TnL get your facts straight (chart included)

Has anyone tried running the game on a Radeon 7500 (so with T&L) that is lacking in the ram departement, i.e. that only has 32MB?

Forget it, man. My Inspiron 5100 has a Radeon Mobility 7500 32Mb, also, and it's a NO GO! 32MB just isn't enough. :sad: Tried all the tips and tricks, but it's no use, it's just a matter of not having the right equipment. I'm slowly beginning to accept the fact that I won't be able to play this game until I buy a better computer since my laptop won't allow an upgrade. :mad:

As I said in other thread, Civ IV uses about 128MB of video RAM, even on almost empty map. AGP Aperture allows system RAM to be used as video RAM; but it has to be transferred and plus is slowed. So yes, 64MB is minimum and 128MB is recommended.

snoopy369 said:
Hi :)

I took some of the info from the page linked in this thread, and some info from a page on Mobile chipsets, and made a table...

It's over at Apolyton, though, my normal home. :) Feel free to use it though, we don't mind visitors. :)
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141405

The page for mobile chipsets:
http://rojakpot.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=98&pgno=0

It has separate pages for ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc.

these is extreamly usefull for many people but not me :( it doesnt mention the intel 945 chipset, does this suport the software emulation as the other 9 somthing series do?

The Intel 945 chipset works fine.

At least it does on my Intel D945GTP

I can say, Snoopy369, That the Radeon 345M IGP (which is essentially the 340)

DOES have Hardware T&L

BenLF said:
The Intel 945 chipset works fine.

At least it does on my Intel D945GTP

Thanks hopfully it will work for me too then, my play.com order is now proccsesing as well so it's all looking up for me.:) ;)

Not sure if this is on topic or not, but I've heard some people talking about adjusting the Pixel Shader slider down to 1.4 or 1.1 (is this the same as TnL?) Is this a setting in the game or something specific to each graphics card and where would I find this setting?

All -

You should note in the original post that the relatively new GeForce 6100 integrated graphics chipsets are based on the GeForce 6-series, and should (in theory) have a fully functional Pixel Shader 3.0 included. Pixel Shader incorporates T&L capability, so anyone with the new 6100 motherboards should be able to play this with their integrated chipset, no sweat. Most boards ship with 128MB on-board VRAM, and can be set to share extra system RAM; you won't be breaking any benchmark records on Doom3, but you'll probably be able to handle CivIV.

I'm holding off buying the game until the first set of patches are out, but I've got a 6100 coming in today that should be assembled, tested, and burned-in by the time I get CivIV. I'll report back when I know for sure.

VirtualCLD said:
Not sure if this is on topic or not, but I've heard some people talking about adjusting the Pixel Shader slider down to 1.4 or 1.1 (is this the same as TnL?) Is this a setting in the game or something specific to each graphics card and where would I find this setting?

If you had taken look on original topic, you would see difference between TnL and pixel shader, and what card supports what version of pixel shader.

Generally, nvidia GeForce FX series support pixel shader 2.0 but they take insane performance hit when it is enabled. That is why (for example it is done automatically in Half-Life2) running in hardware directx 8 mode, with 1.x shaders gives much better performance.

My Radeon 8500 has very low performance and many system crashes.

Other stats 1.8 p4
512 ram

any suggestions?

omega drivers nearly destroyed my computer, so a no go there.

I know that there is a TnL emulator program that's called 3D Analyzer. It's german and I think it basically makes the system think that your card supports TnL and lets the cpu take care of the 3D instead of the TnL. Could someone give this a try, I'm unable to at the moment but I'd really like to know if it works or not.

Just to confirm some intel chips work fine, mine for example, no problems at all, slightly slow and jumpy after awhile but no black terrain ect, i have an intel 945 intergrated graphics

yes, it appears the intel 9xxx series works...but no other intel chips appear to work.

grumbler said:
Has anyone tried running the game on a Radeon 7500 (so with T&L) that is lacking in the ram departement, i.e. that only has 32MB?

Even if it displays properly, it will probably be unplayably slow. My Sapphire Radeon 9600 starts to choke badly in the mid/late game when there are a lot of improvements on the map and the early game just barely tips 30fps.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with an Intel 8xx chipset. Looks like I'm screwed for now :cry:

One question:
If I go get a video card, will this do me any good because of the integrated video chip? :confused:

Flyguy_1 said:
yes, it appears the intel 9xxx series works...but no other intel chips appear to work.

yes i had heard this but on all the lists going around the was no mention of this particular chip set

Comraddict said:
However, hardware TnL support is minimum requirement for CIV IV as you know. Hardware TnL means that graphic card can perform "Transform and Lighning" complex calculations that result in some nice effects; without use of the CPU.

Does anyone know which effects do not work as a result of not having TnL support. It is obviously not the rendering of terrain as my Video card (Intel 82865G) does not support T/L but terrain is rendered fine in world builder and indeed in Game Play eventually.
Terrain just does not appear when it should do (e.g. scouts lifting FOW). However if you play for a while terrain starts to appear even without T/L. The opening movie also plays fine on my puter. Perhaps it is just the leaders screens that need T/L. I have not played very far into the game however so perhaps there are other limitations.
It seems to me that there is a bug with lifting FOW that is not T/L related.

Top Bottom