Be honest! Who currently still prefers Civ IV?

kamex

Emperor
I think I may atm. Maybe I'm just not 100% settled with 5 yet. :confused:

It just came out. Gotta' get used to it.

...But I'm not gonna' lie. I'm currently right in the middle of a game of Civ IV, so I'm gonna' finish that up before I really get into Civ IV.

Civ 4 was terribad beyond anything, even Civ 3 on release.

Nothing has changed except your memory of events.

signed with the OP. It's just that Civ5 feels like... Nothing special. But maybe I'll get used to Civ5 and start to like it. So far, it feels more like CivRev to me then Civ game... :sad:

Civ 4 had a ton of bugs at realease as well - anyone who bought Civ4 at the Steam sale(a few months ago) will have no ability to understand those events. There are a few design flaws I greatly disagree with(no animations or saving in multiplayer /doh) but overall its a superior game IMHO. Anyone looking for Civ4:BTS-2 is looking in the wrong place though.

I prefer Civ IV still right now. There is a lack of information given to the player in Civ 5 and it makes the game very unenjoyable to have to play it on guess work.

In all honesty, I think what is going to happen unless the game changes tremendously through patches, is that this Civ is going to be the red headed stepchild of the Civ franchise, and that's just a downright shame.

So far, it feels more like CivRev to me then Civ game... :sad:

I must confess that, so far, Civ V strikes me as having "console" written all over it. I'm not saying I don't like it, but it does "feel" like a console game to me.

I hate Civ 5, it seems way too simplistic. I'm more of a micro-manager and Civ 5 seems like its oriented towards 5 year olds.

There are a few design flaws I greatly disagree with(no animations or saving in multiplayer /doh)

What? Can you elaborate?

I've been away from some time and haven't had time to read up on Civ 5 very much. I was about to purchase the game with the sole purpose of playing online with some friends.

I like Stratego better, nothing is ever good enough, I hate rainbows and puppies. change is bad.

I actually just closed my Civ 5 demo and started playing Civ 4 again. Something about it is too overwhelming for me.

I think I may atm. Maybe I'm just not 100% settled with 5 yet. :confused:
Only CiV demo here... so YMMV, but: They feel very different:
  • Civ IV is a fully matured game with two expansion and a buttload of great mods
  • Civ V just came out and is a paradigm shift regarding the map and combat

For now, I'll just treat them as different games, not as "upgrade" or anything - after all, you don't stop playing Civ because you're playing, let's say Mass Effect or Half-Life. But I am loving the hex map and 1upt already, it's making combat a lot more tactical than the stack of doom.

Cheers, LT.

I'm doing the demo. It's OK. civ4 is like a very old friend, I'm still a bit diffident with civ5. Potential is there though.

I miss the slider, it feels really SLOW to change my empire.

It feels like amuch slower game in general.

Civ V has a lot more balance of ideas than Civ IV did, with things like excess happiness not being wasted but instead going to golden age, gold that is actually a very useful commodity, more elegant diplo victory, and et cetera.

From a game design perspective, Civ V seems way better than Civ IV to me. Although there are some things that still need work, like a couple of things in the UI still being a little rusty and the overall feeling that you never have enough production to build anything. And then maybe I just need to get used to how slow everything plays. But other than balance and UI stuff (and maybe graphics, I still need to get used to them), I pretty much think every change they made from Civ IV to Civ V was a positive one.

Removal of religions and "first to discover this tech gets this" bonuses, slower culture, increased importance of gold, social policies that make you choose but you don't lose anything you already have when you choose them, removal of cottage spam. These are positive changes in my opinion, so Civ V is poised to be better than Civ IV. And it seems like they took a lot of steps to further balance out the different types of victory, which I think adds strategic depth above and beyond what Civ IV had.

Some of the comments here have me worried (haven't played it yet), but my fear was that Civ V will be a dumbed down, shallower, "consolised" version of Civ. And it is sounding like this is indeed the case.

I trust the opinions of those on this site over the good/positive reviews in the media. I have trouble trusting "game site" reviews, as the reviewer is probably not a civ-fanatic like most of us are. In fact, they're probably console-game-players that go from one game to the next each day.

Maps - Hexes > Squares
Interface - Civ4 > Civ5
Combat - Civ5 < Civ4 so far
AI - too soon to say
Overall - far too soon to say

However I hated Civ4 Vanilla and it wasn't until the BTS improvements as well as discovery of the "sweet spot" of custom settings/difficulty/map type that I really got into it.

ATM I see Civ5 with the potential to be the best game of the series - whether it's actually there yet or will take several XPs time will tell.

BUT I do HATE the hundred clicks it takes to actually get into the game.

And I hate not being able to rename units now that they actually live longer than 2 turns. (unless I just haven't discovered how to do it)

Me. CiV rounds take too long. 1upf is annoying (for me). Research by population? lol. Using EVERY single unit to be able to end the round is just WTF. And the interface totally f*cks me up. Looks great like Battle for Middleearth, but is not comparable to the well done Civ4 Interface.

Top Bottom