Connecting two cities that are separated by a City-State

Gary King

Prince
How do I connect two cities that are not coastal cities and are separated by a City-State? The City-State is surrounded by two other Civs on two sides, and I have two cities on the remaining two sides of the City-State.

I'd like to connect my cities together but I can't seem to do so. I already have a road running from my city to the City-State and then to my other city, but it doesn't appear that this makes a connection.

Would I have to make a coastal city on each side just to connect the cities together? Is it even worth connecting the city if it is this much of a hassle? Or would making the City-State my Ally do the trick?

How do I connect two cities that are not coastal cities and are separated by a City-State? The City-State is surrounded by two other Civs on two sides, and I have two cities on the remaining two sides of the City-State.

I'd like to connect my cities together but I can't seem to do so. I already have a road running from my city to the City-State and then to my other city, but it doesn't appear that this makes a connection.

Would I have to make a coastal city on each side just to connect the cities together? Is it even worth connecting the city if it is this much of a hassle? Or would making the City-State my Ally do the trick?

If you are allied with them then the connection should work I think...

A screenshot would help alot but I can make guesses.

Harbor will definitely get your city connected up if you have the map explored for it.

Road might count as connected in allied status I've never tried this so I don't know for sure.

There's an plan B, conquer one of those opposing civ's city next to the city state so you can build a road through it and to your isolated city.

Related aside:

When there is a CS between to of my cities, I always place as many roads as I can within their borders, even if I already have a city connection. I do it because the CS, not I, pays for those roads and because my units cannot ever travel through a CS city tile. This means that if I need to rush a unit to the front and it goes through this CS's territory, if I don't have roads that bypass the city, then my unit will waste a turn (or 2 or 3 depending on terrain) getting off the road when it gets to the city tile, walking around the city, then getting back on the road.

Spamming roads everywhere avoids this as the unit can bypass the city without ever getting off the road. And having lots of road improvements all over CS territory also helps because CS's will inevitably build up lots of units that will be blocking some of the road tiles.

Okay, so I later learned that as long as the City-State is an Ally or Friend, then the city connection will activate. Once I lost the Friend status on the City-State, then the city connection was lost. So that's fine with me, since I'll just keep this City-State as an Ally. I would have done so even without the city connection, since it's so close and I don't want a nearby AI warmonger to be allies with it!

Okay, so I later learned that as long as the City-State is an Ally or Friend, then the city connection will activate. Once I lost the Friend status on the City-State, then the city connection was lost. So that's fine with me, since I'll just keep this City-State as an Ally. I would have done so even without the city connection, since it's so close and I don't want a nearby AI warmonger to be allies with it!

Oh that's awesome :O At least now I know that for sure XD

Top Bottom