CivRev, One More Round, and the Hardcore Civver

AbbieRevo

Non-Voting Delegate
So, it seems that many of the so-called "hardcore" civ players here feel like this game is a sell-out of the franchise. Many seem to think that the stripping down of the game to its essentials, and the effort shorten game times to 3-4 hours will result in a net loss of fun.

Obviously, these folks have neglected to appreciate the most important implications of this new entry in the Civ franchise: mobility.

While some of you may haul your laptop everywhere, or have some ungodly powerful pocket pc that runs civ4 (i'm pretty sure this doesn't exist i'm just covering all my bases) most of you can only enjoy civilization at home. As of June 5 this will no longer be the case. Anyone who owns a Nintendo DS will be able to play Civ anywhere .

I believe that this, in addition to the much shorter game times will cause the well known "One-More-Turn" Syndrome to develop into the much more deadly "One-More-Round" Syndrome, in which the addicted gamer will feel compelled to play game after game of civ with no end in sight.

I'm looking forward to it.

Any thoughts?

I don't have a DS myself but obviously its a great fact that you can play civ on it. Just want to add that I think that taking Civ down to the essentials will increase the net fun for more people than it will decrease the net fun for.

personally i wouldn't play civ rev on the DS, graphics are far too shoddy :D, but im gonna get it for the ps3 and try out the new civ game, first got to get a HD tv and a ps3, expensive.

I'll be going the DS route mainly so as to not conflict with my son's gaming interest. He has an XBox360, which I'd love to get CivRev for, but I think from a practical standpoint it'll be better for me to get the DS version. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be going the DS route mainly so as to not conflict with my son's gaming interest. He has an XBox360, which I'd love to get CivRev for, but I think from a practical standpoint it'll be better for me to get the DS version. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm actually gonna Gamefly both, the DS version for myself and the Xbox version so I can play it at my friends' houses

and I'll be getting it for the 360...hopefully it will convince the heathens that I work with that Civ is a worthwhile game to play, instead of never playing anything but Halo and CoD.

So, it seems that many of the so-called "hardcore" civ players here feel like this game is a sell-out of the franchise. Many seem to think that the stripping down of the game to its essentials, and the effort shorten game times to 3-4 hours will result in a net loss of fun.

Personally, I can't imagine there being much 'fun' in treating each and every turn as an exercise in number-crunching logistics! Which is pretty much what Civ becomes at hardcore level.

But hey, whatever rocks your boat, baby! ;)

As I've said before, CivRev on the DS = Civ anywhere! :D

That's what i'm talking about! Don't have to lug a laptop around.

I am very happy this is coming out and i've been playing since the OG Civ 1 came out. I'll be buy CIVREV for the 360 and DS.

Personnally I'm very worried about this DS version, a 1 hour lunch break just isn't going to be long enough :D

As I said in one of the other threads DS + CIV + COFFEE + FRIENDS = GREAT Lunch hour

How about DS + Beer + CivRev? hm?

I see what you mean by the mobility thing, but from my experience, I can't play a game unless I know I've got nothing else to do for a few hours and get a good round in. Also I only play marathon because I find on the faster speeds its only a few turns before I get a better unit, which annoys me. Guess thats why I'm not really looking forward to this CIV edition.

What I really like about Civ is the replaying history aspect, and any depth taken away from Civ will damage that aspect of the game. However that doesn't mean I condemn CivRev, and I'm not "harcore" ( I play on Noble, I'm not a mathematician) either. I also think console/handheld gaming doesn't really lend itself to strategy gaming.

I'm still very disappointed that it's not on the Wii, a console that would have been PERFECT for it considering the controller (the wii remote control). I don't have a PS3 or a XBOX 360 and I'm not that rich. We got a Wii for christmas and I was still hoping to play a good looking CivRev on it eventually. Apparently not. We also have a DS, but the DS version doesn't appeal much to me. I don't usually play games when I'm not home, so I don't use the DS much myself. I don't mind shoddy graphics too much, I started playing games in the 80s so I have seen worse, but on the screen the size of a DS's screen, I'm not sure...

Also, I can't bring myself to pay 30-40-50$ for an arse-ugly version of a game that exists in a much better looking version elsewhere. That is, the fact that the XBOX360 and PS3 versions exist already discourage me right now to shell out money to buy the DS version. I'm like that, I want everything (a pretty XBOX PS3 (OR WII!) version) or nothing at all, in this case it'll have to be nothing... Well, we'll see.

I see what you mean by the mobility thing, but from my experience, I can't play a game unless I know I've got nothing else to do for a few hours and get a good round in. Also I only play marathon because I find on the faster speeds its only a few turns before I get a better unit, which annoys me. Guess thats why I'm not really looking forward to this CIV edition.

What I really like about Civ is the replaying history aspect, and any depth taken away from Civ will damage that aspect of the game. However that doesn't mean I condemn CivRev, and I'm not "harcore" ( I play on Noble, I'm not a mathematician) either. I also think console/handheld gaming doesn't really lend itself to strategy gaming.

your gonna want to play as the aztecs then (at least i think it was aztecs) there units get auto promoted for free when you research a new unit, so you don't have to worry7 about it.

your gonna want to play as the aztecs then (at least i think it was aztecs) there units get auto promoted for free when you research a new unit, so you don't have to worry7 about it.

I meant as in getting the techs for promoting from Horse Archer - Knight - Curraissier - Cavalry takes too short below marathon speed. I think its phrased unit upgrades in the game? Aztecs get this free?! Never played as them.

In civ revolution the aztecs or one of the races get all thier units uto promoted for free whenever you research the next unit along horsearcher > Knight > CAvalry.

So the lack of a big waiut till you can get better units won't be a problem as your troops will auto-promote.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get Civ Rev. It's time to update the old PS2 to a modern console system anyway. And my plan with Civ rev is to get my wife hooked on the civ franchise. I've tried a million times to get her to try Civ4 on the PC but to no good. BUT, she does enjoy console games from time to time so I see a chance here to get her hooked, thus hopefully even hooked to Civ4 in the end and thus increasing my opportunities to play the game :D

Top Bottom