New IGN preview

the walls, castles and towers still need people to operate.

who is there to operate it?

Who's there to work the farms, mine in the mines, and herd the sheep? :p I'm sure it will all be in a day's work for the civilians...kinda like a militia (although all that would work behind the scenes...just like you don't control how the people farm...)

Yeah, I'm with you there. So unless the Byzantines are in the game or planned to be in the expansions, The Turks capital should be Constantinople.

It was popularly referred to as Istanbul in Ottoman times (hell, even the commoners would say they were going "Eis Tein Polis" (to the City) during Byzantine times. I'd say it's an appropriate name.

one thing: if firaxis has any sense of history the capitals name should be Constantinople. not Istanbul as that is incorrect
Depends. If you want the official name, it should be that. If you want the commonly used name, then Istanbul.

but how long it remained named after Constantine the great after this I do not know.
Officially, until 1923 (though they requested others to honor the change in 1930), unofficially by the Turks, before 1452.

The Zulu might still be in.
I seriously doubt it. This Askia sounds like a rebranded Shaka, a nice crazy psycho African to attack you should help the Shakaphiles. No need for two war focused African civs.

Yep, the announcement of Askia and the Songhai pretty much assures that Shaka and the Zulu will not be in. Maybe in an expansion, but not in the vanilla game. It's a bit disappointing, but I'm sure I'll learn to love Askia just the same.

Well now there is only 3 more civs to be reveled, will Greece make the cut, will Spain be left behind, is there another Songhai out there waiting to catch us by surprise?

I really, *really* hope that multiple copies of the same resource have benefits outside of the number of units you can build. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'd very much like these extra resources to grant bonus yields or commerces to all your cities (so iron might provide bonus hammers, silk might provide you bonus Culture & Gold & wheat might grant you bonus food & gold). That way there is a reason for the non-warmongers out there to try & acquire additional copies of the same resource!

Aussie.

Well now there is only 3 more civs to be reveled, will Greece make the cut, will Spain be left behind, is there another Songhai out there waiting to catch us by surprise?

16 / 18 Civs already revealed. There's only two left. :)

Also, I hope they take a leaf out of the "Colonization" book, by giving both Leaders & Civilizations their own *unique* traits! Makes more sense than the generic traits introduced in CivIII (& refined in CivIV).

Aussie.

With two civilizations left, Greece will definitely make the cut. It would be heresy and blasphemy if it is left out. This leaves Spain, Persia, and possibly Babylon as the only possible contenders for that 'last place'. I highly doubt they'll throw in another 'surprise' civilization. Personally I'm hoping for Persia.

Not my favourite choice, but the Vikings (or another Viking based, Scandinavian civ) are definitely an option.

Not my favourite choice, but the Vikings (or another Viking based, Scandinavian civ) are definitely an option.

The trailer seems to point in that direction seeing as how it hasn't lied to us yet

I though so too, I mean it would be quite a c'tease to show them prominently in the opening trailer then not to have them. but I remove them from my list because it looks like that may have been what Firaxis has done.

They may have, but whether we like it or not, they have, at least, decent odds of being #18.

Agreed. I have had many a great game with both Ragnar and Brennus in BTS. I would love to see one of them in Civ V but IMO

Top Bottom