German multicultural society "has failed" -- Chancellor Merkel

:lol: Well, with the possible exception of Rosengård, I prefer "immigrant cluster" since it is more relevant to the point I try to make ;) Which is that a concentration of immigrants (ie immigrant cluster) is what messes things up.

By spreading them out you ensure that they feel part of the Swedish society and not part of some immigrant culture.
I still don't like the expression 'immigrant-cluster'. The way you describe it, it is the exact same thing as 'ghetto'. I can only assume that you prefer to use 'immigrant-cluster' instead of 'ghetto' because the latter has a negative connotation. While I find it intellectually cowardly to switch terms this way to avoid a negative connotation, I really hate this routine because it destroys the language: If there is a negative connotation to a term, then switching to another term will simply give the new term that same negative connotation, and then it is off again to find yet a new term to use, and to negatively connote. Stop destroying the language!
/rant.

I definitely agree that it is important to spread immigrant out and not having them end up in ghettos. Therefore I support the busing of school children like they are doing in Copenhagen, and I even argue that there must be a limit as to how many immigrants from one particular culture can live in each district. Yes, yes. I know these measures -especially the last one - is against freedom as we know it. Stop screaming. Sometimes the end does justify the means!

I still don't like the expression 'immigrant-cluster'. The way you describe it, it is the exact same thing as 'ghetto'. I can only assume that you prefer to use 'immigrant-cluster' instead of 'ghetto' because the latter has a negative connotation. While I find it intellectually cowardly to switch terms this way to avoid a negative connotation, I really hate this routine because it destroys the language: If there is a negative connotation to a term, then switching to another term will simply give the new term that same negative connotation, and then it is off again to find yet a new term to use, and to negatively connote. Stop destroying the language!
/rant.
Actually, I would say that the distinction is reasonable; "ghetto" has particular connotations of imprisonment and of material deprivation, which are not necessarily the case in all "immigrant clusters". It's not simply attempting to remove the negativity of a particular word, but to avoid allowing the implications of a particular word to complicate or cloud the issue.

Also, there's the simple fact that "ghetto" implies an entire neighbourhood, when an "immigrant cluster" could simply refer to a single street or building. It's a much more flexible term.

Why fortunately? Do you not like Muslims?

Why fortunately? Do you not like Muslims?
I wouldn't like "a lot" of them. I'd also kindly ask you to remember, that Estonia already has an immigrant population that is relatively 3 times larger than that of Germany.
He says if you don't have personal experience with it, you're opinion is less valuable.
So refusing to send your daughter into biology or sex ed class is NOT a sign of backwardness? Mind you, I was not claiming that all Muslims do that, nor even that many do, I was merely stating my opinion about the people whom metatron described. He seems to have the personal experience I admittedly lack.

Why wouldn't you like alot of them

Because we are already over the limit of immigrants we can hope to assimilate without mjor troubles. See previous post for specifics.

Actually, I would say that the distinction is reasonable; "ghetto" has particular connotations of imprisonment and of material deprivation, which are not necessarily the case in all "immigrant clusters". It's not simply attempting to remove the negativity of a particular word, but to avoid allowing the implications of a particular word to complicate or cloud the issue.
But "imprisonment" and "material deprivation" are the case in all 'immigrant clusters', and can just as well be referred to as 'ghettos'! People are not forced to live in modern ghettos in the West by law, but by economy. They live there because those are the cheapest places to live, and they can't afford anything else. As such, they also have material deprivation. When immigrants get enough money they most usually move out of the ghettos, but we all know that moving away isn't an option for all the people living in ghettos.

The implications of a ghetto are these: They are unhealthy for the society hosting the ghettos, and they are unhealthy for the people living in the ghettos. Ghettos concentrate people with little resources and the cumulative effects create more poverty, more crime, less possibilities and opportunities to move on.

If you switch to 'immigrant cluster', those implications will soon be tied to the new term.

Also, there's the simple fact that "ghetto" implies an entire neighbourhood, when an "immigrant cluster" could simply refer to a single street or building. It's a much more flexible term.
What about a single household? Would you call a single German-Turkish household a ghetto? What about an 'immigration cluster'? In any case where 'immigration cluster' is usable, the term 'ghetto' is also usable and it is already in use and doing a good job at describing what it needs to describe.

So refusing to send your daughter into biology or sex ed class is NOT a sign of backwardness? Mind you, I was not claiming that all Muslims do that, nor even that many do, I was merely stating my opinion about the people whom metatron described. He seems to have the personal experience I admittedly lack.
No, refusing to send your daughter to biology or sex ed class is progressive...

Two days ago a school in Norway decided to separate the 450 students into boy and girl classes for gym and swimming, because the parents of one girl refused to send their daughter to a gym-class with boys. Never mind that the 20+ other Muslims at the school and their parents have no problem with combined classes!

Less than 50 years ago people were demonstrating in Norway to make all boys and girls have the same classes, because that was right and what we wanted. And now the Ministry of Education says that splitting boys and girls into separate classes is all fine and dandy! :mad:

How did you come to this conclusion?

I think that the CDU and the SPD have agreed to use immigrants as the scapegoats in Germany for the EU's failure. And from what I know about germans humans, they'll believe.
I fixed that for you...It's happening all over the west, and the same guys in any country are believing it...

You know, I hear there's a pretty good multicultural society a coupla thousand miles west of Germany. Perhaps they should have tried modeling themselves on USA #1

Ye. Multiculturalism isn't going to work everywhere. NA is where its at anyways. Canada #1.

So... multiculturalism doesn't magically spawn money?! huh.. this will be interesting to follow, and not because of all the attempts to draw Nazi or racist parallels to it. The debate about failed integration and high immigration is just long overdue. Bring out the numbers and count the cost.

When I read/hear ghetto, I think of crap neighbourhoods where drive-bys are every-day life and gangs like Crips and Bloods rule the streets. And indeed, due to rap music that is probably what most teenagers think of.

And that just paints a false image, as most of these places can't really be considered a ghetto or even overly dangerous. "Immigrant cluster" is a better term to describe them when you take into account what people think of when they hear ghetto.

Maybe if people started using that term it'd eventually get the same negative connotations as the word ghetto has but meh :lol: Ranting about that is just silly man...

Let's try an example:

"Immigrant cluster"? Certainly. But "ghetto"? :huh:

Let's try an example:

"Immigrant cluster"? Certainly. But "ghetto"? :huh:
But is that an immigrant cluster just because the residents there aren't of European origin? A cluster of Americans of Chinese origin - perhaps, but "Immigrant cluster" :huh:

But is that an immigrant cluster just because the residents there aren't of European origin? A cluster of Americans of Chinese origin - perhaps, but "Immigrant cluster" :huh:
The content of the image, particularly frequent use of Chinese, seems to indicate the retention of a culture that could reasonably be described as "immigrant". It's not as if I just posted an average suburban neighbourhood that happened to be mostly Irish.

No, refusing to send your daughter to biology or sex ed class is progressive...

Two days ago a school in Norway decided to separate the 450 students into boy and girl classes for gym and swimming, because the parents of one girl refused to send their daughter to a gym-class with boys. Never mind that the 20+ other Muslims at the school and their parents have no problem with combined classes!

Less than 50 years ago people were demonstrating in Norway to make all boys and girls have the same classes, because that was right and what we wanted. And now the Ministry of Education says that splitting boys and girls into separate classes is all fine and dandy! :mad:
I wonder how long until total segregation?
How did you come to this conclusion?
Do you have your own idea as regards to the adequate threshold or do you simply completely reject the idea that there could ever be "too many immigrants"?
The content of the image, particularly frequent use of Chinese, seems to indicate the retention of a culture that could reasonably be described as "immigrant". It's not as if I just posted an average suburban neighbourhood that happened to be mostly Irish.
How dare you make such a "rasist" distinction?!

So... multiculturalism doesn't magically spawn money?! huh.. this will be interesting to follow, and not because of all the attempts to draw Nazi or racist parallels to it. The debate about failed integration and high immigration is just long overdue. Bring out the numbers and count the cost.

Um, I don't think anyone said that multiculturalism (as distinct from immigration, which can be encouraged for purely economic reasons) is about money so much as about tolerance worthy of a progressive society. That's why all the Nazi comparisons were made, because the Nazis were an extreme example of intolerance.

Don't blame the multiculturalism when you guys simply fail at it.

Top Bottom