Gotm23 Sg

Originally posted by AlanH

Please to see we are providing some entertainment for the lurkers ;)

[/lurking off]
As indeed you are. ;)
[/lurking on]

Originally posted by TedJackson
Players should refrain from following the progress on the other thread or they are going to be spoiled.

Well, I looked to get a slightly wider view of how people conduct a SG, since this is my first one... :rolleyes: And through a little curiosity about how quickly it was going over on [civ3]... ;)

The curse of having a near-photographic memory is in having to actively forget what went on in GOTM23, or at least try not to actively use it... ;)

Now that we have the full map, can we look at the other thread? I feel like a kid in candy store who has been told that he can't take anything from the jars :cry:

Up to CF,

although it does depend on how competitive the teams want to be :)

Ted

Spoilers can not be avoided because this game has already been played. I am planning on comparing the two games with each other and with the individual games of the GOTM23 competition. The more you look, the less your bragging rights will be, should you beat the other team or individual players.

The problem is that anything you see WILL affect your own play regardless of your knowledge of the map. The differences may be subtle but still present; how the AI's developed, who got which wonder, where the key battles for resources are. If you really want to see where you and your team's play is compared to others, don't read the other thread.

If your interest is purely in the progress of the other team, I can post quick updates to the other thread from time to time. Or you can ask me specific questions and I'll try to answer them with as little spoiler information as possible.

Actually, my official policy will mimic the spoilers threads. When both teams get to the initial spoiler conditions (all AA required techs and full map/all known civs) I will post what page in the other thread you can read up to without being "spoiled". This will be good practice for those of you new to GOTM. Get used to the concept of having to reach a certain point before indulging your curiosity. It's hard being in the candy store but if you're good little boys and girls, daddy will let you have a treat.;)

On another note, this is a good time to post that I am only online during business hours (M-F 7:00-15:30). Please try to keep the roster going over the weekend without me. I will update on Monday. To that end, I'm going to stop updating the roster list on the first page. If you can, post who's up next at the end of your turn log. I will still post rosters when I can.

Originally posted by ControlFreak
The more you look, the less your bragging rights will be, should you beat the other team or individual players.
That's what I meant by competitive :)

Ted

I'm interested in how they are doing as compared to our team. There should be some differences because of different team members, and there should also be differences because of ptw/civ3. Any updates you post for both teams would be appreciated.

Careful with posting page numbers to read up to. I have my preferences set to display the maximum 40 posts per page, so the ptw thread just hit page 3, while the civ3 thread is still on page2.

Yep, I'm on 40 posts per page too.

Ted

OK guys,

with CF standing down it's going to be a bit more difficult to co-ordinate stuff.

AlanH & I will sort out the QSC scoring when both teams have reached the cutoff point. The cross-thread reading limit will probably be set by me with AlanH checking the limit before I post the the details in this thread.

Ted

CF will be missed, but he has made a good decision, as ever.

We are now one turn from the QSC, with Karasu playing today, I hope. So we are about to reach the first point where we can share our blood, sweat and tears with you guys, who have been remarkably restrained in your bun-throwing and general ribaldry. Surely we can't be doing as well or better than you?

I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying this second romp through Cracker's magic wonderland. It's a different experience again when (a) you have to sit back and consider the situation before launching into the next turns and (b) you are sharing the game with a keen team of people.

See you here soon.

AlanH,

I'll be curious to see whether your team decided to build the Cure for Cancer first (like we did) or Longevity. :D

Just kidding, actually I'm more interested in when/where/why for city placement, your science decisions and who/how you selected your first military target.

I've learned quite a bit reviewing my team members moves and adding what your team did and why, will help to improve my game I'm sure.

Looking forward to reading and comparing notes with your team.

DenyD

PS: Too bad about CF, but he made the right choice. Here's hoping he can find a balance in his life that still has a small place for Civ.

:beer:

Originally posted by denyd
AlanH,

I'll be curious to see whether your team decided to build the Cure for Cancer first (like we did) or Longevity. :D
Nah! We bee-lined ToE and the Internet. Saves all that hassle with trading for techs ;)

Just kidding,
Really? I wasn't :p

actually I'm more interested in when/where/why for city placement, your science decisions and who/how you selected your first military target.
Yeah! I'm looking forward to reading about that as well ... for our game, I mean ...

I've learned quite a bit reviewing my team members moves and adding what your team did and why, will help to improve my game I'm sure.
Looking forward to reading and comparing notes with your team.

DenyD

PS: Too bad about CF, but he made the right choice. Here's hoping he can find a balance in his life that still has a small place for Civ.

:beer:
But seriously, yes. Agreed, on all points. Specially the beer.

For information to the PTW team, the 1.29 team has now reached 1000 BC. Here's the link to the last post (and last page at 20 per page) before 1000 BC if you want to avoid seeing subsequent progress until we get to Spoiler 1. We are three techs away from that point, so we shall be able to share Ancient Era experiences to that point real soon now.

The [civ3] team has reached the 1st spoiler point, as of this post. As such, both teams now have access to 1st spoiler info from the other team.

For reference, the [ptw] team got to spoiler on at this post.

Looking forward to some comparisons now that we have a common point of reference... :D

Thanks for picking that milestone up DaveShack. I've had my eye off the ball for the last 36 hours. It'll be interesting to compare notes at this stage. First impressions are that we reached the MA at very similiar dates, and we are both in active wars with two civs, one of which is Rome. You took on Persia, we went for Ottomans. We also have a phoney war going with the Zulus.

I'll look at development and such tomorrow, after I've done my next ten turns

Here's a CivReplay file of the two games up to 1000BC.

Get the viewer > here <.

Obviously the two teams are quite well matched up to this point :)

Ted

For those who don't have (or can't run) CivReplayViewer here's a quick summary of the timeline. The Civ 1.29 team is at the top of the pictures (for the lurkers).

4000BC: both teams elect to move 1 SE from start
3950BC: both teams found Makkah

2510BC: PTW team found Madinah on the lake (SW, 2S of Makkah)
2310BC: Civ team found Madinah 1N of PTW team's site
2150BC: PTW team found Diriyah (2N, 1NW of Makkah)
2030BC: Civ team found Diriyah (SSE from Makkah)
1910BC: PTW team found Damascus (4NW, 1W of Makkah)
1790BC: Civ team found Damascus (3N from Makkah)
1625BC: PTW team found Baghdad (3E, 1NE from Makkah)
1600BC: Civ team found Baghdad (4NE, 2E from Baghdad)

1450BC: Both teams found Riyadh (PTW 3SW, 2S from Madinah, Civ 3E from Makkah)
1425BC: PTW team found Jeddah on lake (2NE, 1N from Diriyah)
1350BC: Civ team found Jeddah (3NW, 1N from Makkah)
1275BC: PTW team found Dhahran (3E from Madinah)
1200BC: Civ team found Dhahran (3SE, 1E from Diriyah)
1150BC: Civ team found Najran (4NW from Madinah)

Interesting that both teams moved the Settler 1SE. Personally, I would have settled on the start position.

The 1600BC screenshot shows that the Civ team have control of most of the mountain tiles while the PTW team elected to grab those Olives :)

The final QSC position is pretty even. Well played both teams :)

QSC scores coming soon, watch this space...

Ted

Interesting. I note that CivReplay is not showing the wool to the east of Makkah. Is this a bug? :eek: I look forward to the scores. I've already scored our 1000 BC game using a spreadsheet that you found, but I'll wait for you to get comparable figures for both games.

I settled at the start in my original QSC, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. But moving SE gets you in range of the flood plains and a 4 turn settler farm.

The only material difference in the 1600 BC positions is that the Civ3 team had settled the third flood plains city vs. PTW's olives. We settled the olives soon after, and you settled the additional flood plain as well. The later city placement variations reflect the fact that you were targeting the Persians for first conquest while we were targeting the Ottomans.

Interesting. I note that CivReplay is not showing the wool to the east of Makkah. Is this a bug?
Yep, Dianthus is aware of the problem.

BTW a big thanks to Dianthus for his help in getting the CRP and scoring done :goodjob:

I look forward to the scores. I've already scored our 1000 BC game using a spreadsheet that you found, but I'll wait for you to get comparable figures for both games.
Hopefully I should have them done by tomorrow.

I settled at the start in my original QSC, and it seemed like a good idea at the time. But moving SE gets you in range of the flood plains and a 4 turn settler farm.
Re-reading my post I can see that it's easy to infer that my comment is a criticism whereas it was just meant as a comment on what I would have done.

The only material difference in the 1600 BC positions is that the Civ3 team had settled the third flood plains city vs. PTW's olives. We settled the olives soon after, and you settled the additional flood plain as well. The later city placement variations reflect the fact that you were targeting the Persians for first conquest while we were targeting the Ottomans.
Of course. I was stretching for something to say to justify the screenshots :)

Ted

Super job on the comparisons so far. We will diverge quickly soon after this point given different targets of first choice, but it will be interesting to see how the overall results compare after we've both knocked off several competitors.

Top Bottom