Byzantine lobby for civ5

Btw do you think there might be an issue with civ5 in regards to the high polygon count of these buildings?
The Hagia Sophia has (iirc) a bit more than 150.000 polygons, and the other three buildings have around 40.000 each.

To compare, a typical civ4 building has (i believe) only a few hundred polygons.

That's too bad... I will have to make something simpler then, or use some skins as well :)

Alternatively i could create some very simple generic houses etc, for the rest of the city, and thus maybe leave some room for more polygons in the special buildings.
At least i hope that will be doable...

In reality i model things as simply as is possible. But i try to model everything, windows, pieces sticking out here and there, octagons and decahexagons (probably this is the wrong word in english), slopping roofs etc.

Maybe with 3dsmax there will be fewer polygons, we shall see soon :)

This is something i made in 3dsmax (which i got a few days ago and am still learning). It is the dome and elaborate octagon of the centre of the Panagia Chalkeon. It is really just a collection of the simplest shapes i could use:

At the scale we are talking about here, there is no reason why the windows and entrances could not be achieved via clever textures.

The roof too could lose the dome section and use a texture to give that impression too. Obviously, all curve shapes are horribly costly for 3d models.

The entire object could probably be rendered in what... ~16 polygons? It's the textures where the real detail should be.

Hm up to now i have never used bump maps, instead i modelled the details and applied simple maps. This is how this was made:

Are you sure it would look the same when zoomed in a bit, if i did it your way?

I'm not sure if civ textures are going to support bump maps (it seems unlikely)

Here's what I'm trying to say though - replace the shape with the windows and entrances embedded in it with a plain octagon. Then take this texture and put it on each of the sides:

No bump maps required, and it probably looks pretty much identical from how most players will view your model.

In reality i model things as simply as is possible. But i try to model everything, windows, pieces sticking out here and there, octagons and decahexagons (probably this is the wrong word in english), slopping roofs etc.

That's nice and sure a big piece of work, but in the case of Civ4 it's not really worth the time.
Even when you zoom in into the scenerie at the highest level, you'll never be able to really see all these details.

Your last work looks okay for me :). How many polys?

I don't know what version of 3ds you're using but try looking under Utilities (the hammer icon in the interfaces I am used to)

Ok, this

has 3980 polys. So the finished Panagia Chalkeon will probably have around 10.000. Not horribly many i hope. Bryce would make four times that for the same moves...

Also could someone tell me just how big a building is in the closest zoom in civ4? This way i can calculate just how much detail would be visible :)

Also: does anyone know how i can view the objects shaded, and render them with shades? I am using 3dsmax 2010 but i suspect it is the same in previous versions too :)

Obviously, we don't know how the new game engine will work, but I think those polygon counts still seem very high - perhaps someone who is more familiar with Civ 4 city design can confirm what the standard is for that game?

Tell me, if you remove the dome on the top and replace the curved top windows with a triangular design (which will look very similar at a distance), what does the polygon count drop to?

Don't judge from the modelling, in reality i am very lazy and would avoid doing extra work like applying a texture for the windows :D (i would have to erase booleans first).

I think that civ5 will probably be able to manage 10.000 polys for some special buildings. The regular buildings would have far less, probably less than one tenth of that, so this would balance things out :)

Don't judge from the modelling, in reality i am very lazy and would avoid doing extra work like applying a texture for the windows :D (i would have to erase booleans first).

I think that civ5 will probably be able to manage 10.000 polys for some special buildings. The regular buildings would have far less, probably less than one tenth of that, so this would balance things out :)

Obviously, new game means better graphics and a higher polygon count, but I still feel that your poly counts are far too high - especially for objects that will be so small on screen most of the time.

I'm no expert on the subject, but Unreal Tournament 3 weapon models have around 10,000 polygons and they look like this.

It would be great if someone who was familiar with Civ 4 modding could shed some light on what the old standards for polygon counts were to give us some idea of what it will likely be on 5. From my brief googling, I see people talking about models from between 40 and 400 polys.

Some pics would be great as well. I have never played civ4, but untill civ5 comes out i will probably make some models for it and see if they can be used in the game without problems.

But a building with 40 polys would be nothing more than some very basic objects and a skin. I don't see how the Hagia Sophia (which i think exists in civ4) can be modelled with 400 polys, and not look like crap tbh!

Some pics would be great as well. I have never played civ4, but untill civ5 comes out i will probably make some models for it and see if they can be used in the game without problems.

But a building with 40 polys would be nothing more than some very basic objects and a skin. I don't see how the Hagia Sophia (which i think exists in civ4) can be modelled with 400 polys, and not look like crap tbh!

Now that I can do! One screenshot of max zoom civ models coming up...

Obviously 5 will have a higher polygon count than that - but I don't think we'll be talking 20x higher, and I think the main graphical improvements will be in texture resolution rather than model complexity

The civ4 Hagia Sophia has 692 polygons. Most buildings in Civ4 are around that range.

Units usually vary a bit, from ~400 to about double that.

And Civ4Col had bigger textures (256x, as opposed to 128x), but the units were about the same polycount.

Thank you for the pic, Chalks :)

Well that is a good size, i can create things which look ok in that size (and smaller).

I wish we also had a pic of the 692 polygon Hagia Sophia. Probably just some basic objects and skins.

Top Bottom