I want to loot Great works before liberating a city!

darkpigraph

Chieftain
I like to play a cultural game and maintain decent relationships with most civs in the game, for this reason the likeliest reason for me to declare war is in order to liberate cities.

Every now and again I come up against a situation which presents me with a dilemma - i capture a city from an AI that is the only possible city to liberate (CS, or last unrazed city), which then contains a great work. So if i do choose to liberate i lose out on the great work - in the last case the great work was left in a city state, effectively removing it from play.

Now i know i could puppet the CS, take the great work form the culture screen, sell the CS to another potential victim and then liberate it later, but i was wondering if anyone had any other insights into this dilemma? I want to try and avoid unnecessary Warmonger penalties if possible.

Perhaps reload to before the city capture in the hope that the RNG destroys the amphitheater in this case, thus relocating the GWW to one of my slots?

I never do that, and quite frankly, it's unlikely that I will, because ultimately it's a waste of resources. It's far better if a city or more of them just keep switching ownerships, until it's down to a useless 1 pop, that gimps both sides and is simply a burden to whoever player controls it. Of course, unless it's the Huns we're talking about, they like burning stuff down :)

I'm not sure what you mean in the last sentence, but when the city is burning down and losing buildings, when a building containing a GW is burned, I believe the work is simply lost and not relocated. AFAIK capturing cities is the same, if the amphitheater is destroyed, it doesn't automatically relocate the work.

I would not liberate with only a few exceptions.
1) I am going to try for a diplo win and the city I can liberate will resurrect a civ, thus giving me more votes.
2) I am getting clobbered with happiness and do not have the strength to hold the city against a counter attack...(granted, this one is extremely rare).

Otherwise, I would either puppet or raze, depending on location and the city quality.

yeah about that, I'm not sure resurrecting a civ means automatic votes. It works for occupied city states yes

I am fairly certain it has happened each time I have done it. Only on the world leader vote, though. They won't automatically side with you on, say, a vote to ban pearls or something like that.

I'm not sure what you mean in the last sentence, but when the city is burning down and losing buildings, when a building containing a GW is burned, I believe the work is simply lost and not relocated. AFAIK capturing cities is the same, if the amphitheater is destroyed, it doesn't automatically relocate the work.

First part is right, second part not so much. When you cap a city with a great work, but it's housing building is destroyed, it'll show up in one of your other cities. That has been my experience when puppeting. I'm not sure about a liberation with the building destroyed. I don't think so - I've not had it happen that I've noticed.

I'm talking about when buildings get destroyed on the turn you capture the city - if the building housing the great work gets destroyed, the work automatically teleports to one of your great work slots.

It would be cool if spies could steal great works. This would create a whole new dynamic for the espionage game.

yeah about that, I'm not sure resurrecting a civ means automatic votes. It works for occupied city states yes

It does mean automatic votes for world leader.

It would be cool if spies could steal great works. This would create a whole new dynamic for the espionage game.

Yeah, except that would cause so much rage when you screw up careful theming bonuses. That would be an insanely harsh penalty. If you want to be able to steal great works then would need to remove theming bonuses.

I'm talking about when buildings get destroyed on the turn you capture the city - if the building housing the great work gets destroyed, the work automatically teleports to one of your great work slots.

When you cap a city with a great work, but it's housing building is destroyed, it'll show up in one of your other cities. That has been my experience when puppeting.

That is cool, I will keep an eye out for that. I don't conqueor much, but the notifications about GW have been a 1:1 match to what ends up in the city.

I'm not sure about a liberation with the building destroyed. I don't think so - I've not had it happen that I've noticed.

Hmm, it would have to be the same mechanic, no?

...So if i do choose to liberate i lose out on the great work - in the last case the great work was left in a city state, effectively removing it from play.

No good answers so far. I think you just have to chalk up losing GW to an opportunity cost associated with Liberating.

Well, it would be cool to do to other folks. Probably not so cool to be on the receiving end of.

The espionage system is tacked on, so it doesn't have proper inputs and outputs. It can never be a real high-stakes arena in its own right, because spies don't represent any real investment. You get them for free, you send them on missions for free, and the entire design is set up so that all civ's are, for the most part, on equal footing. What you can do to somebody else you can generally expect to have done to you.

There's a card game called Dominion. Maybe some of you know of it. One of the cards in the game is the thief. It steals a card from another player and puts it in your discard pile. When the thief is in the game, often the only real defense against is to fight fire with fire and start playing as many thieves as they can. The end result? Everyone's constantly stealing form each other and what should be a fairly light and fast game grinds down. Experienced Dominion players usually chuck the thief out. If spies could actually steal or destroy or otherwise hinder other civ's, the result would be much the same.

Ok, this is how you do it. Immediately upon capturing the city choose the View City option. When the city view comes up click on the great work. This will take you into Culture screen where you can move the great work to one of your cities. Close the culture screen and then chose the Liberate option. The city will be liberated and you have recovered the great work/artifact.

Yes you can move great works from the culture panel from one city to another, I don't see how this is a problem. Move the work to another city and liberate it.

Ok, this is how you do it. Immediately upon capturing the city choose the View City option. When the city view comes up click on the great work. This will take you into Culture screen where you can move the great work to one of your cities. Close the culture screen and then chose the Liberate option. The city will be liberated and you have recovered the great work/artifact.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am fairly certain that when you click on the great work in city view you only get to the splash screen for the gw, not your culture screen. if there is a way to access the culture screen while the annex/ puppet/ liberate dialog box is open that wouldobviously solve the issue. I will try this again.

@OP: you can do this, I've just done it three times when liberating 2 of the Aztecs cities from Sweden, and recalling the Mayans back to life. When you capture a city don't select anything but click the tourism icon and you should be able to swap the art out. When you close the tourism window you'll be presented with the liberate/annex/raze/view window. I'm using the EUI in case that's a factor.

Perhaps reload to before the city capture in the hope that the RNG destroys the amphitheater in this case, thus relocating the GWW to one of my slots?

That is called "Cheating" in my books,...Where is the fun in that...???

If all your great work slots are filled up and you capture a city that has great works in it, then the great works that you captured in the city will be lost when the building that the great work was in is destroyed (i.e destroyed museum with a great work of art upon city capture).

I finally had a chance to try this, but it did not work for me. View City screen showed the GW sure enough, but clicking on them just showed the art work (like you get when creating a GW from an GA). I could not figure out anything that would take me into the culture screen where you can move GW around. It was a CS, and I had taken a cap, so I liberated it.

Top Bottom