Force GoTo's and Automoves

namek0

Chieftain
Hello, i don't consider myself a newbie, as i've been playing conquests since it came out, but i can't seem to find an answer to my question all those years, googled a lot, read huge part of these forums, tried some utilities. But didn't find what i was looking for.

Is there anyone who knows or were able to make GoTo's and Automoves go first, before you? Now i use wait option for all units, but that really makes game boring, please help guys/gals =)

"Moves which are automated by you (worker automation, auto bombardment, auto whatever), and those moves which are pointed by you, or directed, for example i'm sending settler far away, it takes 30 turns, next turn it will move automatically, i don't need to point him again. And i need, that these moves would be performed at the beginning of the turn, and not after my manual moves. "

I have a memory of a keyboard shortcut key that would trigger automated moves, and I vaguely recall using it to complete all assigned worker turns for the existing turn.

However my memory is apparently very faulty because every now and then I look for this and cannot find it. Maybe it was a different version of civ, another TBS game or maybe I dreamed it.

For multiplayer it's CTRL + U i think, i read in c3c guide, tested it in single player - doens't work, never tested in multiplayer though, but somewhere i read, that it works in multiplayer. And i also know, that in CIV 4 is CTRL + A. But tool, hack, mod or whatever is good for me too.

I don't understand the question.
Do you mean way-points?

Question is simple, doesn't matter how you call moves which are automated by you (worker automation, auto bombardment, auto whatever), and those moves which are pointed by you, or directed, for example i'm sending settler far away, it takes 30 turns, next turn it will move automatically, i don't need to point him again. And i need, that these moves would be performed at the beginning of the turn, and not after my manual moves.

Question is simple, doesn't matter how you call moves which are automated by you (worker automation, auto bombardment, auto whatever), and those moves which are pointed by you, or directed, for example i'm sending settler far away, it takes 30 turns, next turn it will move automatically, i don't need to point him again. And i need, that these moves would be performed at the beginning of the turn, and not after my manual moves.
As far as I can tell, auto-moves in C3C are interspersed among the manual moves, not separated from them -- neither 'all-before', nor 'all after' -- and I never heard of a hotkey that forces this to occur in solo-games (never played multiplayer). The order of unit-moves seems to be based on either unit build-order(?) and/or 'movement sequence during the previous turn'(?).

If so, then you could 'force' all the automoves to the beginning of your next turn, by making sure that you've auto-moved everything you want to move (hitting 'W' for the unit(s) you want to manual-move) before you start making the manual moves during the current turn -- but you might have to keep doing this every couple of turns, especially if you have the 'Cancel orders for enemy unit' option checked (this cancels auto-moves, so should not be checked if you want to automate bombard-units with Range=1).

Or if you wanted to force all the auto-moves to the end of the turn, then you'd do the opposite: make all the manual moves first (hitting 'W' for the auto-movers), and then assign the auto-moves last -- but if movement-order is also based on build-order, you'd get all the auto-moves done en bloc, but would have to keep shifting them to the end as new units got built. So you might also want to restrict your auto-movements to a limited period, e.g. 3-5T. This might be sensible anyway, to avoid inadvertently sending unaccompanied Settlers+Workers into dangerous situations, e.g. within reach of just-spawned barb-units (during the first 50-100T), or the forces of an AI who might turn hostile without warning (T50-100 onwards).

That said, I can't think of any circumstances where you might want/need to send a Settler (at least) 30 tiles' distance (i.e. 30T at 1 tile per turn) across a map before founding a city: even if you're placing cities at CxxxxC, that represents about 5 rings from your Palace! And all the time he's in transit, the Settler is (most likely) costing you unit-maintenance GPT, instead of earning it.
  • During the early game, no Settler should be travelling for 30T before founding. If your prospective city-site was that far out, it would be unreinforceable for a very long time (1 non-Industrious Worker needs 120T to build a road across 30 flat tiles), very liable to flips (because it would almost certainly be closer to someone else's capital than yours), and pretty much useless for building anything except population-points (after you got it irrigated)
  • During the mid-game, if you've already got to the point where you're setting up beaker-/gold-farms in the boonies, then you'd be best-advised to build Settlers in your 50-90%-corrupt outer-ring cities using e.g. forest chops and/or cash-rushes, while your inner-ring cities use their higher SPT to build strong/fast/expensive military-units (to garrison the outer farms) and/or infrastructure (to further your game-aims). That way, your new Settlers only have to travel for 2-3T to their new home(s)...
  • And if your mid- to late-game has taken you into the Industrial Age, then you should acquire Steam ASAP, get hold of some Coal (either by colonisation, conquest or trade) and build a rail network. That way, you can get core-produced (Settler) units to the outskirts within 1T, not 30T...

Does it make a difference to uncheck the first option in the third column of the mid window "units"? What else would this storno option be good for?

As far as I can tell.....

You wrote so much it's hard to understand what you mean. But if i understood correctly, automated units for me moves at the end of my manual moves, it might be you are right in the way, but not fully.

Automated workers for me cleans pollution, i want that at beginning of the turn.
Automated workers builds roads/railroads for me when all titles of all cities are upgraded by my manual moves. I want that at the beginning of the turn.

These are at least two cases why i want that. And i'm not the only one, i found other people who failed to find answer to this. And i want this to be triggered by me. Not some option somewhere which puts it on the beginning or the end. It works on single player in CIV4 by pressing CTRL+A, i want something similar. It also can be a mod or tool or....

Does it make a difference to uncheck the first option in the third column of the mid window "units"? What else would this storno option be good for?

Please make a screenshot, i don't think i understand about option you are talking about.

That said, I can't think of any circumstances where you might want/need to send a Settler (at least) 30 tiles' distance (i.e. 30T at 1 tile per turn) across a map before founding a city: even if you're placing cities at CxxxxC, that represents about 5 rings from your Palace!

It was just an example, it doesn't have to be real...

Attachments

• C3C-Storno.jpg
    C3C-Storno.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 359
I think this option means:

"If one of your units on auto-move "meets" a unit of a friendly nation, interrupt the auto-move and stop
(The German translation is a bit "non-understandable"... In the English edition it says here: "Cancel orders for friendly combat unit"...)

I don't think it influences the order in which manual moves and auto-moves are executed. :think:

nameK0

How do you feel about automated bombing and artillery fire? Do you want either or both of those to go first or last? I would quite like the artillery to precede the bombing given that the bombers can kill what the artillery can only red line. In practise, I am rarely automating these kinds of moves anyway but I wondered what you thought.

I would also like my workers not to clear damage right up alongside the front line in a war zone but don't know how to prevent that except to go to manual.

I think this option means:

"If one of your units on auto-move "meets" a unit of a friendly nation, interrupt the auto-move and stop
(The German translation is a bit "non-understandable"... In the English edition it says here: "Cancel orders for friendly combat unit"...)

I don't think it influences the order in which manual moves and auto-moves are executed. :think:
It doesn't influence the move-sequence, no.

But my point was that you certainly need to deselect the 'Cancel orders for enemy unit' option if you want auto-bombardment to work properly with Range=1 units (Catapults, Trebs, Cannon), because those units have to be parked directly adjacent to their target in order to hit it. If you have 'Cancel for enemy' selected, you can't auto-bomb a city which still contains defenders, because during the interturn, all your gunners will 'forget' that they were supposed to be auto-bombing.

(Also a recommendation from bitter experience: don't use powerful units to auto-bomb Pop1-6 towns, containing only a few defenders, if you want to take those towns relatively intact *facepalm*. A Pop13+ capital containing half a dozen MechInfs, that's different...)

Personally, I've now deselected both, to ensure that any Worker-jobs which will take more than 1T (whether manual or automated) will not get interrupted, without my say-so, because it got seriously irritating when a scouting AICiv combat-unit moved adjacent to a Worker(-stack) during the interturn, especially when that Worker(-stack) was only 1-2T from finishing a long job, like a Hill-mine or a Mountain-road... :aargh: [pissed]

(Although it did take me a while to figure out that 'friendly unit' = 'belonging to an AICiv with whom I'm at peace', rather than 'mine' *double-facepalm*)

On topic:

I wonder if simply holding down 'W' (wait) would have the desired effect? Any auto-moving units shouldn't be affected, since they already have their orders -- so you'd get all your auto-moves done first, and then you could make your manual moves with all the units you'd told to wait. Although doing that still wouldn't allow you (Walletta) to designate which auto-moves got done first, so unfortunately you still wouldn't be able to guarantee that all your Arty-auto-bombardment happened before all your Bomber auto-bombardment...

nameK0

How do you feel about automated bombing and artillery fire? Do you want either or both of those to go first or last? I would quite like the artillery to precede the bombing given that the bombers can kill what the artillery can only red line. In practise, I am rarely automating these kinds of moves anyway but I wondered what you thought.

I would also like my workers not to clear damage right up alongside the front line in a war zone but don't know how to prevent that except to go to manual.

I don't really use automated bombardment, but i guess it depends on situation. I can't really think of one the way i do bombing. But if i did, almost every time it went at the beginning of the turn.

And yes war-time is different, i don't automate workers if i have front-line near enemy. But if i am on the island then even on war-time they can do their work automated.

I wonder if simply holding down 'W' (wait) would have the desired effect? Any auto-moving units shouldn't be affected, since they already have their orders -- so you'd get all your auto-moves done first, and then you could make your manual moves with all the units you'd told to wait. Although doing that still wouldn't allow you (Walletta) to designate which auto-moves got done first, so unfortunately you still wouldn't be able to guarantee that all your Arty-auto-bombardment happened before all your Bomber auto-bombardment...

This is what i do now. But i usually have a lot of units, if it's a big map, i love playing big maps with lots of cities. And that's a way around, but i really would love to have ability to just by clicking single button/hotkey to force them moving first.

Haven't we kind of talked about this already? And wasn't the conclusion, 'Don't bomb your enemy's territory quite so extensively during your advance...'? ;) That way, any of your Workers who are set to auto-clear damage will not then auto-endanger themselves by auto-rushing recklessly to the front to auto-fill the holes (and also, you won't have to re-improve those tiles once they've been secured).

If you feel that you absolutely have to pillage roads to inconvenience incoming AI-units, then rather than using Artillery/Bombers (which have the 'collateral damage' property checked in the Editor = they leave craters), maybe use e.g. Cavs or Cav-Armies instead (which don't). As well as not leaving craters, Armies don't use MP while pillaging either: Cav-Armies have 4MP, so could pillage 4 roaded (or railed?) flatland tiles per turn -- or you could use the Cav-Army to cover a stack of 4-8 Cavs (3MP = move-pillage-retreat), and pillage a swathe either side of the road you're using for your advance.

By the time you're in the late-Industrial/ early-Modern, your Cavs and Cav-Armies are fast approaching obsolescence anyway, so it makes sense to use them for any pillaging you want to do, while your Tanks and Tank-Armies do the attacking (maybe covered by a defensive Inf-Army containing 2-3 units -- and guns, lots of guns...).

OTOH, if you're fighting a defensive war to hold your island/continent (e.g. you were playing for a peaceful and/or non-expansionist VC), where the AI is cratering your lands rather than vice versa, automating Workers is not so problematic. Having a chain of Fortresses/ Barricades built along your borders/ coasts before hostilities began will slow down incoming fast-units, keeping them that bit further away from your damage-clearing Worker-stacks. And (on topic!) if you make sure that all your auto-moves happen first, any stacks which end up closest to the front/ invasion beachhead could be temporarily protected with 2-unit (8HP) defensive Armies:
  • 2-Rifle Armies have A/D/M = 6/9/2
  • 2-Inf Armies have A/D/M = 9/15/2
  • 2-MechInf Armies have A/D/M = 18/27/3
... assuming you already built the MilAcad (you did already build the MilAcad, right...?). Or you could use single-defender units with D-values boosted by building Radar Towers just behind your borders.

Haven't we kind of talked about this already? And wasn't the conclusion, 'Don't bomb your enemy's territory quite so extensively during your advance...'? ;) That way, any of your Workers who are set to auto-clear damage will not then auto-endanger themselves by auto-rushing recklessly to the front to auto-fill the holes (and also, you won't have to re-improve those tiles once they've been secured).

If you feel that you absolutely have to pillage roads to inconvenience incoming AI-units, then rather than using Artillery/Bombers (which have the 'collateral damage' property checked in the Editor = they leave craters), maybe use e.g. Cavs or Cav-Armies instead (which don't). As well as not leaving craters, Armies don't use MP while pillaging either: Cav-Armies have 4MP, so could pillage 4 roaded (or railed?) flatland tiles per turn -- or you could use the Cav-Army to cover a stack of 4-8 Cavs (3MP = move-pillage-retreat), and pillage a swathe either side of the road you're using for your advance.

By the time you're in the late-Industrial/ early-Modern, your Cavs and Cav-Armies are fast approaching obsolescence anyway, so it makes sense to use them for any pillaging you want to do, while your Tanks and Tank-Armies do the attacking (maybe covered by a defensive Inf-Army containing 2-3 units -- and guns, lots of guns...).

OTOH, if you're fighting a defensive war to hold your island/continent (e.g. you were playing for a peaceful and/or non-expansionist VC), where the AI is cratering your lands rather than vice versa, automating Workers is not so problematic. Having a chain of Fortresses/ Barricades built along your borders/ coasts before hostilities began will slow down incoming fast-units, keeping them that bit further away from your damage-clearing Worker-stacks. And (on topic!) if you make sure that all your auto-moves happen first, any stacks which end up closest to the front/ invasion beachhead could be temporarily protected with 2-unit (8HP) defensive Armies:
  • 2-Rifle Armies have A/D/M = 6/9/2
  • 2-Inf Armies have A/D/M = 9/15/2
  • 2-MechInf Armies have A/D/M = 18/27/3
... assuming you already built the MilAcad (you did already build the MilAcad, right...?). Or you could use single-defender units with D-values boosted by building Radar Towers just behind your borders.

I remember that discussion. It was agreed that the road in and the road out of the target city should be left intact but that wrecking other infra-structure/resources etc was OK. So, when one of these bombed-out ruins is conquered, the moronic workers will sometimes take it upon themselves to march to the front and start filling-in holes right in the teeth of the enemy. It's as if they have no sense of danger. Or loyalty.

Top Bottom