Worrying review: Tom Chick says AI and Diplomacy are dumb. Has "Serious Problems"

solidsmooky

Chieftain
Oh uh, I am now worried about Civ 5. This is from Tom Chick's preview of the game

If you're the kind of person who's worried that Civilization V is really going to suck you in, then you're the kind of person who needs to be worried. Because you're probably right. It's got some serious problems -- namely in terms of the under-developed diplomacy system and the AI's inability to handle warfare -- but it's also got that seriously addictive Civ quality. Plus, you can live every red-blooded American's dream of nuking Brussels (pictured). That'll teach them to foist their bitter sprouts on the rest of the world!

The AI is bad. I am so worried I am thinking about canceling my preorder!! :sad::sad:

This is one review. You're really going to base your decisions off of a single source?

He mentions it offhandedly as well. The guy seems to really like the game overall. Don't get so worked up.

The community has voiced concerns over Diplomacy interface. Some fears have been allayed with the 2kGreg live gameplay (history of deals, current deals, etc.).

On the AI: we can only wait to see. AI is not easy to program as it will always have limits and will not be comparable to human - so join CIV5 MP community for the real thrill.

It's the apocalypse! We all need to cancel our pre-orders and hide under our beds for the rest of our lives. :cry:

The diplomacy in Civ 4 was terrible as well, didn't stop the game being awesome.

Why should we care what Tom Chick thinks? There's already been plenty of live feeds of the press build to judge for yourself.

And who is Tom Chick? ... "an American television and movie actor, and independent journalist." who contributes to a <snip> games blog run by a <snip> cable TV network (SyFy).

Moderator Action: Warned for inappropriate language
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You guys forget its always that one guy with enough resolve that speaks truth to power in the face of positive reviews. He could be right!!

If the diplomacy is like civ4 (wich was really repetitive and exploitable) and the ai is like civ4 (really really bad) then its going to be a really good game. I dont think its going to be worst and probabilly it is going to be better(obiusly bad compared to a human but better)

Here's some more of his "qualifications" from his wikipedia page he probably "contributed" himself.

"Chick attended Harvard Divinity School and received a Masters of Theological Studies[1] with a focus on the Old Testament. Deciding not to pursue the ministry, he later moved to Hollywood"

I'm sure we can trust his opinion on Civ 5 though, instead of watching live feeds and using our brains.

You guys forget its always that one guy with enough resolve that speaks truth to power in the face of positive reviews. He could be right!!

This is true. It's telling the difference between that guy with the resolve to speak truth, and a random nutcase - that's the hard part.... :D

In a serious reply - I'm a little worried, too, as there are a lot of new concepts here and getting the AI to use them correctly isn't a trivial thing. But, I've loved just about all the Civ franchises before this, so they have a good track record, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I get my hands on it and see for myself.

And, hey, if the AI isn't up to par, maybe some modders will help us (there is a better AI mod for Civ IV done by the community, if you're unfamiliar - maybe something similar will be generated for Civ V)

That is in no way a review. Its a short statement. I will disregard it as such and run back to my beloved RPS.

The AI may have some works, but the advantage of steam is that developers can fix a lot with a lot less effect than patches require. That is, if they were to release standalone patches, it would be a lot of work to fix issues, even minor issues. With steam, minor updates are viable, do I expect them to fix a lot of issues in the first year our so. Until then we can go nuts with the ai. :groucho:

Top Bottom