[BETA] Putmalk's Ancient Mesopotamia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a TSL map intended to play with 22 civs ? Is it possible that the glitch occurs in the case there is too few or too many civs ?

Yeah, it may have to do with worldbuilder maps. I noticed the same thing on another map now, made in worldbuilder. :(

Okay so, it's been absolutely forever since I posted in any of the threads or any updates. There are a few reasons, I can just list them here:

• College has become a big part of my life and my sole focus at this time. Thus, games and mods had to take a backseat.
  • Civilization V was boring me to no end and it became a chore just to load it up.
  • After playing this mod monotonously forever, I started to get bored with it and the scenario.
  • I felt there were inherent design oversights in the initial scenario that I would have to redo it, and I had no heart to actually do it.

In lieu of this, I've just completed the midterm portion of my semester and I want to start work on this again. A few things:

• Expect a new scenario.
  • I expect to change a ton of things, top to bottom. This includes adding and removing units as I see fit.
  • I expect to finish the policy trees this time.
  • I expect to add a ton of new civilizations, and probably expand this out of Mesopotamia and into other areas around the Mediterrenean.
  • I will be looking at the tech tree and seeing how I can change it. I may decide to change the tech tree to feature less technologies, more expensive ones.

I look forward to continuing with this scenario and I apologize for completely disappearing.

I want to start work on this again.
Yeah, great! I'm happy this mod don't follow other nice projects. :goodjob:

Expect a new scenario.

:cool:

I expect to change a ton of things, top to bottom. This includes adding and removing units as I see fit.
I expect to finish the policy trees this time.

Sounds good to me. Even if I would love more units (with upgrades - has to do with last point)

I expect to add a ton of new civilizations, and probably expand this out of Mesopotamia and into other areas around the Mediterrenean.

:king:

I will be looking at the tech tree and seeing how I can change it. I may decide to change the tech tree to feature less technologies, more expensive ones.

@Techtree: :goodjob:
But please *begging* don't make it shorter. :( I personally even would perefer the opposite - make it longer on start:
  • to make chariot warface become really important and powerfull until horseback riding/phalanx-warface
  • to add some bronce age warface and -trade
  • to add even more intersting, more different gameplay each time one play the mod

(Scenarios may be set on developed start then, if nessesary.)

Anyway, its great to see you back here. :)

Yeah, great! I'm happy this mod don't follow other nice projects. :goodjob:

I thought it would but my heart has changed its course. :)

Sounds good to me. Even if I would love more units (with upgrades - has to do with last point)

Some initial unit changes:
- Heavy Swordsman renamed Elite
- New unit: Helepolis (1 move, 1 range, 15 strength, 16 ranged strength, +100 vs. cities)
- New unit: Siege Ship (2 move, 3 range, 10 strength, 12 ranged strength, +100% vs. cities)
- Peltast now requires Ballistics
- Ballista now requires Ballistics (If Ballista isn't a unit in V4, it was added unto my build at least and now is being moved)

:king:

@Techtree: :goodjob:
But please *begging* don't make it shorter. :( I personally even would perefer the opposite - make it longer on start:

• to make chariot warface become really important and powerfull until horseback riding/phalanx-warface
  • to add some bronce age warface and -trade
  • to add even more intersting, more different gameplay each time one play the mod

So far I've just moved Code of Laws into Classical and added a new tech, Ballistics, to replace it.

Lists like this are absolutely perfect for me when it comes to feedback. Exactly what I need.

(Scenarios may be set on developed start then, if nessesary.)

Anyway, its great to see you back here. :)

It's good to be back. College still takes priority, however.

Been hard at work with some new additions.

Rome and Sumeria have been added. No I will not be adding Nubia. Carthage is the next civ I'm working on.

Unit Hierarchy:

Spoiler :

Melee
Warrior -> Swordsman -> Elite
Axeman -> Swordsman -> Elite
Spearman -> Heavy Spearman

Ranged
Archer -> Peltast
Slinger -> Peltast
Chariot Archer -> Horse Archer

Mounted
Horseman -> Clibanarii

Siege
Catapult -> Onager
Ballista
Helepolis

Naval
Trireme -> Quadquereme -> Quinquereme
Siege Ship

Italicized units never go obsolete.

Unique Units:
Spoiler :

Spearman:
Hoplite (Greeks)
Immortal (Persians)
Vulture (Sumerians)
Shukuthlu (Mitanni)

Swordsman:
Auxilia (Rome)

Elite:
Legion (Rome)

Archer:
Bowman (Babylon)

Chariot Archer:
Three-Man Chariot (Hittites)
Mariyannu Chariot (Mitanni)

Horseman:
Companion Cavalry (Greeks)
Skirmisher (Medes)

Clibanarii:
Noble Cavalry (Lydia)

Great Merchant:
Trader (Phoenicia)

Here is the planned policies for the current NYI Trade branch.
Feedback wanted.
Spoiler :

Trade
  1. Opener: 25% Gold in the Capital.
  2. Diplomacy: Quantity of Resources gifted by City-States increased by 100%. 50% Happiness from gifted Luxuries.
  3. Tax Collectors: Every Citizen in the Capital produces 1 Gold.
  4. Bribery: 25% more Influence from Gold gifts. In addition, City-States decay 20% faster for rival civilizations.
  5. Sea Trade: Coastal Cities provide +2 Gold and +2 Production.
  6. Alliances: Friendship decays 33% slower than normal. Militaristic City-States produce units twice as fast when you are at war with a common foe.
  7. Finisher: City-States produce 25% of the Science they produce for themselves, and luxuries provide +1 Happiness

Another update.

I've been doing a lot of thinking. By the next release of the mod (can't give an ETA, sorry), it will be a somewhat different experience. Aside from all the bugfixing, new units and civs I've added, I'll also be scrapping the original scenario. Instead, my plans are currently:

- Revert Macedon back to Greece. This will allow me more flexibility.
- Create all new scenarios based off of historical events/battles. My current plans are:
  • Mesopotamia (Greece, Hittites, Medes, Babylon, Sumeria, Egypt, Phoenicia, Lydia, Mitanni)
  • Alexander's Conquests (Greece, Achaemenids, Egypt, maybe others?)
  • Punic Wars (Rome, Carthage)
  • Persian Expansion (Achaemenids, Babylon, Medes, Lydia, etc.)

My goal is to mod the four different game speeds and add my own if necessary. Each scenario will have its own game speed, turn count, and map. They'll use the same tech tree, some scenarios will have a locked tech tree and others will have slowed research paces. The scenario can also be played on a random map, but I have to redo city-state names to allow this. It'll be a process, but I'm confident I'll get it done. Sometime.

Could you save the original, and just add new ones?

Of course. There's a backup for everything. The new map will be clearly labeled as new.

If you want the original map, I'll be more than glad to provide it, but it will use a new time scale (300(250?) turns, 2000 years, 3000 B.C.).

Policies
So far:

1. Trade is in, completely functional.
2. Updated Tradition, untested.
3. Work will begin on Polytheism/Monotheism. In fact, this'll take a while. I'm thinking about removing them, and making a Tactics/Religion tree.

Updates:
- Greece has been removed from the Mesopotamia scenario. This was a pure gameplay decision. It removes the empty left side of Africa and takes away an extremely isolated Greece (Greece was more isolated than Egypt, and it was affecting the gameplay).
- As such, the map has been cropped to a square 50x50. Now that doesn't sound like that much, but when you play it, it feels perfect. This is the map size that I'm happy with. Every civilization starts out relatively close to one another. This is good for a gameplay scenario of 250 turns.
- There will be one scenario of each kind. TSL location, random resource allocation. This will make a different gameplay experience of each kind. There will be no random location map. At this time, at least.
- Work has begun on the Punic Wars scenario. It will be extremely different than the Mesopotamia scenario. While the Mesopotamia focuses on getting the highest score possible, the Punic Wars is about pure domination. You have 100 turns to take control of the Mediterranean and conquer the enemy capital. This will be easier said than done. The cities will be tough and the AI gets all their little production/happiness bonuses. You will play as either Carthage or Rome, and Greece will be an unplayable civilization. You start with a ton of technologies, but the research pace is slowed so you shouldn't be able to research many more. Research wisely. You won't have access to the best combat units (Siege Ship, Helepolis, Clibanarii, Elite, Quinquereme) unless you really plan to get to them. You most likely will not be able to get them all.

Screenie updates.
1. Turn 101 of my little playtest. I'm playing as Sumeria, a brand new civilization. You may notice artwork from the Wonders DLC. Do not worry. This DLC will not be required to play the scenario. I've included that artwork into my custom atlases. Here I started out and began to rapidly expand, preventing Media and Babylon from doing much off the start. King difficulty. On higher difficulties Sumeria will probably be really hard to play, especially against Media's Great Generals (they attacked me and did some damage).
2. Screenshot of Lydia, same playtest. They're expanding quite nicely towards the Hittites (they have no other direction to go). Once they meet, I fully expect them to declare war.

3. Civilopedia of the Sumerians. Listed on the side are all the civilizations currently present in the mod. Credit to Firaxis for the artwork/pedia entries.

4. Helepolis pedia entry. The Helepolis is the strongest siege unit in the game, capable of a 32 attack against cities (yes, 32). But it moves 1 turn at a time, with a 1 range. It's 20 strength makes it hard to take down with melee units as well. These things are really expensive, however.

5. Qanat's new icon. From the Wonders DLC. Enjoy. The old icon sucked anyway.

6. Hannibal's pedia entry. Artwork credits to ambrox62. Uses a custom DOM image (I used ambrox's Iberia leader for the image) and his Iberia's Diplo screen image. I made a custom map for the menu.

7. Fully completed top 5 policies. The bottom 2 are next on my list. I still don't know what to do with them yet. Still planning this out. You may notice some icon changes. They are to better represent the policy's function.
Tradition: Focuses on culture and the capital.
Liberty: Focuses on expansion and happiness.
Honor: Focuses on military and experience.
Slavery: Focuses on production and maintenance.
Trade: Focuses on influence and gold.

Proposed new bottom 2 (feedback?):
Tactics: Focuses on military and strategy (strategy resources, etc.)
Religion: Focuses on culture and tall cities.

8. Code of Laws' new spot on the tree, plus the new tech, Ballistics, replacing Code of Laws' old spot. Ballistics' icon is terrible. I've been really lazy with those since I got back. It's placeholder.

Attachments

• Meso_5_1.jpg
    Meso_5_1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 189
  • Meso_5_2.jpg
    Meso_5_2.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 253
  • Meso_5_3.jpg
    Meso_5_3.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Meso_5_4.jpg
    Meso_5_4.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Meso_5_5.jpg
    Meso_5_5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Meso_5_6.jpg
    Meso_5_6.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Meso_5_7.jpg
    Meso_5_7.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Meso_5_8.jpg
    Meso_5_8.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 192
Looks great! Unfortunately I don't own any DLC, but might consider buying for stuff like this!

Looks great! Unfortunately I don't own any DLC, but might consider buying for stuff like this!

Words of kindness. Keep your eyes open, the next version may come out sooner than I expected.

I updated my Version 5 notes right now. I may decide to include Punic Wars as well.

I find Civ5 mods and scenarios disheartening. :sad: They are usually in need of upgrades and implementing those involves the user deleting things, or they promise more and more but because of that they never get finished, or Firaxis changes the game and it messes up the scenario, or the scenario designer walks away with fatigue or a busy life.

But this second try "Ancient Mesopatamia" bears watching. A fresh restart... building from the wisdom gained on the first try, and keeping the scale small and more 'do-able' and finishable before the inevitable fatigue and busyness sets in... maybe this one time I will be glad to download a Civ5 scenario. Lets wait and see.

I find Civ5 mods and scenarios disheartening. :sad: They are usually in need of upgrades and implementing those involves the user deleting things, or they promise more and more but because of that they never get finished, or Firaxis changes the game and it messes up the scenario, or the scenario designer walks away with fatigue or a busy life.

But this second try "Ancient Mesopatamia" bears watching. A fresh restart... building from the wisdom gained on the first try, and keeping the scale small and more 'do-able' and finishable before the inevitable fatigue and busyness sets in... maybe this one time I will be glad to download a Civ5 scenario. Lets wait and see.

Excellent point.

Versions 1-4 were beta for me...Version 5 is like "Final release beta" in which case afterwards will be the full release of the game. I'm learning more and more of the process everytime I open up my program, and I'm learning more about creating a fun experience.

I definitely agree with the small scale of things. I think I tried too big and got too caught up with "realistic environment, open world, etc." and didn't realize how it negatively affected gameplay. So, I scaled back to see how I could simplify things. For example, Mesopotamia now only is a Time victory. This makes thing so much easier. I don't have to worry about a Culture victory, and it still makes fun gameplay: get the largest score. You could still accomplish this by building a large empire, or building Wonders and staying small. This mirrors history a bit more than "capture all the capitals" and stuff. Plus I find it better and more immersive that way.

I'm still adding new stuff, but just to enhance the experience and remove some unbalances - I know for a fact it was possible to get cities with ridiculous defenses and it was impossible to siege...well, now you can, with the help of Helepolis to aid your attack.

I look forward to the release of V5, which will come shortly after I finish the policies.

Will be adding a new tech called Irrigation, which grants the Civil Service farm bonus and access to the Aqueduct.

If you don't know, there is a sound file for three technologies within the files that aren't used - one of which happens to be Ballistics (The other two are Publishing and Calculus) - while the quote might not be era specific, could still be good to use!

Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?

If you don't know, there is a sound file for three technologies within the files that aren't used - one of which happens to be Ballistics (The other two are Publishing and Calculus) - while the quote might not be era specific, could still be good to use!

Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?

I'll keep that in mind. I know that Ballistics was an unused technology because it crashed my text file when I accidently overrid it. >.> I didn't know there was a soundfile.Thank you.

I updated the blogs to include one blog post. I'll just copy/paste the text here so if you want to read it, you can. Most of the changes discussed in this blog are in the updated patch notes.

Spoiler :

11-4-11

What's taking so long?

I took a really long break after Version 4 hit off around the beginning of September. College had started, and I was starting to get burned out by the scenario. I was unhappy with a few things, and instead of persevering, I decided to call it a day and leave the scenario behind to rot in the dust. I chalked it up as an accomplishment, as I was able to deliver a playable experience and share it with others. And I was content with that. Last week, however, I decided to give the scenario another shot. I wanted to complete this experience and finally make my entry into the modding community.

So, after I returned, I had numerous things to fix. My policies were broken and not fun. My scenario was too large and too peaceful. There weren't enough civilizations and I felt too restricted with the victory conditions. I felt like the gameplay got shallow towards the end and the tech tree needed improvement. So off to work I went! The minute I came back I explored every opportunity for me to improve. No area of the game was safe. I started off with new civilizations. With a bit of planning I managed to get them in, and I'm very pleased with the result. I feel like these civilizations are balanced and have unique playstyles.

I also decided to fix my policies. They were in a messy state following Version 4. So I did my best to overhaul them. First, I decided to complete the existing branches, finally adding Trade and making it fully functional. Then I noticed how sloppy Tradition was; that got changed as well and I feel the final result is much more coherent than before. Slavery was overpowered beyond belief; the amount of production a city could pump out was simply unacceptable. Slavery received a bit of an overhaul; I decided to slowly deliver the production and in smaller quantities, and in some cases focus on the infrastructure more. Polytheism was a mess; I didn't know where to go with this tree and it shows. The policies were disjointed and didn't follow a logical manner. I decided to can every policy and start from scratch. It now functions very similarly to Piety, but this is good. Firaxis isn't dumb and the results show in the playtesting. Monotheism was a bit tougher. I decided to remove the tree and have one true culture tree. This left an empty hole in the policies, so I filled it with a conqueror's branch. In these scenarios, you need to be strong. I used Autocracy as my base and I crafted the new Operations branch. It's similar to Autocracy but has a few changes, overall, it should be balanced. If I get any ideas, I'll stuff them in here. The last change I decided to make was to add a science tree. And thus, Philosophy was born, and stuffed straight between Polytheism and Operations. Philosophy is pure science, and it may actually unbalance the game, so heavy attention will be focused here.

I also added new techs were I felt the game was lacking. For example, there was no Farm bonuses. So I added Irrigation and Medicine, which both add output to Farms on rivers and away from rivers, respectively. Moving Code of Laws back to allow you to get Courthouses sooner, I slotted Ballistics in its place. I also messed around with many tech links; the new tree should be more logical to navigate but also better, gameplay-wise. You shouldn't be reliant on naval techs until the end of the tree, so if you don't like navy, you're not forced to tech them.

All of these changes just brush the surface of what I've done to this mod. After this patch, I expect the Mesopotamia scenario to be truly worthy of being a Civilization V mod.

I am in the processing of final playtesting. I hope to release this version soon!

Version 5 has been completed. Playtesting is under way. It is still subject to tweaks before my release.

Release will sometime in the week of Sunday, November 6 - Saturday, November 12. November 10 is my birthday so maybe I'll release it then. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom