Where is best to defend from?

anthonydesu

Chieftain
Howdy all,

I am trying to figure out this game. I have had it over a week and I am still not able to win yet. I have read a lot of posts and I have a lot of ideas, however, I still need to figure out how to win.

I noticed that when I would take a stand from the enemy after declaring independence, I would usually do it at a coastal city, but that is kinda nuts now that I think about it because it will lose all of it's defense bonuses. But if I have a city that has a fort and the guy that gives an extra 25% defense, to bring it to 175%, is it still good? I don't have my city near the water, so I dont think it can be bombarded, but is it better to use that percentage or is it better to find a natural location, like a hill with a forest on top that gives 75% bonus?

Thanks for taking a read!

The short answer is don't defend - attack. I use Dragoons and fight each landing immediately. If you wipe them all out each time they cannot attack your colonies. Dragoons are best because they can withdraw after winning so they are not exposed to the next landing.

The short answer is don't defend - attack. I use Dragoons and fight each landing immediately. If you wipe them all out each time they cannot attack your colonies. Dragoons are best because they can withdraw after winning so they are not exposed to the next landing.

Amen!!! Don't even bother building any defenses unless you have nasty neighbors....e.g. Montezuma(hate that guy...)

So... I guess I am confused and all the different strategies are mixing in my head. So you want to go after them right as they land? But what is the point of building all the cannons as others do? Are they effective against soldiers? I know they don't do well against the dragoons. So making dragoons is a good thing, but don't make them until you declare independence? Stockpile horses and guns in wagons or galleons?:crazyeye:

So... I guess I am confused and all the different strategies are mixing in my head. So you want to go after them right as they land? But what is the point of building all the cannons as others do? Are they effective against soldiers? I know they don't do well against the dragoons. So making dragoons is a good thing, but don't make them until you declare independence? Stockpile horses and guns in wagons or galleons?:crazyeye:

Yep, attack attack attack, hit them as soon as they land!

I have yet to try a game using the "cannon spam" strategy....I just don't see the point since cannons are pretty darn weak...I'll stick with my dragoons.

Just stockpile in wagons, no sense getting galleons for storing weapons. I park these wagons at a central colony or two.

You'll have at least one turn after declaring indepence(depending on the time scale you set your game up with) to form up your army. Having mainly dragoons lets you move them around easily if you have plenty of roads built.

Amen!!! Don't even bother building any defenses unless you have nasty neighbors....e.g. Montezuma(hate that guy...)

Monty is one of the least aggressive leaders in Colonization, contrary to what Civilization would have you believe. As for defending - as others said, don't do it. I prefer to get the FF that gives free Mountineer and Ranger promotions, then spam regular soldiers.

The best defensive point is from a hill covered with light forest. Gives you 75% defense bonus; just mouse over the tile and read the defensive percentages. Couple this in with a unit, soldier, that has specific promotions such as hill defense (mountaineer 1 & 2 and a unit with a general attached may get promoted to mountaineer 3) and you are rendered almost unstoppable.

If you found a city right next to a hill tile with a forest it can be an extremely good defensive position in the upcoming WoI. The REF will try to lauch amphibious attacks against it -and fail- winning you promotions to boot.

The best defensive point is from a hill covered with light forest. Gives you 75% defense bonus; just mouse over the tile and read the defensive percentages. Couple this in with a unit, soldier, that has specific promotions such as hill defense (mountaineer 1 & 2 and a unit with a general attached may get promoted to mountaineer 3) and you are rendered almost unstoppable.

If you found a city right next to a hill tile with a forest it can be an extremely good defensive position in the upcoming WoI. The REF will try to lauch amphibious attacks against it -and fail- winning you promotions to boot.

Plus the cannons you have will get big bonus against any troops that happen to occupy the coastal city. I usually put up a token defense to draw in the troops and BOOM!!

I've noticed foot soldiers attacking and defending in rough terrain gives me the best chances of success, especially with FF like Ethan Allan. Plus, they are cheaper to equip (don't require horses). They even beat dragoons in terms of initial success chance (with rough terrain).

I've noticed foot soldiers attacking and defending in rough terrain gives me the best chances of success, especially with FF like Ethan Allan. Plus, they are cheaper to equip (don't require horses). They even beat dragoons in terms of initial success chance (with rough terrain).

All you say about foot soldiers is true but there is one essential advantage that dragoons have over soldiers - mobility. With the help of Coronado they can move 3 (6 on roads) so you can defend several colonies with one stack, ready to attack the landing force wherever it appears.

for dragoons the best place would be to defend on the coast, if it works in any way like Civ4

Top Bottom