Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

And... why is it I can't get anyon to produce cotten, even when it's on my map? Is there some level of production I'm missing?

If you have cotton (or a plains tile, IIRC) in your 9 square box, you should be able to get someone to farm cotton... place them on the tile and when asked which to do, select cotton.

Why do I have to move a colonist INTO the colony then OUT of the colony for his profession screen to pop up and me order him to become a soldier, dragoon, etc? Can't that somehow be done while the colinist is "outside" the colony?

It's a shift-click, I think, or something of that order.

2. You need to buy from them also. Raw materials, things you can make more money trading with europe, etc.

So they'll only have money you give them?

What about trading with other European colonies?

Why do I have to move a colonist INTO the colony then OUT of the colony for his profession screen to pop up and me order him to become a soldier, dragoon, etc? Can't that somehow be done while the colinist is "outside" the colony?
Click on them on the main map, CHANGE PROFESSION.

Why can't I hurry production sometimes?

Even though I have an absurd amount of gold and fulfill the resources requirement, I can't hurry some projects once i start their production.

Why is that?

Again, I have more than enough gold and resources (tools, guns, whatever).

Okay, the cotten fields are there. I put someone on them, and it offers me: Farmer and Tobbacco. ? Can only a certain unit harvest cotten? Does there have to be a farm or something?

Attachments

• cantdisband.jpg
    cantdisband.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 8,005
Okay, the cotten fields are there. I put someone on them, and it offers me: Farmer and Tobbacco. ? Can only a certain unit harvest cotten? Does there have to be a farm or something?

Grassland produces food or tobacco, plains produce food or cotton. So either you are confusing the two, or the game is. Could you post a screenshot?

Hummm... I was playing on the America map. Just started playing a random map, and guess what... COTTEN! I know I wasn't confusing the two. Thanks.

1.) Do random forests appear, and do light forests turn into regular forests? Are either of those two situations affected by an improvement being on the tile.

2.)What is typically the best opening to make some money, i have been trying to buy like 4 or 6 colonists from europe while toting back about 20-30 cigs or cloth each of the 2 or 3 trips. I try to sell off to the indians if they aren't too much of a detour, even though they only buy at about ~75% of europe prices i am trying to avoid the tax increase for extra sales.

3.)What is typically the best thing to do with a soldier and hardy pioneer start? I have been settling soldier, and using hardy to get info on 1x tile away tribes. Then either improve if I need food or settle in the capital, and make some cigs/cloth from the indian's purcahsed resources and small 3x/4x of resources that trickles from city square.

4.)man this game need a BUG mod or similar to compile all of the sell pirces, inventroy, demands, training, etc. I hate having to leave indian trade/europe to check inventory in different towns, and i have only tried to manage 3 towns let alone my share of a standard map.

5.)how hard would it be to change the, "you have ships waiting in europe" messages to when i click end turn, instead of after they wasted movement. Not always remebering to click send to NW icon sucks!!

I don't have the game yet, so these are real newbie questions. I know it's a stand-alone, but does it add anything to Civ4 at all? For example, new units, new resources, new maps, anything to the main game? Or would you have to add them in manually, like a mod? Also, is the game editor the same as the WBS editor in Civ 4 -- basically for placing units, cities, changing terrain, etc., with the "hard" stuff still requiring manual changes to xml/python files? Can you open a Colonization saved game file in Civ 4, and if so what happens?

Basically I'm wondering to what extent, if any, the two games can interact.

I don't have the game yet, so these are real newbie questions. I know it's a stand-alone, but does it add anything to Civ4 at all? For example, new units, new resources, new maps, anything to the main game? Or would you have to add them in manually, like a mod? Also, is the game editor the same as the WBS editor in Civ 4 -- basically for placing units, cities, changing terrain, etc., with the "hard" stuff still requiring manual changes to xml/python files? Can you open a Colonization saved game file in Civ 4, and if so what happens?

Basically I'm wondering to what extent, if any, the two games can interact.

No, it doesn't add new content to Civ4/BTS. Yes, it still has the WorldBuilder and relies on XML/Python for the rest of game info. No, you can't open a Colonization save file, since it is a different file type (.ColonizationSave) than Civ4/Warlords/BTS (you can't open a BTS save in Warlords, for example, either).

Essentially, these games do not interact with one another except on an engine level. Modding is still done in the same way, the interface is similar, etc., but the gameplay is where the differences are.

No, it doesn't add new content to Civ4/BTS. Yes, it still has the WorldBuilder and relies on XML/Python for the rest of game info. No, you can't open a Colonization save file, since it is a different file type (.ColonizationSave) than Civ4/Warlords/BTS (you can't open a BTS save in Warlords, for example, either).

Essentially, these games do not interact with one another except on an engine level. Modding is still done in the same way, the interface is similar, etc., but the gameplay is where the differences are.

Thanks for the quick reply! :goodjob: One other follow-up question: are the games compatible enough that you can, for example, easily add buildings (or that gorgeous water terrain) from Colonization to BTS, through the regular modding process?

What's the point of a one-tile island peak (full of ores) in this game? The more frustrating when surrounded by all kinds of sea-food resources which can't be used because it's impossible to built a settlement there. One of many incomprehensible frustrations in this new game, which should be so promising.

Opus95

How do you stockpile guns effectively? The max you can hold in any city is 300, and that's with the max warehouse upgrade.

Why can't I hurry production sometimes?

Even though I have an absurd amount of gold and fulfill the resources requirement, I can't hurry some projects once i start their production.

Why is that?

Again, I have more than enough gold and resources (tools, guns, whatever).

There's a dollar sign icon next to the production queue - if it's not greyed out, you can rush production. You'll need cash, lumber and tools to pull it off. Just did it a few times, made me happy to have that in there.

Top Bottom