Maya

Louis: Well, you may have done the math. I started a Settler game on Standard speed and fast-forwarded the first 234 turns. ;0

Just feels like duplicated effort, is all... ><

While I agree, I didn't see your post so I can't help that. What's done is done. No point wasting the effort discussing how I wasted my effort.

Hey, as you say, confirmation is useful, especially using different methods. :)

So... it looks like either there is not a strict correspondence (which would be a huge issue, flavorfully speaking), or the bonus cannot be a GP every 10 turns in the early game.

Edit: Thanks, arioch! That would seem to indicate that the calculations are... well, correct, and that there _is_ a strict correspondence.

Actually, going by Arioch's post, there does seem to be a correspondence. The 11th Baktun is 183, just as we predicted. Given that it is the 11th and not an earlier one, they still need to fit in 10 before 180. I think that strongly suggests the bonus is not always the same.

Either way, I'm really excited about the bonus. It looks so fun with the different calendar and the calendar-based bonus.

hehe, maybe mayan UA doesn't need to be relationated with calendars:D, maybe their UA give them science bonus, so, they would be ideal for scientific victory

Yes, we agree. By strict correspondence, I refer to the time correspondence. ;)

Perhaps it's a random civilian unit available to the civ? They already have the code for random GP from Patronage....

I was thinking about the possibility of a different bonus per Baktun, either alternating, random, or 13 different things. This would mean free great persons could be combined with free techs, free social policies, free units, gold boosts, food boosts (or population boosts), production boosts, faith boosts, etc.

Louis: So something like my earlier suggestion of a different bonus per Age, but it lasts for a baktun rather than an Age? If you get to choose (as in Religion), that would lead to a very customized play style.

I don't think you'd get to choose, or else I'd choose great people. My thought is its different each time. But yes, otherwise, it'll be Baktun, not age.

Well, for me, why not choose?

Now, I don't think that one of the options is 'choose a GP'. It might be +25% GP production. In that case, choosing that early might get you a GP earlier, but if you choose it later, it lasts for longer.

That sort of trade-off would make them incredibly interesting.

My guess is that they get to pick a UA from another civ in the same game.

Well, it would be awkward UI-wise to choose. It would also create so many different playstyles just for one civ and would require different AI strategies for each one. In addition, if you're not getting a full Great Person there's no reason to imagine other theoretical possibilities. It could just be great persons.

Civcube, whose UA lets you choose great persons?

Louis: While I don't disagree with you necessarily, I think that the designers did a very top-down design with the Mayans. They knew they wanted to base the UA on the unique calendar they had, and it's hard not to notice the 13 different baktuns. That would lead to differing bonuses, perhaps.

And, well, I haven't really noticed much in the way of effective AI for most of the other Civs. Why worry about the Mayans? ;)

Well, it would be awkward UI-wise to choose. It would also create so many different playstyles just for one civ and would require different AI strategies for each one. In addition, if you're not getting a full Great Person there's no reason to imagine other theoretical possibilities. It could just be great persons.

Civcube, whose UA lets you choose great persons?

Is there a screenshot showing the Mayan choosing a GP? Otherwise it looks like the IGN video is rather vague. The icon could represent something other than a GP.

CivCube: Well, you are correct that it could represent something else, but considering the number of new icons that have been seen in the screenshots, it would seem a curious omission.

While it may not be 'free GP', surely it has something to do with GP?

If the reward is a random cycling of free tech, GP's, policies and whatever then when you get GP's you will probably always pick scientists and then you get free techs and free scientists that can yield more free techs. Thus techs comes up twice as often. I don't think it's a random free thing. I think it's free Great Persons periodically and maybe some other unrelated bonus.

Eagle: Well, if by 'periodically' you mean 'once a baktun', you're talking about 12 Free GP per game, frontloaded. Is that exactly balanced?

Yeah, one every ten turns for 4 turns and once every 15 turns for 4 turns. Plus another 4 thrown in.

Eagle: Well, if by 'periodically' you mean 'once a baktun', you're talking about 12 Free GP per game, frontloaded. Is that exactly balanced?

This could become even more OP than Babylon's UA,which IMO,was the second worst UA ever created(it's only behind the India's UA),precisely because it was too powerful . For that reason,I suppose the bonus might not be directly related to the baktun,but instead,by something else .

Top Bottom