What's the largest city you grew?

The Largest must have been either 52 or 56 me thinks.

... How the F do you guys do that?! Best I ever did (on king) was a 40. How does anyone get into the 50's, even with terrace farms?

Temple of Artemis, Hanging Gardens, feed the world, Fertility rights. Click the I win button. King level.

Best I've ever gotten using Emigration mod was 119. No other mods of significance, but MAN does your population snowball.

Largest was 58 playing as India, Delhi was enormous, no mods. Unfortunately, I lost the save upgrading to windows 8 so I can't show screeny :(
Was playing on Prince or King I think on a duel map on Pangea against the Ottomans. I built EVERY SINGLE WONDER in Delhi,
which probably helped...a lot.

For some reason, I don't focus so much on City-Size, I prefer early Production. Largest I've had (that I can remember) is around 26 or 28 population. In the game I'm playing though (as Napoleon), I attacked Ramesses; Thebes had a population of 41.

My most populated city had 40. But after that it went into stagnation, and I lost some maritime CS allies, and so starvation hit :/
Also, the limit for number of citizens is 99. Probably impossible to achieve that high population legitimately.

My most populated city had 40. But after that it went into stagnation, and I lost some maritime CS allies, and so starvation hit :/
Also, the limit for number of citizens is 99. Probably impossible to achieve that high population legitimately.

What do you mean by "Probably impossible to achieve that high population legitimately"? I do use mods and that is what got me to 165 on my city size. If you are calling people who use mods cheaters, then I feel sorry for the wrath you'll endure from the mod community, if not then you might want to do your homework.

I got 19 just now while playing the G&K demo. Would've been a lot higher, but the demo ends in 800 AD. That may well be the highest I've ever had in Civ5 - usually I'm running into happiness limits so everything grinds to a halt. This time I did OCC, and was actually much more successful all around.

What do you mean by "Probably impossible to achieve that high population legitimately"? I do use mods and that is what got me to 165 on my city size. If you are calling people who use mods cheaters, then I feel sorry for the wrath you'll endure from the mod community, if not then you might want to do your homework.

I dunno about Civ5, but at least for Civ3 and Civ4 general discussions, it's generally assumed that unless the thread says otherwise it's mainly talking about the base game. If for no other reason than that comparing the base game to any mod you choose is like comparing apples to oranges.

Without mods I got to something between 70 and 80. I played the game solely to get the biggest city I could, with settler difficulty level, 41 city states and only one opponent. I chose Siam to get more gifts from CS and was able to ally all of them, so the maritime ones got me a lot of extra food.

I got 19 just now while playing the G&K demo. Would've been a lot higher, but the demo ends in 800 AD. That may well be the highest I've ever had in Civ5 - usually I'm running into happiness limits so everything grinds to a halt. This time I did OCC, and was actually much more successful all around.

I dunno about Civ5, but at least for Civ3 and Civ4 general discussions, it's generally assumed that unless the thread says otherwise it's mainly talking about the base game. If for no other reason than that comparing the base game to any mod you choose is like comparing apples to oranges.

If they are comparing vanilla to a modded game, then they need to say that. Saying "legitimately" implies that someone who got higher than 99 is cheating.

I use mods because I find the base game boring. In no way does that mean I have or ever will cheat to win.

Unfortunately due to me changing mods again and again I cannot load the games to provide pictures but I remember two distinct cities (note: many, many mods were used)

America: New York - 120's
Rome: Rome - 150's

With the IGE I add every civilization's granaries and buildings and the cities grow substantially. Without mods my cities usually just go up to 50. I could probably prolong a game to let it grow but I am rather impatient.

I might have formulated myself wrong, I meant with vanilla. Not saying using a mod is illegitimate :D

I'm wondering if I should delay victory in my current Egypt/King/Small game to see how much city growth I'll get. There are 3 rivers intersecting near Thebes, so a ton of flood plains. I got Hanging Gardens and Petra, and have Fertility Rites and Swords into Plowshares. Some brief wars and Happiness issues have probably slowed me down a bit, but I still anticipate topping 50 rather easily.

43 in my Bollywood game.

NO. The highest possible is 193 with Monty, every workable tile is Bananas, on a river, on a Huge map with every city-state being Maritime :)

Top Bottom