Crispy Review of Civ V

It reads like the game press-releases with a lot of filler words thrown in. All the 2K-Approved™ buzzwords are there :)

Then again, he considered civics to be a nuisance and didn't actually use them according to his own words so hardly a source well versed in the intricacies of Civ.
Common thread in all the radiant reviews seems to be that it is relative (or complete) newcomers to the franchise writing them based on limited experimentation with the aspects of the game.

Fortunately a few devs remain loyal to the more "hardcore" community (eg: EvE and CoH(no not City of Heroes...) ) but how long it will last before they try to go for the console community is a mystery i hope will never be unraveled .

Eve online is developing a FPS that is supposed to take missions from the Eve universe. I kinda look forward to it. IF it's available for PC and it's not an ubersoldier game, I prefer different classes with specialization that forces cooperation. That remains to be seen. But seeing how well Eve has evolved, I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Oh and btw , i went looking through some articles and something did truly disappoint me:
"First there's Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. Then there's Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Then there's Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes."

It's Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty . Things like that shouldn't go unnoticed :p

But that's totally off topic

for someone who tries to avoid war and is a defensive player/Civ Builder.... Civ V is unplayable to me. There is a large sect of players who enjoy playing like this and now its just randomized war against AI's actions which seem random... while doing the bidding for this odd, ridiculous entity called City-States.

the entire mode of the game is not enjoyable to me at all. Reviewing the game, you didn't take into account, the different ways to play the game have been reduced and eliminated? Thats a pretty glaring omission.

As a reviewer, I have to judge a game based on what it has, not what it could have had. If I based my judgement on what the game is missing, no game would ever be "complete" because I can always imagine something cool to add to it.

I have played a few peaceful games and while I did have to build a military to intimidate the AI not to attack me, I had quite a bit of fun going for culture and diplo victories, often secretly funding other peoples' wars and turning city states against the AI civs. Could there be more stuff added? Of course, and I'm sure there will be. But as it stands now, it's a very good game, roughness aside.

It reads like the game press-releases with a lot of filler words thrown in. All the 2K-Approved™ buzzwords are there :)

Then again, he considered civics to be a nuisance and didn't actually use them according to his own words so hardly a source well versed in the intricacies of Civ.
Common thread in all the radiant reviews seems to be that it is relative (or complete) newcomers to the franchise writing them based on limited experimentation with the aspects of the game.

Did you even read the first paragraph? I've been with the series since Civ 1.

I kinda agree with you about Mafia II. My reaction to it was rather lukewarm. ciV I can disagree but respect your passion in reviewing PC games

Don't worry about a few "haters" - keep up the good work.:)

Hey thanks for reading! To set the record straight, I am in no way saying that people don't have valid reasons for liking the game. I just haven't heard many of them. AI and polish are very much lacking and I said so in the review. "Simplification" is a matter of taste (some would call it streamlining things that are needlessly complex). In any event like I told someone earlier, I hope you can find a mod that makes the game enjoyable for you. I know the sucky feeling of throwing your money away.

As a reviewer, I have to judge a game based on what it has, not what it could have had.

Seems not to hinder you on putting hope into the future:
Civ IV got its last patch less than a year ago (4 years after launch) so I'm too not worried that the devs will get Civ V in perfect shape in short order.

Different yardsticks?

(...) AI and polish are very much lacking and I said so in the review
I agree - there's not enough Polish (a small typo from your side, no big deal ;)) in Civ5. And AI is definitely lacking an "I" :goodjob:

So you would rather make guesses than accept what someone who works at the site tells you? Ok then.
No, I'd rather trust what the site itself says than what some person of unknown credibility on the Internet claims.

Well Brian, you can certainly say that posting your work here has been a learning experience, huh? ;)

To set the record straight, I am in no way saying that people don't have valid reasons for liking the game. I just haven't heard many of them.

I couldn't agree more, but you still managed to nail every single half hearted attempt in your review. What I didn't see were any of the true complaints.

Given that many posters in this forum have made criticisms of the quality of the game upon release and are concerned that some of the problems will be permanently in the game, what did you really expect to gain Stethnorun from linking your review up (anonymously)? Why are you surprised that some posters feel that your review either lacks impartiality or insight?

Well Brian, you can certainly say that posting your work here has been a learning experience, huh? ;)

You're telling me. Though I must say, this is by far the worst (least mature) reaction I've ever gotten from any forum, on any game I've covered. I was a member of this forum for a while before Civ 5 even came out but I think this experience has really put a bad taste in my mouth. It's a sad day when the people on Gamefaqs come out looking more mature. Anyway, thanks to those of you who spent the time and effort reading, and better yet, debating in an intelligent way. Think I'll be moving on.

If the game is crap, it's crap.
If review is crap, it's crap.

It's not immature, it's IMHO.

If you want constructice criticism, I suggest you do some constructive thought while you write and add also some criticism.
Might get better reaction.

Using your language: I was waiting for something as sweet as honey but I just got bee stings all over my bottom.

You're telling me. Though I must say, this is by far the worst (least mature) reaction I've ever gotten from any forum, on any game I've covered. I was a member of this forum for a while before Civ 5 even came out but I think this experience has really put a bad taste in my mouth. It's a sad day when the people on Gamefaqs come out looking more mature. Anyway, thanks to those of you who spent the time and effort reading, and better yet, debating in an intelligent way. Think I'll be moving on.

I'm sorry, but your initial post came across quite badly. You should have said "I posted a review of this game here and would be happy to discuss it." And, better yet, summarize your main points that you wanted to talk about. It sure looked as if you were trying to pass it off as something cool that you stumbled on, and that is very poor form. I think this alone shaped a lot of the reaction that you got.

Top Bottom