Figure out what Attila is speaking

This is something I don't really understand. Why do the accents have to be "comedy accents"? This is not what I meant. I meant using "serious" speech with an accent, something that sounds not like somebody making fun of a foreign language, but like a foreigner speaking English, which is not his native tongue, with his native accent.

Go and listen to the speeches in Medieval 2: Total War. They weren't intended as comedy relief, but they sound comically every time. They are spoken in English by people with French, German, Arabic, Spanish and Russian accents, except for proper English for, um, the English. And then we have flowers like that:

ZEE ENEMY GENERALL FLIS ZE FILD. HE HAZ KEIN HONOR!

Go and listen to the speeches in Medieval 2: Total War. They weren't intended as comedy relief, but they sound comically every time. They are spoken in English by people with French, German, Arabic, Spanish and Russian accents, except for proper English for, um, the English. And then we have flowers like that:

That brings back some memories! :lol:
The Italian factions and France had the most horrible lines and accents if I recall correctly. Good thing the factions in Empire spoke their native languages like German, French, Russian or Swedish.

That brings back some memories! :lol:
The Italian factions and France had the most horrible lines and accents if I recall correctly. Good thing the factions in Empire spoke their native languages like German, French, Russian or Swedish.

I utterly hated that in Med2 the Byzantines used the guys with Spanish accent instead of a unique one. Also, Hungarians with Russian accent... But I agree that it was great in Empire that there were lines in almost every language that ought to be in the game. Only some minor factions like Georgia, Dagestan, Hungary, Greece and Denmark lacked their own language, but it was a minor issue. Heck, in the game files there are even lines in Czech, although there is no Bohemia in the game :lol:

On topic: I think that native language in Civ 5 for leaders are a great idea. I remember watching some videos on youtube back in 2010 with introduction of each leader and his language. This was one of many things that finally made me buy Civ 5. I really like the aestethic that such unique leaders brought into the game.

After all, all factions in Civ 4 also spoke their language - though in form of unit speeches rather than leader's. It would be bland if they all spoke in English. It would sound in a cheesy rts-like style.

Yeah, check out the language thread and see if it's still needed for Oda. My point was that he isn't speaking Medieval Japanese. I'm sure his modern Japanese is fine. But that's still very enjoyable.

IIRC, my professors all claimed that the Japanese spoken before 1945 was very different from post-1945 Japanese, on the order of:

Pre-1945 Japanese:post-1945 Japanese>>Middle English:Modern English

Also, since there is such a difference between the spoken and written word in Japanese (rather akin to the differences previously extant in English), it would be hard to go by the written material of Nobunaga's time period. What little we have of it.

To my (admittedly) poorly-trained ears, he sounds to be speaking (more declaiming) in Tookyoo-ben (the dialect of the Kanto region AKA 'Standard Japanese'). Again, IIRC, he should at least be speaking in a Kansai dialect.

TL, DR version: He sounds to me very similar to how Bismarck speaks.

Go and listen to the speeches in Medieval 2: Total War. They weren't intended as comedy relief, but they sound comically every time.

It sounds like it was still intended if it does sound comical.
I have an example of "serious" speech: the speech in Assassin's Creed is really good and does not sound comical at all.

Assassins Creed uses one dialect. It doesn't have to deal with 30 accents.

Assassins Creed uses one dialect. It doesn't have to deal with 30 accents.

Well, to be fair, I think you're maybe just thinking of Assassin's Creed II here. In the series as a whole you've had (ostensibly) Arabic, Turkish, French, German, etc. accents. Nowhere near what Civ 5 would have to produce, but Igor is right to say that it's an example of accents done fairly well.

Even if, in Ezio's games are rather a lot of Italianisms like "bene" and "grazie" shoved in.

Yeah, I was thinking of 2. I do like how you can have it in Italian, btw.

I've asked my Chuvash-speaking friend about Attila's speech. He said that Chuvash is more similar to French than to this language. :)
Also, I can definetly say that there is a Russian accent in this speech.

Ok, so Attila's language is not Gothic (Germanic), Hungarian, Mongolic language, Latin, or most of the Turkic languages (Kumyk, Kazan Tatar, Turkish, Turkmen, Azero, Kazakh, Uzbek, Kyrgyz, and suprisingly, Chuvash)

Ossetian is still a possibility until a fluent speaker says no

Kartvelian language family, if Georgian is out, then is Svan, Mingrelian, and Laz out too

Northwest Caucasian- Abaza, Abkhaz, Adyghe, Kabardian, still a possibility

Northeast Caucasian- If Chechen is not the language, could it be Ingush, Avar, Andi, Tsez, Lak, Dargwa, Tabasaran, Lezgian, Aghul, Rutul or Tsakhur? There are still less spoken languages in this family.

Why would they go through the trouble and expense to find a fluent speaker of an obsure language? My vote is still a voice actor reading and embelishing some words on a script.

STALKER (FPSRPG horror survival game series, a must try :goodjob: but I guess most people here don't play first person shooters) has the same issue. I have to download a russian audio mod in order to make the game feel more athmospheric, not to be ruined by awful russian english accents (that are full of misspellings).

Wow, all this time and we still haven't figured it out? If nothing else, I guess I've got to hand it to the casting office.

STALKER [...] has the same issue. I have to download a russian audio mod in order to make the game feel more athmospheric, not to be ruined by awful russian english accents (that are full of misspellings).

Get out of here, Stalker!

Ok, so Attila's language is not Gothic (Germanic), Hungarian, Mongolic language, Latin, or most of the Turkic languages (Kumyk, Kazan Tatar, Turkish, Turkmen, Azero, Kazakh, Uzbek, Kyrgyz, and suprisingly, Chuvash)

Ossetian is still a possibility until a fluent speaker says no

Kartvelian language family, if Georgian is out, then is Svan, Mingrelian, and Laz out too

Northwest Caucasian- Abaza, Abkhaz, Adyghe, Kabardian, still a possibility

Northeast Caucasian- If Chechen is not the language, could it be Ingush, Avar, Andi, Tsez, Lak, Dargwa, Tabasaran, Lezgian, Aghul, Rutul or Tsakhur? There are still less spoken languages in this family.

I don't think he speaks any Caucasian language. At least I'm sure it's not Kartli (Georgian). Abkhaz and Adyge languages are also doesn't sound like what Attila speaks in video. You would hear more gluttoral voices in any of these speech if they were Caucasian. I know less about Southern Caucasian dialects but I've heard Lezgian many times and they are also similar to their Northern relatives. And If Chechen is not the language then so is Ingush.

Other possible languages:

Turkic: Altay, Bashkir, Nogai, Karachay-Balkar, Khakas, Sakha/Yakut, Tuvan

Uralic: Mari, Udmurt, Erzya, Moksha, Komi, Tundra Nenets, Forest Nenets, Khanty, Mansi

I doubt its Tungusic, Chukotko-Kamchatkan, or other rare Siberian languages

I really hope this isn't a fake language like Klingon. They could have used Hungarian. Maybe it is Ossetian/Ossetic...

Or perhaps having the budget or resources to accomplish a truer language voice-over? Considering I do not listen to game sounds while I playing (I have my own music playing on iPod), I certainly do not want them to spend precious resources to track down and pay for an esoteric academic exercise. Coming up with something reasonable and inexpensively is the best solution given the needs in other areas of the game.

I could have done the Suleiman voicing for free with far more accuracy:lol:, it is really not that hard. I believe other fans could do other leaders for free too.

I could have done the Suleiman voicing for free with far more accuracy:lol:, it is really not that hard. I believe other fans could do other leaders for free too.

I'm still terrified when it comes to Gustavus Adolphus. I have heard "Swedish" in several films that want to try to be authentic (the opening scene of Titanic springs to mind), and it's just laughable when you hear it as a native speaker. I remember watching The Baader Meinhof Complex at a Swedish cinema, and during a really intense action scene a guy yells something in extremely broken Swedish, and the whole audience start laughing like crazy. :lol:

I would gladly do the voice acting for Gustavus for free if they can't get a hold of someone who can do the job well. Considering Harald was handled well though, I'm expecting them to do well on Gustavus' voice too.

Sorry for going off-topic, as for Attila's voice, I'm starting to lean more and more towards it actually being a made-up language meant to sound like a Central-Asian language or such. I mean, we've been speculating for ages and gone through more languages than I even knew existed in the region, and it seems none of them are even close to what he's speaking.

Top Bottom