Do unique buildings stay unique if they are captured intact?

lockstep

Prince
What happens to unique buildings if they are captured intact? Do they stay unique, or are they downgraded to their non-unique counterpart?

And vice versa: What happens if a non-unique building is captured intact and the conqueror features a unique variant?

Are the rules the same for unique buildings with and without Great Work slots?

Note: The Assyrian Royal Library has a conquest probability of 0%, most other unique buidings one of 66% and the Celtic Ceilidh Hall one of 100%.

Good question. I'm not entirely sure, but my guess is that the conquering Civ gets their variation of the building, whether it's the non-unique one or the unique one, and it doesn't matter what the previous civ's variation of it was.

After some testing, I can answer my own questions for the most part:

If you capture a Ceilidh Hall, it will be downgraded to an Opera House (assuming you're not playing with several Celtic factions ;)).

If you play as the Celts and capture an Opera House, it will be upgraded to a Ceilidh Hall.

Opera Houses/Ceilidh Halls feature a GW slot. I didn't test what happens to non-GW buildings if captured, but assume for now that they are down-/upgraded as well.

Sorry but culture buildings must be destroyed on capture. Hence no Ceilidh Hall, no Wat, no Mud of Pyramid, etc.

Edit: oh, no culture from Opera House at all? Didn't notice that.

Interestingly, this morning I was making the Artists Guild in one of my cities when I was given Besbalik in a peace settlement, and my city prompted me for build orders. I was wondering why when I took a peek at Besbalik and lo-and-behold there was an Artist Guild there.

Sorry but culture buildings must be destroyed on capture. Hence no Ceilidh Hall, no Wat, no Mud of Pyramid, etc.

With the advent of Great Works I am not sure if this is true. I remember in one of my recent games I captured Gandhi's capital and I captured 8 great works from him. Surely quite a few of those were in cultural buildings. And no, they didn't get transferred to another city, I remember still seeing them in his city.

Incorrect. Culture buildings with great work slots are sometimes captured (usually when the slot is filled).

Can you capture buildings if you don't have their corresponding tech yet?

Also what happens with buildings who requires a strategic resource and you lose the resource?

Since you can capture unique tile improvements just fine, I don't see why the same shouldn't apply to buildings. It'd give a new incentive for conquest, and those are sorely lacking in BNW atm. It should be changed imo.

Imo it's very fun to wait 'til the land is ripe if you're next to Dutch, Brazil or especially Inca... Then simply claim whatever queer contraptions those savages built on your natural ancestral lands! ;)

Also incorrect. In BNW, the conquest probability for Ampitheaters, Opera Houses, Museums, and Broadcast Towers is 100%.

That is incorrect as well. Because I have seen culture buildings destroyed when I take a city (I had a spy there before I took it).

In addition, from anecdotal experience, it seems the player has a much higher chance of keeping cultural buildings than the AI's. (I was observing through spies and reloaded a few times with random seed).

That is incorrect as well. Because I have seen culture buildings destroyed when I take a city (I had a spy there before I took it).

In addition, from anecdotal experience, it seems the player has a much higher chance of keeping cultural buildings than the AI's. (I was observing through spies and reloaded a few times with random seed).

I've never seen any destroyed in BNW and the code seems to indicate they won't ever be.

Can you capture buildings if you don't have their corresponding tech yet?

Also what happens with buildings who requires a strategic resource and you lose the resource?

Yes u can.
You will have "-1" coal, for example. Buildings do not have penalty for negative resources like units.

Could it be that this was before Brave New World? Or that a monument was destroyed? Check the latest CIVBuildings.xml and CIVBuildings_Inherited_Expansion2.xml.

No this was definitely BNW.

I have seen Monuments destroyed for sure, and I am quite certain I have seen Amphitheaters or Opera Houses destroyed in normal games.

Another quirk - I am in the middle of playing Scramble for Africa (Boer Deity).

There was one English city I took, where the Monument was destroyed and the Opera House was destroyed, leaving only the Amphitheater and a Museum (which converts into a Staatsmuseum).

However, the converted Staatsmuseum does *not* come with the pre-filled Great Work (Artifact), so I sold it so that I could rebuild it and get the free Artifact. The interesting thing is that I was allowed to instantly start building a new Staatsmuseum even though I didn't have the pre-requisite Opera House.

But in any case, this was a case where the Opera House was destroyed upon taking the city. I know similar stuff has happened in normal games too.

No this was definitely BNW.

I have seen Monuments destroyed for sure, and I am quite certain I have seen Amphitheaters or Opera Houses destroyed in normal games.

Another quirk - I am in the middle of playing Scramble for Africa (Boer Deity).

There was one English city I took, where the Monument was destroyed and the Opera House was destroyed, leaving only the Amphitheater and a Museum (which converts into a Staatsmuseum).

However, the converted Staatsmuseum does *not* come with the pre-filled Great Work (Artifact), so I sold it so that I could rebuild it and get the free Artifact. The interesting thing is that I was allowed to instantly start building a new Staatsmuseum even though I didn't have the pre-requisite Opera House.

But in any case, this was a case where the Opera House was destroyed upon taking the city. I know similar stuff has happened in normal games too.

Scenarios can't be used as examples. In that scenario, capturing a great work gives you points and immediately destroys it.

Also, the xml ( aka the game files) disagrees with you. You are remembering incorrectly.

-<Replace><Type>BUILDING_AMPHITHEATER</Type><BuildingClass>BUILDINGCLASS_AMPHITHEATER</BuildingClass><FreeStartEra>ERA_INDUSTRIAL</FreeStartEra><Cost>100</Cost><GoldMaintenance>1</GoldMaintenance><PrereqTech>TECH_DRAMA</PrereqTech><Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_AMPHITHEATER</Description><Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_BUILDINGS_AMPHITHEATER_TEXT</Civilopedia><Strategy>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_AMPHITHEATER_STRATEGY</Strategy><ArtDefineTag>COLESSEUM</ArtDefineTag><GreatWorkSlotType>GREAT_WORK_SLOT_LITERATURE</GreatWorkSlotType><GreatWorkCount>1</GreatWorkCount><ConquestProb>100</ConquestProb><MinAreaSize>-1</MinAreaSize><HurryCostModifier>25</HurryCostModifier><IconAtlas>EXPANSION_BW_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas><PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex>

In my latest Assyria game, I captured Persepolis, in which Darius had built the Great Library. When I took it over, there was no "free library" like you'd get if you built the GL yourself, and I had to build a Royal Library from scratch.

In my latest Assyria game, I captured Persepolis, in which Darius had built the Great Library. When I took it over, there was no "free library" like you'd get if you built the GL yourself, and I had to build a Royal Library from scratch.

Hi there. That is a separate issue.

The "free" buildings provided by World Wonders are sometimes destroyed upon capture of the city.

Top Bottom