Difference between Fortify & Alert??

IslandBlue

Chieftain
Can someone who knows explain what the difference is between the two--'fortify' and 'alert?' I pretty much just use 'alert' but I think I'm screwing myself by not using 'fortify.' Am I? What would be the main uses of each? Thank you.

"The "alert" order is similar to "fortify," except that the unit will "wake up" when it sees a nearby enemy unit. The wakened unit retains the fortification bonus as long as it doesn't move or attack (so if you order it to go into alert mode again or to pass its turn it keeps the bonus)."

According to the Civilopedia.

"The "alert" order is similar to "fortify," except that the unit will "wake up" when it sees a nearby enemy unit. The wakened unit retains the fortification bonus as long as it doesn't move or attack (so if you order it to go into alert mode again or to pass its turn it keeps the bonus)."

According to the Civilopedia.

So basically if I choose 'fortify' then I won't be alerted or notified of an enemy unit that's nearby? Less disturbing but also less informative. Besides that they do the same thing and offer the same protective bonus? Thanks

According to this thread, the defensive bonus will be 40% when fortified for a second turn, but when Alert this bonus will remain at 20%. The Civilopedia doesn't mention this exception, and also lists values of 25% and 50%

I'm getting confused too now :aargh:

Interesting. I'll have to remember that.

Fortify gives your unit that extra defense percentage increase. When attacked, your unit becomes stronger while defending with fortify.

If I had a dollar for everytime I fortified a unit in order to get the extra defense and then forgot about the unit and eventually getting it killed in the process....well I would easily have 25 bucks.

I'm thinking this thread really needs a "Vanilla" tag added to it; I spent 5 minutes last night trying to find Fortify button on my current game (with BNW) before remembering that "Fortify" was removed in G&K.

It's not removed. It is in the additional buttons menu (where you can choose to delete a unit, or set it to autoexplore).

You may be thinking of the garrison button. That was eliminated in G&K.

It's not removed. It is in the additional buttons menu (where you can choose to delete a unit, or set it to autoexplore).

You may be thinking of the garrison button. That was eliminated in G&K.

I did go to several units last night on the advanced option and all I saw was the option to delete and the option to autoexplore. I didn't see a third option for any of them.

Edit: It seems that the "Fort" advanced option disappears entirely whenever the unit is already on "Alert"

Some units get the "sleep" option rather than the "fortify" option, because they get no fortification bonus. Naval units and civilians come to mind immediately, not sure about cavalry.

Top Bottom