Installing Civ 4 on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32-/64-bit)

Tried that still doesnt work
Will try downloading another patch in case they have been corrupted somehow

In my attempts to install Civ IV BTS onto my PC (which is almost three years old, but has been barely used in the interim) I have been getting this error.

"Sid Meier's Civilization 4 is not installed properly. Please re-install and then retry the Sid Meier's Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword installation."

This is my first attempt to install the game, I have gone through the control panel to double check, and there is nothing there. I am right-clicking on setup to run as administrator, but this is still what I am getting from the InstallShield Wizard.

Any advice?

Thanks

Do you have the original Civ 4 installed? BTS is an expansion and will not install unless original Civ 4 is already installed. If you have not installed the original, that is what the message is referring to. Also, both have to be the same "style", that is both from disk or both online downloads, even to the extent that if downloads, they came from the same online source. Any mismatch here will also give you that message.

Hi there, this was very helpful, but it seems my problems have gone full circle.

I am using an older laptop with Windows 7 [sigh], and Civ4 vanilla. I do not have the expansions. I installed civ4 and had issues right away [because it was ver1.09], and the online solutions seemed to say get 1.74. My issue with installing 1.74 was I didnt have 1.61.

When I first attempted to run 1.09, after telling me this had known compatibility issues, the game would attempt to load and at "init engine" I would get an error about rendering graphics or so, with a bunch of parameters afterwards. It then shuts down

Since 1.74, I do not get the compatibility issues message, but the engine still will not initialize. I am sooo dissapointed and craving civ4, someone please help.

Had some problems w/civ4 recently so decided to uninstall and reinstall everything; Civ4 gold (including vanilla and warlords) and BtS.

Is it required to install the 1.74 patch for vanilla AND the 2.13 for warlords PRIOR to installing BtS? Or is there another sequence? Say, installing 1.61 for vanilla before 1.74? Or, do I even need to patch the vanilla and/or warlords because the disks were purchased in the Civ4 GOLD package?

It's the sequence of installing/patching that I'm unsure of. It was 3 years ago when I first installed the GOLD package and I can't recall the order of installation/patching now.

I have always re-installed as above and have never had a problem. Now on my 4th re-install on Windows Vista/7

Thanks, Kiwitt, for the response. So you recommend installing vanilla and warlords (via the GOLD package), then patches for both, then BtS, then 3.19?

I've had trouble lately with my favorite mod, and I'm attempting to restore functionality to it by this process. Several attempts have been made in the last few days with no success. Still trying.

Finally installed the GOLD package. Then attempted to install the 1.74 patch. Before the shield wizard could appear, little window popped up and said that I had NO version of Civ4 installed. Downloaded and attempted to install 1.61 patch. Same result. Is the GOLD version of the Civ4/Warlords already patched with these? If not, should I start with an even older patch?

Hi,

Thanks for all this information.

I have installed Civ4 on Win7 64 bit and had success running the game, and the tutorial (I am coming from WinXP and Civ2).

When I try to run either of the patches (such as Civ4Patch1.74_Final.exe), I get an error message:

---------------------------
Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - InstallShield Wizard
The setup has detected that no version of Sid Meier's Civilization 4 is installed.

This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed.
OK

So first, do I need the patches if it's running fine on Win 7 Ultimage 64 bit SP1, and how would I fix these errors?

I am having trouble with the Complete Edition on our Vista computer. Civ Vanilla & Civ War starts just fine.
Civ BTS & Colonization won't run. I've checked all my settings and made sure Vista, DirectX and Graphics are updated. Running a Radeon HD 7750 graphics card
Here is the error message:
Initialize Renderer failed. Check DirectX Installation, Latest Graphics Drivers and Graphics Settings
Parameters:
-width =1280
-height =720
-flags = 0xc
-hwnd =0x1600e0
-adaptrid = 0
-deviceid = 1
Error:

Hi,
I tried to follow your instructions. I was trying to install the basic Civ 4. I have win 7 professional and 32 bit. I installed the two patches as instructed but when I try to start the game the following appears: THE PROGRA, CAN’T START BECAUSE D3DX9_32.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

What went wrong?

Did you install the DirectX files as well?

OK, if there is a specific answer in this mammoth thread, I did not find it.... My wife and I returned to CIV after a sojourn in online games. I bought two DVDs and installed the game on our two win7 solid computers, one a desktop with maximum ram and good video card and CPU, the other a Dell laptop with a good video card and cpu. Initially they played BtS with no problems at all, but now both have a weird crash midway through loading when a black screen flickers and they end up with a task bar icon, but no availability to actually run the game. However, for other reasons I installed the game on a strictly inferior laptop, also running win 7, and it is running just fine.

Any ideas, anyone????

ps. All the systems are running Win 7 home 64 bit

Did you make sure you followed every step as per the first post.

In a word, yes. I removed all CIV files and registry items, and reinstalled as administrator. The desktop is still crashing in the load phase, and leaving a taskbar icon. I kept trying to get it to run from there, and one time it started, but never since. On the laptop I still get the crash and icon, but the game did eventually start.

OK, I ran CCC on both systems, the laptop seems to b e OK, but the desktop is still doing the same thing, black screen, crash of the prog, and an icon in the taskbar.... I can't see a system issue, and it massively exceeds the system requirements.

Top Bottom