Sentoya, Island of Opportunity

Las Sombras de Justicia​

Type: Vigilante group

Prominent individuals:
Hernando Lopez (founder) - Until forming Las Sombras, Hernando was an unremarkable shopkeeper selling groceries in a rough part of the city. For years he accepted getting robbed and extorted as just an irritating part of the business until the day he returned to his shop to find his wife had been tortured and raped by one of the local gangs. Enraged he took Maria to the nearest hospital before returning to his street where he quickly rounded up a group of other business owners.
He spoke to them passionately for fifteen minutes, encouraging them to take back their street from the criminals. About half agreed to join him, taking up whatever they could find that could be used as a weapon and tracking the gang down.
It didn't take long to find them in a small open area drinking liquor stolen from Hernando's store, smoking pot and joking about what they had done to Maria. Insensate with rage Hernando didn't even check to make sure the others were following as he leaped at the closest gang-banger, kitchen knife in hand. Before the stoned criminals even realised he was there the knife was embedded in their comrades jugular. Buoyed at Hernando's success the other vigilantes dived in stabbing with knives, swinging with bats or just kicking them into a bloody pulp.
It was over in minutes, the entire gang was dead and the vigilantes were mostly unharmed other than a few cuts and bruises. Surveying their they agreed to stand up to the gangs that preyed on them, that they would defend themselves and each other from the depradations of criminals.
And they did. By acquiring better weapons and setting up means to communicate with each other any criminals who attempted to threaten a business on Calle Santa Maria would find their exit blocked by heavily armed shopkeepers and then would find their lifeless body being dumped off the El Salvador coast.

Maria Lopez - The wife of Hernando Lopez. She still bears the scars of the attack that led to the creation of Las Sombras. She is the chief recruiter of Las Sombras, using her injuries and her survival story to encourage business owners and residents of areas neighbouring the group's territory to join them and stand up to the criminal gangs that terrorise them.

Rosa Amoraga - One of the original Sombras, personally killing two of the gangbangers with her son's baseball bat. Has a haberdashers shop. Is the groups unofficial police liason as she has a number of relatives in the force.

Jorge Hiu - The son of a hispanic mother and Chinese father, Jorge's family were terrorised by racist hispanic gangs until Las Sombras expanded into their neighbourhood and expelled the gangs. In gratitude Jorge has become the armourer of Las Sombras, he is able to acquire small amounts of guns and ammunition from his family in China. Either 'requesitioned' by an uncle in the People's Liberation Army or stolen by a cousin who works in an arms factory.

Luiz Alonso - A fisherman who handles Las Sombras maritime operations. Primarily dumping the bodies of gang members and carrying out exchanges with the Chinese smugglers who bring the weapons in.

Buildings: Six small shops and a jetty in El Salvador

My apologies for seeming a bit distant folks; real life has been a bit busy trying to make sure I have all work in, among other things.

In good news the Election Registration thread is open if you wish to stand for election. I dunno when I'll lock the candidate lists, probably in 72 hours or so. Anyway if you want the clout (and headache) that comes with being a Consul, please feel free to join in!

I see. But as I claimed the island's namesake first, do I get to keep it?

Indeed, you may have the namesake hotel.

John Everest is throwing himself into the election, so the Jacobins don't acclaim the Diligent election.

I suppose this is a good time to say you can sponsor one candidate per position! So you can fill out applications for all 4, provided you use a different character for each.

Just figured there might be a misconception there. Granted the likelihood of winning all four is extremely difficult due to guilt by association. Snobby aristocrats, for example, will likely not want to vote for someone who is advocating, or is friends with someone who is advocating full equality.

Ayup. Unfortunately, the Navy is neither Noble nor Faithful, and far too poorly paid to hope to be Diligent. Plus if anyone but the Commodore were elected, their subordinacy to the Commodore might prove to be a conflict of interest.

Maria Lopez urges all citizens to vote for the candidates of el Hermanidad de Democracia in any elections in which they are eligible to vote as she believes they are most likely to rid Sentoya of crime.

27th Election Candidate Roster

Common Election:

Carlos Lopez (HD) - Platform of democratising the country, abolishing the monarchy and nobility.
Domingo Badajoz (RNS) - In direct opposition to the Hermandad, has a platform of upholding the monarchy. Also a military leader.
Vito Abana (RMP) - Vito stands for better schools, business investment, the acquirement of more tourists (with aid of additional hotels...), lower unemployment, the encouragement (but not forcing) of higher wages, the increase in entertainment and for social freedoms such as sexual freedoms. Vito also stands for legalised prositution, which he believes can be taxed like any other industry for the benefit of the nation. Royalist.

Faithful Election

Chuy Feliciano (HD) - Platform of democratising the country, abolishing the monarchy and nobility.

Diligent Election

John Everest (EGL) - Everest runs as a self-made entrepreneur and longtime loyal citizen of Sentoya. He will promote a fair business system, which will be independent from the state and interventionism. Everest completely supports the monarchy, and its royal position, our culturally ingrained nobility, and our good institutions of government.
Franny Tate (RMP) - Same policies as Vito Abana.
Robert de Valle (HD) - Platform of democratising the country, abolishing the monarchy and nobility.

Noblest Election

Maria Monterio (HD) - Platform of democratising the country, abolishing the monarchy and nobility.

===

Chuy Feliciano runs unopposed to great acclaim from the poor and faithful, the non-discussion of social issues rallying many religious individuals behind him. As such, Mr. Feliciano now occupies the Faithful seat by default.

The Noblest election, in a fluke, goes to Maria Monterio due to no opposition.

The Diligent and Common Elections, however, are still fully open! Please feel free to cast your votes for each.

Current Sentoya law is first-past-the-post; all players please vote for one of the candidates. Or rather, endorse them: this will influence the groups you have pull with to vote for them. While an atheist organisation would have minimal pull with the faithful, large business groups would probably have a lot of influence on where the rich put their votes.

I'll say votes lock in approximately 3 days. After that we just need to quickly elect a monarch, and actual gameplay may proceed. :)

Commodore Badajoz wishes to offer his full support for Mr Everest for Diligent Consul, and himself (naturally) for Common Consul. The Navy wishes to stress that it is entirely neutral in matters political - it is loyal to the Crown, whatever comes. It endorses no one, including the Commodore.

The Royal Firefighters support the continuation of the Monarchy, as the Republican Firefighters sounds much less cool

OCC: I thought you would put a NPC running against me, but this is much better for me and ten times more hilarious. :lol:

IC: I, Carlos Lopez, would like to congratulate my colleges of Hermidad de la Democratica who have won a seat in the elections. If we gain one more seat then we will be able to democratize the country properly and fairly! Sentoya will be a free nation once again! We endorse Carlos Lopez and John Everest for the Common Elections and the Diligent Elections respectively.

Democracy will give you more of a say in the matters of the state. It will make tourists feel safer because we would be viewed as a fairer country, therefore more will want to visit and come back more often, which will bring money to Sentoya. Democratic states are on average richer and happier than dictatorships. There will be less of a gap in wealth under a democracy, the rich will no longer exploit the poor! So a vote for a democracy is a vote for your future!

VIVA LA DEMOCRATICA!
VIVA LA DEMOCRATICA!
VIVA LA DEMOCRATICA!!!

OOC: I thought there would be NPCs too :lol:, but this is perfectly enjoyable.

John Everest votes for himself in the Diligent election, and endorses (and votes for) Vito Abana in the Common election.

Philanthropist Martín Diaz warns against having one party gain too much power in the elections. As the HD already have two positions without contest his support goes to Domingo Badajoz and John Everest.

The grain of salt hereby opens it doors to electoral candidates to have a chance to speak to some of my patrons. You know shaking a couple of hands here and there, increases your visibility to the general populace, and might be of help while to trying to get yourself elected.

Vito Abana and Franny Tate will be both voting for themselves naturally.

Christensen Pleasures urges the people to vote for the Royal Merchent Party, who is loyal to the monarchy and is very keen on improving the well being of Sentoya.

Vote Vito and Franny for Victory!

We must bring joy to all!

Cool NES, bro!

Sentoya Industries

Organisation – Corporations.

Key members and leader –
Kamijou Keichi- me, the leader
John Shepard- PR.
Allen Mark- Accounting
Alice Vittus - Human management and employee satisfaction maintainer
Markus Ramius - cheif executive who goes around selling my products.

Buildings – A port berth, for our resources. 2 warehouses, one for raw resources, one for finished goods waiting to be shipped. 1 recycling center for PR and cost reduction. 2 Heavy Industries and 1 light industries.

I support economic expansion, and procurement of land else where...

John Everest and Domingo Badajoz are our choices.

Endorsements locked! To be counted! We shall know our other two Consuls soon!

Patriotic Fool, <Nuke>, please give me some more info on the leaders of your organisations please; I need the info to complete the stats sheet. :)

The Common Race between Vito Abana, Carlos Lopez, and Domingo Badajoz for populist Consul has been a tight one!

In the end, however, the Royal Navy's Commodore Badajoz has seen victory. Many who would have voted for Vito Abana instead voted for Badajoz to preserve the monarchy; with many of the wealthy behind the Abana ticket, it was natural they'd pool their resources to influence the minds of many. While the poor more or less equally supported both the military and HD, conservatism and nationalism saw many cast their lot with Badajoz, most content the Hermandad would protect the poor's interests well enough with their other two seats.

The Diligent Election has seen a landslide for John Everest. Many of the wealthy feared the Hermandad's intention to remove the wealthy's powerful grip on the seat and in society at large.

The Consulate is divided thusly:

Common - Domingo Badajoz (RNS)
Faithful - Chuy Feliciano (HD)
Diligent - John Everest (EGL)
Noblest - Maria Monterio (HD)

Consuls, upon inauguration, you shall be tasked with deciding a new Prince to lead the nation.

But first, we require candidates to stand up for the office!

All nationals of the Principate are welcome to register for election! Please use the signup thread for easy tracking!

The nominations will close in 48 hours, at which point we will have a quick election to decide who becomes our new sovereign.

Consuls, please deliberate with yourselves the rules of the royal election. Who shall vote in it, primarily. Will it be nationwide or restricted to a few, for instance?

Top Bottom