Byzantine lobby for civ5

Also by butcher, are you referring to the style of the art or the minarets?

It is a little weird to see the wonder built from the ground up with minarets.

Oh, and when Byzantines are added in via mod or expansion, their unique unit needs to be the fire siphons.

I think what he was trying to say was that, if you look at Byzantine culture in real life and how it was portrayed in the game, they are vastly different. You are right about the Hagia Sophia, but they had a few things that irked me: The Hippodrome was represented as a theater, when the Byzantines had many theaters. It would have been better to make the Hippodrome a Colosseum. Their Cataphracts were actually a Parthian unit, which was superimposed on the Byzantines for only a few short campaigns. Comitatenses as Swordsmen or Macemen, Dromones as Triremes, or Fire siphons as Catapults would have been much more realistic.

Anyway, was that a Pharos-like model I saw for the lighthouse? I like it :).

Yes it is a Pharos :)

As for the butchery, i do not own civ4 and never really played it, but just from seeing the civ4 Hagia Sophia i was shocked. It doesnt look one bit like the Hagia Sophia, and the minarets are the least of it. If the model was accurate, but just had minarets, i would have been dissapointed, but now i am quite annoyed that they made something looking like an arabian building with domes and presented it as the HS ;)

Top Bottom