Civ 5 wont start!!

Doh!! looks like I'm off to blockbusters to see how much they'll give me for it thanks for your help

I've spent some good money on my machine just to play games like this and all that happens for me is is that I see the intro video and then the screen goes black and there's some background music playing.
Plus I've no idea why the game or steam insisted on loading divx9 and then tells me to run 10/11. Not computer savvy, just want to put the disc in and play the game. I'm very unhappy and frustrated.

Intel i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
6GB Ram
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

Oh, and all my drivers are up to date.

My parents spend a hundred bucks buying CIV 5, it's my christmas gift. And it don't work. Now i am very frustated for making my parents spend so much money for the game to not even start.

I click in the icon on the desktop, choose DX10/11 and a black window flashes for about half a second in the screen and then nothing happens, if i choose DX9 the same happens. It happened the same thing to the demo version.
Someone can please help me?

My specs(saw it on canyourunit.com):

CPU SPEED:2.66 GHz
RAM: 3.2 GB
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 32-bit
VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) GMA 3100xpress Chipset Fam
DIRECTX VERSION: 10.0
SOUND CARD: High Definition Audio Device
FREE DISK SPACE: 290.1 GB
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz

VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) GMA 3100xpress Chipset Fam

This is your problem, an Intel "graphics" card isn't going to cut the cake. You'll need to get a new graphics card, sorry. I have no idea what they cost in Brazil, but some that are $100-200 in Canada/USA are the ATI 5770 or NVIDIA GTX 260 or GTX 460. Hell even a NVIDIA 8800GT should run the game and will be really cheap if you can find one (or a 9800, which is almost exactly the same card and more likely to be availaible).

A NVIDIA 260 or 460 or whatever the equivalent ATI cards are should last you a few years at high settings though :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!:sad::(:cry::cry::cry::cry::sad::confused:
Well, thanks for the answer. I will start saving money right now.

Now i have to listen my mom complaining about how i make her spend a hundred bucks for nothing.:mischief:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!:sad::(:cry::cry::cry::cry::sad::confused:
Well, thanks for the answer. I will start saving money right now.

Now i have to listen my mom complaining about how i make her spend a hundred bucks for nothing.:mischief:
Look on the bright side, by the time you get a new graphics card the next patch will be out. Depending on your money situation maybe even more patches will be released :)

Look on the bright side, by the time you get a new graphics card the next patch will be out. Depending on your money situation maybe even more patches will be released :)

:(Yeah... I hope so...:(

BTW, i found a NVIDIA 9800GT DDR3 for 500 bucks here:), but i think i will have to wait till by birthday, that is in april, to buy it.:sad:

That is $303.00 US. That is still a lot for one game. It better be 1024 meg ram.

Hey, I'm having the same problem in Steam... Civ 5 had run fine previously on this computer, then I reinstalled Windows and on the first go it brought me to the video and then it crashed a couple seconds into it. Thinking it was a video problem I edited the config to skip the video, now I crash right upon startup (black screen). Thinking it might be a resolution problem I edited it to be windowed in 1024 768, no luck. No luck on either DX9 or DC11, same thing happens.

I've updated my driver, C++, and DirectX. No problems detected through DXdiag.

Specs:

Radeon HD 5830
8 GB Ram
Tons of Hard drive space
AMD Thuban x6 1055T

So I should be way beyond the minimum requirements... :S

Any idea where it could be? I imagine it would be in the software somewhere but I can't seem to figure out which one. Windows updates and all my other software has been updated to at least a few months ago. I'm dying to try out the new patch >.<

EDIT: Reinstalled the game once. Still didn't work. Figured what the heck, might as well do it another time....and its fixed. :S

I am having the same problem as others here. But I just want to know if it might be my graphics card that is the cause. I have an ATI Radeon x1200 is this enough to run the game or do I need to upgrade?

Top Bottom