Most Anticipated New Civilization

Which civilization do you anticipate the most in the new expansion?

• Netherlands

Votes: 91 24.8%
  • Mayans

Votes: 60 16.3%
  • Byzantines

Votes: 72 19.6%
  • Carthaginians

Votes: 69 18.8%
  • Celts

Votes: 75 20.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if I had to pick the music I'm looking forward to the most, it would be the Celts (Irish music ftw!). I think the least interesting will be the Dutch. No offense, but it'll probably be classical European music, which tends to blend together compared to the more exotic-sounding themes.

I know, I can't wait to hear Boudica talk Irish (I presuming, since Dublin is one of the cities under her control)

I know, I can't wait to hear Boudica talk Irish (I presuming, since Dublin is one of the cities under her control)

Would she speak Irish English?
Or would it be Gaelic.
I really have no idea.
I loved the Dutch music in CivIV Bts. Irish is great too.
I'm curious as to what Carthaginian music sounds like.

Would she speak Irish English?
Or would it be Gaelic.
I really have no idea.

My guess is Irish Gaelic. It's close to a living language (I usually lovingly refer to it as a Zombie language, but there are areas of Ireland known as Gaeltacht where people have to speak Gaelic). This will make it easier to find a native speaker.

Alternatively, it could be Welsh. According to Wikipedia, there are actually far more Welsh speakers than Irish speakers. It might actually be more accurate too since the Welsh were the Celtic peoples who were definitely on the British isles (they fled to Wales when the Anglo-Saxons came).

I'm curious as to what Carthaginian music sounds like.

I don't know if we know. Anyone remember what they had for Civ4? Probably the most logical thing would be Tunisian music, so it'll have an Arabic flair.

I will be playing the Celts first. I have to say I totally hate the idea of the "Celts" as a Civ and I always have done in earlier versions (I think there should be Gauls, Picts, various Brythonic tribes etc) but I love em too.

She would speak a Brythonic or Proto-Brythonic lanuague btw not a Goidelic lanaguage which is what Irish, Manx and Scots Gaelic is derived from. Welsh is a Brythonic language so she should sound Welsh. :D

I know im being pedantic but I love "Celtic" history and the Iceni were Britons.

Well, we both agreed it should be Insular Celtic. I did not realize there had been that much of a distant divergence. I speak a little Irish Gaelic, which is why I want her to speak that, but I agree the Welsh is a better choice. Neither will be completely inappropriate since, the further back in time you go (and the more obscure the language), the more wiggle room you have, imo. As long as they don't pull another Egypt speaking Arabic thing I'll be happy (I have a suspicion that Carthage will speak Arabic, however).

Given Elizabeth and Napoleon, I'd say the Dutch today.

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/b3347b98b6d162aa7f47f4f155f7ecde.jpg
To me this looked like Blue/White Celtic icon (Pictish Warrior)

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/9/2012/02/6287442e8b2a667821e64bdbdcbd3e25.jpg
But here it clearly looks Green/Blue. Looks like my eyes were wrong here...

If we do get Sweden, I hope they have Hakkapeliitta as a unique unit :D

I don't think these are the same civs. Look VERY closely at the symbols. One is curved and flower-y while the other is straight-edged.

EDIT: Actually, its the centers that look different. They have pretty close shapes, but different patterns.

EDITx2: But one has the Pictish Warrior and the other has Cardiff...aren't those both Celtic? The city is not occupied, but it could have been captured. And the Pictish Warrior could have been gifted by a CS. Or they changed the symbol between these pictures and they actually are the same civ?!

It would be historically inaccurate to have her speaking Irish English. The language hadn't existed yet.

I'm almost certain she won't be speaking Irish English, that would be a ridiculous mistake. However, there's a debate over whether she'll be speaking Irish Gaelic or Welsh. I think Welsh is more likely, but I'd love her to say in her defeat speech "Pog mo thoin" ;)

I hope they put more Indigenous North American civs in. Cheyenne or Celilo, or anyone else.

This thread isn't supposed to be about who you want in (the Civ speculation thread might be better for that). It's about which of the currently announced civs are you looking forward to the most.

I'm really looking forward to playing the Byzantines, especially after the rather flavorless East Rome from Civ4 (maybe it was their grey colour). But I'm also going to play the Dutch as soon as the expansion comes out, I really like their mercantile and seafaring playstyle, as well as the colour orange :D

The third civ in my queue will most probably be one of the four surprise civilizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom