It's Election Season in Canada(?)

Who would you vote for?

• Total voters
She moved to a much more competitive riding in BC, so yes, a very good chance.

Though the Greens here aren't your normal Greens.

What are "normal" Greens and what are the Green Party of Canada?

What are "normal" Greens and what are the Green Party of Canada?

By "Normal" Greens, I mean that Greens are almost always a left party. Greens here are slightly left of the NDP on environmental matters, but are centrists everywhere else -- to the right on Liberals on economics and social matters.

Hmm. What social issues are those? Euthanasia? Gay Marriage?

I know the Canadian Greens are big on the eco-capitalism thing and changing the tax system to something with a more green focus, but that isn't particularly unusual and is well within the broad currents of global Green politics. Do you mean they want to roll back welfare or oppose labour rights?

The only thing I ask NDP voters is to consider voting Liberal if 1: NDP will come in third in the riding and 2: Liberals have a chance to win it. I'd also ask Liberal voters to vote NDP if the reverse is true.

I know the Liberals aren't that much better than the torries, but they are better. I've only seen 2 elections here, but I'm tired of watching the vote splitting in the face of the "unite the right" success.

Simple as ABCs: Anyone But Conservatives.

Yeah you are right, NDP are most likely to be 3rd and in all honesty Ignatieff does look like a better alternative. So practicality over ideology.

I wonder what are the chances of a another coalition between the Liberals and NDP? I know the last attempt was failure because Dion lack leadership skills and really did not put up any real fight. But if it is possible, how successful it would be running the country?

It's not that they specifically oppose those things, but if they had to roll back welfare or oppose labour to get green legislation passed, yes they'd do that. Their taxation plan is to the right of the Liberals (it's rather regressive).

The impression I've always gotten about the Greens (mind you I don't play too close attention) is that their plan is to get into a position of influence, and would support whomever to have aspects of their environmental platform enacted. Almost by default though, that means working with the Liberals or NDP, since torries wouldn't acquiesce to their platform.

Yeah you are right, NDP are most likely to be 3rd and in all honesty Ignatieff does look like a better alternative. So practicality over ideology.

I wonder what are the chances of a another coalition between the Liberals and NDP? I know the last attempt was failure because Dion lack leadership skills and really did not put up any real fight. But if it is possible, how successful it would be running the country?

If it requires Bloc Quebecois support... that would be fractious. If a Liberal-NDP collation were to form a majority, then I think it'd hold.

I'm not Canadian. I'd probably vote for the Green Party or New Democratic Party.

EDIT: Nevermind. I assumed that the Green Party in Canada would be similar to the US one. But I guess not. So I'd go probably New Democratic Party.

I don't know what I'll do...

The Conservatives have done some stuff that I really like, and other stuff that I really don't like.

I'll probably just end up voting for the local candidate who annoys me the least

Same here. I always go with the "vote for the local candidate I like the most" excuse myself. :D

I'm a centre-right kind of guy - as long as the conservatives govern from near the centre and don't attempt anything too radical with regard to social issues, and I like the local candidate, I'll continue voting for them.

*ducks flying tomato*

I'll vote either Liberal or NDP. Will likely depend on some big statement by either candidate, or a snap decision inside the voting booth. I'm leaning Liberal at the moment. Not that it will make a frakking difference of course; riding will go at least 60% Tory. Thank the gods for Albertans and FPTP.

I don't see how the Torries don't walk away with another plurality -- third straight -- unless the NDP and Liberals have figured out how to stop vote splitting and further.

If I could vote, I'd enthusiastically line up behind Ignatieff. I like him.

Honestly, if the Tories win yet another plurality, it's probably a good thing overall. After failing to win a majority 3 (4?) times, the Tory leadership will have to catch on to the fact that Harper is simply unelectable. If we get rid of him, Tory rule would likely be pretty bearable.

And yeah, I like Iggy too. I really don't get all the hate that gets directed his way.

*ducks flying tomato*

*readies additional tomatoes*

It's not that they specifically oppose those things, but if they had to roll back welfare or oppose labour to get green legislation passed, yes they'd do that. Their taxation plan is to the right of the Liberals (it's rather regressive).

Are you sure it's actually regressive as opposed to just attacked as such by opponents? That charge gets constantly levelled at any attempt to introduce carbon pricing or environmental taxation, but every such policy I have ever seen has included tax offsets or straight-up compensation to low and middle income earners. This is entirely reaonable, since the point of such taxation is to change the relative price incentives faced by people and businesses, rather than absolute price conditions.

I voted Green last election, since the Green candidate was the only that seemed to actually be campaigning. My riding is in Calgary, so...yeah...its going Conservative. Since I refuse to vote Conservative, I will probably go with the Greens again, unless the Liberal or NDP candidates actually bother to campaign this time. Then I would have to think about it.

The only thing I ask NDP voters is to consider voting Liberal if 1: NDP will come in third in the riding and 2: Liberals have a chance to win it.

That was exactly how it was in my riding last election, I generally vote NDP, but their guy had absolutely no chance in my area.

It's a disgusting feature of FPTP that forces that sort of tactical voting choice to be made.

Harper has to go. The man is clearly clinging to power a bit too much.

ABC all the way.

I voted Green in the last couple elections and have been happy to see them get more and more % of the national vote each time. I will probably vote green again, but it all really depends on what happens between now and the election.. and if a strategic Liberal or NDP vote might help unseat the douchebag conservatives.

Wow, I just looked at the numbers for Calgary, it's even less competitive than I imagined...

Don't worry. The patron gods of our great Canadian nation are punishing them.

1 y - Van...NW ...74... 48.....17 ....9 .....105
2 Detroit....CEN ..74 ....43 ....22 ....9 ......95
3 San Jose..PAC ..74 ....43 ....23 ....8 ......94
4 Phoenix....PAC ..75 ....40 ....24 ....11 .....91
5 Chicago...CEN ..73 ....40 ....25 ....8 ......88
6 Los An.....PAC ..73 ....41 ....26 ....6 ......88
7 Nashville..CEN ..74 ....39 ....25 ....10 .....88
8 Anaheim...PAC ..73 ....41 ....27 ....5 .....87
9 Dallas......PAC ..73 ....38 ....25 ....10 .....86
10 Calgary....NW ..76 ....37 ....28 ....11 .....85

Everything in its right place.

Top Bottom