"Give me ten turns"

What happens if you ask an AI to go to war, they ask for ten turns, but you DOW early? Do they join you, or are you on your own?

Is it me or sometimes AI breaks the promise to join in 10 turns? They ask for time and after that their diplomacy screen never shows again. "What, did you ask me to join you? Ehm......I don't remember that, are you sure you asked me?"

The AI can say this to you? I know you can say it to them, but I didn’t know the opposite was possible. Maybe because I don’t bother trying to get other civs to join me in a war anymore, since in all the times I’ve tried they’ve never agreed.

I hear people often talk about getting other civs to declare war on each other but it has never worked for me. Do you do it from the Trade screen where you put different items on the table, or do you do it from the Discuss screen where you say, “Shall we declare war against . . . “? Is it only achievable on higher difficulties (I’ve only recently made the leap from King to Emperor)?

Sometimes they will ask for 10 turns, but it's very rare. I don't think they ever agree to help, unless they were planning on attacking anyway. Usually, I just pay them to attack if I really need their help.

Do it from the trade screen. Even if the AI is not under truce with the civ in question, the AI may still refuse to go to war, no matter how much you offer -- for example if the AI has good relations (especially a DOF) and/or profitable trade routes with the target, is already at war with someone else, and/or has an inferior military.

What I hate is when an AI asks you for help, and you say "Give me ten turns." Ten turns later, you tell them you are ready, and they act like you are crazy and a warmonger.

Do it from the trade screen. Even if the AI is not under truce with the civ in question, the AI may still refuse to go to war, no matter how much you offer -- for example if the AI has good relations (especially a DOF) and/or profitable trade routes with the target, is already at war with someone else, and/or has an inferior military.

This makes it sound like there are a lot of possibilities for the AI to say no, and that it would require just the right situation or them to actually say yes.

Another problem of mine is that I don't know the going rate for bribing the AI to declare war. I could sit there all day offering 1 gold, 2 gold, 3 gold, etc. or offer them 10,000 gold when 1000 would be enough.

This makes it sound like there are a lot of possibilities for the AI to say no, and that it would require just the right situation or them to actually say yes.

Another problem of mine is that I don't know the going rate for bribing the AI to declare war. I could sit there all day offering 1 gold, 2 gold, 3 gold, etc. or offer them 10,000 gold when 1000 would be enough.

Usually you can ask them to make an offer of what they want for it.

Many times I've managed to bribe civilizations to go to war for as little as a single luxury resource. Sometimes I even trade more resources than I can afford to have to get them to go to war with my enemies, wait till their armies leave their home unguarded, then declare war on them and take my resources back.

1. If you go to war with another AI, they generally will not consider you warmonger, unless you have a history of doing so outside the agreement.

2. Different leaders ask for different things. If it is advantageous to them, and they are strong, it won't take much. If it is not in their plans, it takes a bigger carrot.

In a game still going on as Portugal, I asked Austria (Who I have very good relations with) if they want to go to war with Egypt, my neighbour. She agreed in 10 turns, but I had to declare early to stop Egyptian prophets from converting my cities from the true faith. Low and behold, on the tenth turn of the agreement, Austria did declare war, so I guess this shows that they still do even if you declare before the assigned turn.

Top Bottom