Interesting Screenshots

While this is the third ship these two Fortress Cannons sunk, they can be captured (no defence points) by enemies and they do not even get a promotion!

This may be similar to the Korean Unique Unit, the Hwach’a, which is a cannon with lethal bombardment. It can promote to veteran and elite and it is possible for an elite Hwach’a unit to create a MGL. However the game does not tell you when a Hwach'a is promoted. To tell the difference between regular/veteran/elite units look at the green dot to the upper left of the unit. This corresponds to the top of the hit point column for a combat unit. It will be higher up for a more experienced unit. From your screenshot it appears your Fortress Cannon is probably elite.

Currently I am starting to wonder where my enemies are? I have not meet a single one yet. :confused:

This is a standard size map with 12 players on regent with 80% water. According to the victory screen I have 30% of the settled land and 30% of the world population.

And the Indians snatched the Great Lighthouse away, then I had only two rounds left to completion. :mad:

The bad news for the KI is, that I have so far connected to 10 out of 14 iron sources. :D

how do you happen to know just how many iron sources there are?
t_x

Iron, Salpeter and Horses are allways one for each player and two extra on a random map.

Also I have checked it with Civ3 Multitool. :D

The bad news are, that until I discovered Astronomy (Suicide galleys do no longer work), Mongolia has allready conquered Austria, India, Arabia, Germany and Zululand. :eek:

My poor scouting Galleass (3/2/5) has run into a bunch of Ships of the Line (14/8/8) and Armored Cruisers (10/6/10). :(

I give up! :cry:

map seems interesting , is there any seed number for it ?

Unfortunatly there is no more seed number.

I started a new game after Super-Temujin started four simultan landings (including a fully staffed Cavalry/Keshik-Army, Infantry and Early Tanks!) against my Musketman, Longbowman and Knights. :cry:

They had allready kicked all other Civs are out of the game. The survivors were mostly small one city islands. Carthago was the largest civ with three cities.

I have never seen such a runaway and steamroller KI before! And I am playing only on Regent. :eek:

I am still experimenting with my own mod (and unfortunatly it is still not able to run other than as replacement of the original conquests game - and somewhat unstable :( ).

Inspired by Theov´s idea, I have replaced the start settler by the Tribe (3/3/1, all terrain as road, can not be build).

Can anyone guess what happened here?

Constantinopolis is still first in the byzantine city list and Theodorapolis has been renamed by me. ;)

I am still experimenting with my own mod (and unfortunatly it is still not able to run other than as replacement of the original conquests game - and somewhat unstable :( ).

Inspired by Theov´s idea, I have replaced the start settler by the Tribe (3/3/1, all terrain as road, can not be build).

Can anyone guess what happened here?

Constantinopolis is still first in the byzantine city list and Theodorapolis has been renamed by me. ;)

:confused: they palace-jumped?

Hi Theov,

no, my own start position was to the west of Theodorapolis on the lama. Theodorapolis was the mongol start position.

So I did not settle in my first turn and waited for the mongol tribe to found Karakorum. Then my tribe attacked.

I did not know, that the noraze-patch also prevented autoraze. :eek:

And since Karakorum sounds funny as byzantine capital, I had to rename it. ;)

Until now I disliked those random close for comfort start positions. :D

Hi Theov,

no, my own start position was to the west of Theodorapolis on the lama. Theodorapolis was the mongol start position.

So I did not settle in my first turn and waited for the mongol tribe to found Karakorum. Then my tribe attacked.

I did not know, that the noraze-patch also prevented autoraze. :eek:

And since Karakorum sounds funny as byzantine capital, I had to rename it. ;)

Until now I disliked those random close for comfort start positions. :D
aaaahw, I thought for a moment it was the AI there.

You gave the tribes attack and defense? Alright, I never thought they'd be so close, so I didn't think of any combat stats came into play.

Funny situation though, that's a free early city right there.

Maybe it would be better to not give the tribes attack and defense, or at least, not attack (make them 0/3/1 or something), so that you can't get basically free cities like that?

I disagree.

With the mongolian start at stone throwing range ("nur einen Steinwurf entfernt" sounds cooler ;) ), I would normaly abandoned this game.

I have however reduced the Tribe to 1/1/1 and all terrain as roads, to avoid a Tribe carnage on small or tiny pangea maps. ;)

I disagree.

With the mongolian start at stone throwing range ("nur einen Steinwurf entfernt" sounds cooler ;) ), I would normaly abandoned this game.

I have however reduced the Tribe to 1/1/1 and all terrain as roads, to avoid a Tribe carnage on small or tiny pangea maps. ;)
Yeah that's actually what I did.
0/1/1 All terrain as roads and Radar vision.

I thought one step was too little, 2 steps and then you can found the city on the third step.
So basically, you can walk 2 steps no matter what and found the first city on the first turn.

You shouldn't walk much further anyway, if at all.

An older game (Regent):

Ehm... Temujin, did you confuse something?

And yes, I was boldly attacked by the only pre-industrial civilisation in game only a couple of rounds ago... Or to take Terry Pratchetts words: "He leaded his army into a glorious defeat."

His revenge came later in game, then he pillaged some austrian coal and caused the game to crash. I still have not figured out why? :confused:

Current Game (some bug fixes for Heavy Bombers, Cruisers and Battleships - see thread about naval tactics for the KI):

I have received Geminius for discovering Philosophie as first and then I get Empedocles for the Republic swing.

I only realized after three rounds of anarchy, that I have now two leaders... :eek:

Now you can start two "Scientific Golden Ages" at once... :D

But indeed, that must be very rare getting an SGL for Philosophy and then another one right away for the free tech!

BTW: I know that you can't get SGLs for techs popped from huts. Does anybody know, whether you can get an SGL for the free tech that a scientific nation gets when entering a new age, or for the free techs from Theory of Evolution?

i read on this forums before that this can happen, yes.
since i hardly ever played with SGLs on, I could not tell from own experience, though.
t_x

Now you can start two "Scientific Golden Ages" at once... :D

But indeed, that must be very rare getting an SGL for Philosophy and then another one right away for the free tech!
Well, you only get the extra free-tech if you're first to Philo, but you get the possibility of an SGL (3% for non-SCI, and 5% for SCI) if you're first to any tech.

Any successful Philo-based slingshot could therefore give you 2 SGLs, provided you picked a freebie-tech that no-one else knew -- but if you don't know everyone, or have CAII, Republic is the only choice that gives you a guaranteed 2nd chance at an SGL, because it's the only tech for which Philo is a pre-req.

For a successful Philo-slingshot to an unknown tech, p(2*SGL) = 0.03^2 = 0.09% (≈1/1111) for non-SCI Civs, 0.05^2 = 0.25% (1/400) for SCI Civs. So not that rare, provided that you're first to Philo -- that's probably the governing factor, especially at higher Diffs.
BTW: I know that you can't get SGLs for techs popped from huts. Does anybody know, whether you can get an SGL for the free tech that a scientific nation gets when entering a new age
Since SCI civs already have a higher probability of getting SGLs anyway (1/20 instead of ~1/33), it seems like it would be unreasonable to give them the possibility of getting an SGL for their New-Era freebie, which only SCI-Civs get. (Although possibly no more 'unfair' than restricting the SoZ to a Civ which had the good fortune to be spawned near Elephants...)

But how could it be prevented? W(ithout opening the Editor, w)ould I be right in assuming that the 1st-tier techs for each new era are all tagged 'Pre-requisite tech(s) = None'? If so, then by making SGLs only generatable from techs with prereqs, SCI-Civs could be prevented from getting a 'free-shot-at-an-SGL' for their New Era techs -- although of course that would also mean that no Civs could ever get an SGL from their 1st-tier research.

That would also increase the power of the human 'free-tech' trick, when running a SCI Civ, of gifting all the other SCI-Civs on the map into the next age, and buying all their 1st-tier free-techs, to get a 2nd-tier free-tech -- because then you could get an SGL for your own New-Era freebie!

Which begs the next question: Does anyone remember ever getting an SGL for a 1st-tier tech acquired through good honest research, rather than as a freebie?
, or for the free techs from Theory of Evolution?
Why not? That's just like the Philo free-tech really, isn't it? And as we've just seen, you can indeed get 2 SGLs for those! And what's more, any Civ can build the ToE...

Which begs the next question: Does anyone remember ever getting an SGL for a 1st-tier tech acquired through good honest research, rather than as a freebie?

yes, i know that *that* is possible. for science games this (in AA) even is an established strategy that by self-research of a very cheap 1st tier tech you should get n SGL for the Pyras and then proceed from there on...
t_x

Archimedes Workshop produce every 6 rounds a Siege Quinquereme (a powerful ancient warship).

But I assume, that the Iroquois will not find too many targets for these ships... :D

Anyone else is reminded to the classic pond navies of CIV2? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom