poobahs however on this one. :)

I don't know if there is a setting for respawning AI civs that go down, but clearly the AI for the other civs in dealing with raging barbs is terrible. Hang in there, and you will likely have a Conquest victory before the yr. 800 or so.:)

I know the odds of having tamed animals escape from their carnivals was worked on. However, are those odds for a particular city or a civ?

For example, in my last game I had three jailbreaks in 70-75 turns from three different cities in my civ.

Also, you might as well call it an Animal Suicide as those animals with two movement points turn right around and attack the city defender(s) and are quickly killed. With no animals left on the board, this has implications in terms of culture and smiley faces.

You can re-capture the lions, bears, and spiders though as they have only one movement pt, but the panthers, wolves and tigers are gone - although it is easy often to summon tigers to replace those lost.

Could something be done to avoid this Animal Suicide?

Two other questions:

1. A captured Spider gives you silk (if you have Animal Mastery). It doesn't make any sense to capture more than one or any at all if you already have one captured or already have silk, right? Or do you gain culture for each one captured?

2. Nature's Revolt. I have built it several times, but it is useless when I usually get around to it as the map is populated with nowhere for animals to spawn. I have never seen the AI build this. Has anyone? How about adding more of an incentive to build it early on like giving the builder one of each animal already tamed or something like that?

The spider also provider 1 happy face to the city its pen is located, like other animals. (Not the happy face from silk, its another happy face, making 2 happy faces if you didn´t have silk)

Top Bottom