Planetfall

I uploaded version two of Planetfall. It's mainly a graphical update. Gameplay changes to follow in the third version! Though one thing of note: as a test I've halved research costs to see if the game flows better then.

Planetfall is brought to you by:

Things are looking better. We have terraformers! :D And I've noticed health and planet values are separate now. Thanks. ^^

It happened during loading. I never got to the game. I completely uninstalled CIV IV & BtS, then reloaded the whole thing from scratch and updated to 313 before trying to install Planetfall. Everything should have been good to go. :confused:

I'm afraid I have no idea what could be the problem. :(

How about IoDs can't destroy improvements, but Sealurks can, and only Sealurks spawn later?

Yeah I'm also thinking more in that direction. Otherwise, by tying it to a tech, you could keep native life outside your borders forever.

Version 2 looks good, it just crashed me when I clicked next turn at the very start of my turn, when some borders expanded.

Hmm, haven't encountered that one before yet.
A wild guess: was nutrient consumption higher than nutrient production in that base? (A size 1 city can produce no food without disappearing/starving out)

What would it take to be able to do unit textures/models for this? I used to play with Gmax, so maybe I could contribute in the 3D department?

W00t! Do you have the skills to do for example do CP/former/crawler/sea CP, sea former/etc... models or graphics?

W00t! Do you have the skills to do for example do CP/former/crawler/sea CP, sea former/etc... models or graphics?

I could have a go, the best thing I ever made was the Soviet radar dish from Red Alert 2, with little detail. I could try naval units first since they aren't usually animated.

OK, here's the start of an attempt at a foil:

Spoiler :
This bit is the base thing

@ the Reckoning: make sure to make the poly count as low as possible. around 1000 polys is good. rely mostly of texture for details and delete polys that wont be seen (this helps game speed) (just my 2c ;) )

The Reckoning: Great job--just from the perspective of an end user.

Maniac and the team--thanks so much for getting a lot of original SMAC flavour into Planetfall; I get a crash in the mod after 30 or so turns, but it's early days yet.

Sea colony pod:

Spoiler :

Sealurk:

Spoiler :

This is mostly a texture/materials job, but there's a base model. Instead of using floating bears :D The water is just a big flat blue box I put there for the sake of seeing what's above the water and making it look better. I'm not sure how it works with submersion in the Civ4 water, so I'll probably need to cut everything below the XY plane, unless the game automatically cuts it itself.

And do we want it animated?

Good? Change something?

Looks cool. :D Do you have a download for that?

This is mostly a texture/materials job, but there's a base model. Instead of using floating bears :D The water is just a big flat blue box I put there for the sake of seeing what's above the water and making it look better. I'm not sure how it works with submersion in the Civ4 water, so I'll probably need to cut everything below the XY plane, unless the game automatically cuts it itself.

I think it cuts stuff by itself.

And do we want it animated?

Sure if you want to. :D

Btw, may I invite you to have a look at the Former and colony pod graphics[/url[ thread which I moved the public forum, specifically post #8? Do you know how to do what Rubin suggests? Do you know how to unpack the pak file?

Very nice mod :). But I often get this while waiting for next turn:

Code:
Assert Failed

File:  g:\games\sid meier's civilization 4\beyond the sword\mods\_pf bts\tmp\sdk_bts\cvgamecoredll\cvselectiongroupai.cpp
Line:  168
Expression:  false
And another one:

Code:
Assert Failed

File:  g:\games\sid meier's civilization 4\beyond the sword\mods\_pf bts\tmp\sdk_bts\cvgamecoredll\cvunitai.cpp
Line:  7119
Expression:  canDefend()
Edit2: And another one.

Code:
Assert Failed

File:  g:\games\sid meier's civilization 4\beyond the sword\mods\_pf bts\tmp\sdk_bts\cvgamecoredll\cvgametextmgr.cpp
Line:  12353
Expression:  city.getBaseCommerceRateTimes100(eCommerceType) == iBaseCommerceRate
Message:  Base Commerce rate does not agree with actual value

Code:
Assert Failed

File:  g:\games\sid meier's civilization 4\beyond the sword\mods\_pf bts\tmp\sdk_bts\cvgamecoredll\cvgametextmgr.cpp
Line:  12459
Expression:  iModYield == city.getCommerceRateTimes100(eCommerceType)

Edit3: Even more:

Code:
Assert Failed

File:  g:\games\sid meier's civilization 4\beyond the sword\mods\_pf bts\tmp\sdk_bts\cvgamecoredll\cvunitai.cpp
Line:  16915
ty :)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O3QT3GU3

There's the 3dsmax foil base, sea colony pod and sealurk. You'll need WinRAR to open it. The compression on them is great, about 1mb down to 47kb. I think later on I'll either have a go at animating the sealurk or making a missile foil.

Also, in the game there are two entries for Former., I assume for 2 different production values so the upgrade is cheap. When you upgrade the Unity Supplies thing, it seems to upgrade to the different former, which has no automation commands, like "auto improve" and "road to".

Some Qs:

Are we planning on having different graphics for the Missile I/Missile II etc. units? Sine I imagine a railgun looks different to a "grey goozer" [nanobots which eat everything?].

What is the Unity Supplies thing represented by the great merchant model?

I think The Cloning Vats should have +30% food store, instead of +60%. Else you will keep 90% with the Children's Cresh.

Edit:
*Pillaging a forest will leave a real forest.
*Strength upgrades does not work.
*Choppers should move at least on shores, and should not get penalty for attacking over rivers.

I think The Cloning Vats should have +30% food store, instead of +60%. Else you will keep 90% with the Children's Cresh.

Edit:
*Choppers should move at least on shores, and should not get penalty for attacking over rivers.
I wonder if there's a way for the wonder to double the surplus of food that's available. Or cut the size of the granary storage bar in half.

Also, the idea of pillaging forests has given me the idea of units with the kinds of weapons that can doubly act as means to remove fungus. Of course, the tile in question would probably be about as useful as those with fallout immediately afterward. I imagine the weapons in question would also be the kind that could roast mind worms faster than conventional flame guns. (Potential bonus vs. native life?)

Very nice mod :). But I often get this while waiting for next turn:

You found two new bugs:

Code:
Assert Failed

Line:  7119
Expression:  canDefend()
and

Code:
Assert Failed

Line:  16915
The cvselectiongroupai.cpp assert we've encountered before, but unfortunately I have no idea what's causing it. :( Did you get the canDefend() assert at the same time as the cvselectiongroup ai assert?

The last one is caused by hovering over the culture bar while you have a positive Planet. The cause of this is known and will be fixed in the next DLL.

Thanks. Though unfortunately I can't do anything with max files. :( I'm a complete graphics ignorant, so the only way I can include graphics in the mod is if all the necessary files are there (ie nif) and the only thing I still need to do is do the XML. Though hopefully other people will be able to help further with these graphics.

Are we planning on having different graphics for the Missile I/Missile II etc. units?

Later on, but I'd suggest to wait with making final graphics for these until we have the unit system coded in SDK. The best to deal with these is probably not making full unit graphics for each unit, but let the weapon be attached to a base unit graphics, like promotions change the graphics of the Gravebringers in Afterworld.
So in the meanwhile I think it's best to concentrate on so-called "Total Concept Units" which can't be modified by a unit workshop. Usually non-combat units except for native life. This means colony pod, former, sea former, mind worm...

[quote["grey goozer" [nanobots which eat everything?].[/quote]

Yep. :D

What is the Unity Supplies thing represented by the great merchant model?

I mean, what should the unit look like? Boxcar on tracks?

No idea. You got any ideas/inspiration? :mischief:

Yeah I agree. In an earlier tech tree Cloning Vats came in the very endgame, meaning such a bonus might not be so unbalancing. Where the building currently is, the effect should indeed be less.

I don't understand. How can you pillage a forest? Doesn't the forest improvement disappear after planting a forest?

Indeed. :( Known. Will hopefully have unit code by Ellestar for the next version.

Choppers are kinda tricky. I'd prefer them to be like choppers in SMAC (without multiple attacks) but unfortunately that's not possible in Civ4. :( Will definitely make them cross rivers without a penalty though!

Did you get the canDefend() assert at the same time as the cvselectiongroup ai assert?

Don't know. I used always ignore on asserts so I only see new ones (because they came very often).

...promotions change the graphics of the Gravebringers in Afterworld.

About that, in meantime you should set the boss from that mod to native life.

I don't understand. How can you pillage a forest? Doesn't the forest improvement disappear after planting a forest?

When I build a forest, first it's just a small container (with full bonuses). Then if someone pillage it the normal forest feature will be added (one less food).

Indeed. :( Known. Will hopefully have unit code by Ellestar for the next version.

Choppers are kinda tricky. I'd prefer them to be like choppers in SMAC (without multiple attacks) but unfortunately that's not possible in Civ4. :( Will definitely make them cross rivers without a penalty though!

Well FfH have booth +strength and land+coast movement. Maybe talk to kael?

When I build a forest, first it's just a small container (with full bonuses). Then if someone pillage it the normal forest feature will be added (one less food).

Seems like I messed up the forest plant code recently. It's using onImprovementDestroyed instead of the intended onImprovementBuilt. Good thing you noticed. :mischief:

Well FfH have booth +strength and land+coast movement. Maybe talk to kael?

The problem is not giving land+coast movement. That would be possible. Well at least partly - there would also be the unintended effect that choppers could also walk on sea fungus on ocean tiles. What I'd really prefer though would be choppers having a certain action range from friendly bases/carriers.

Originally Posted by The_Reckoning
ty

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=O3QT3GU3

Thanks. Though unfortunately I can't do anything with max files. I'm a complete graphics ignorant, so the only way I can include graphics in the mod is if all the necessary files are there (ie nif) and the only thing I still need to do is do the XML. Though hopefully other people will be able to help further with these graphics.

I tried to convert those to .nif files for you, but my Max cant open the files. what version of Max do you have Reckoning?

EDIT:
oh, yourse is 9. ive only got 7.

EDIT 2:

@ Reckoning check out this tutorial on how to turn Max files into .Nif files. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=161099
its very straight forward. if you need a hand just yell :)

Top Bottom