Tomatekh's Historical Religion Mods

Hey I'm using your Islamic denominations in my current game, and the Shi'ite logo isn't appearing when I hover my mouse over city screens (Logo should be before pressure number). Is this a known problem.

There will be an update to the mod within a day or two. It's just a compatibility issue that came about recently and I haven't had the time to post the update yet. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Will the update break the save? I finally got a good starting location for my... Iranian game... (Reason I got it for Shi'ism and I started next to Israel :D) All the AIs are user-made civilizations.

Will the update break the save? I finally got a good starting location for my... Iranian game... (Reason I got it for Shi'ism and I started next to Israel :D) All the AIs are user-made civilizations.

I don't think it will, however, I realize now I need to release the update to the main mod before I update the denomination pack (otherwise I would have to release the update twice), so the fix might not come till next week now (sorry, for the delay).

Update to the main version of the mod is still coming, I’ve just expanded my original goals. There are about 8-10 new religions now.

I did release the fix for the Islam pack. It should still work with old versions, if not, I left a link for the previous version on the steam workshop page to download if you need to continue your game.

DaNuke: I mean no disrespect to anyone's actual beliefs here and now; but Wicca has never been historically dominant anywhere on Earth -- which would exclude it from this particular mod. If you'd like to add Wicca to Civ5, you're better off putting it in a mod of its own.

Tomatekh, that reminds me: would you please add Norway (trystero's version and/or JFD's version) to the list of civilizations that prefer Forn Siðr? Tusen takk for one of my favorite mods!

What religions are new in the newest version?

-JFDs mods should all be supported already. I believe tyresto's are as well (I definitely set his Inuit mod so I assume I set the rest as well).

-The mod purposefully only aims to add pre-modern or indigenous religions, which precludes Wicca. I have nothing against the New Age religions, per se, it's just there are so many of them. I believe there is also a standalone Wicca mod on the workshop.

-Off the top of my head it was Thracian/Illyrian, Pre-Islamic Arabic, Mandeanism, Indigenous Antillean, Midewiwin, Maasai, and some others I can't remember (I'm not at my computer at the moment).

Thank you very much.

DaNuke: I mean no disrespect to anyone's actual beliefs here and now; but Wicca has never been historically dominant anywhere on Earth -- which would exclude it from this particular mod. If you'd like to add Wicca to Civ5, you're better off putting it in a mod of its own.
I don't care if it was or if it wasn't hitorically dominant, I just asked him if he could do it :rolleyes:

I was looking over the update to the Historical Religions and I noticed that the Islam split was gone. Was that on purpose?

So, as some of you noticed, I released the update yesterday, and then was too lazy to finishing documenting it everywhere so left off the post till today :p

Truth be told, I'm not 100% satisfied with one of the new icons. I also meant to replace the Inuit, Tupi, and Aborigine icons (either with something more appropriate or because I was using the symbol in another project). I didn't get around to this, but I also didn't want to delay the update any longer, so the next update will focus on touching up the existing art more than adding any new religions.

One other focus of the next update might be separating all the religions into their own files. This would make it easier to remove individual religions as you can just delete the file outright instead of editing lines of the main file. Why haven't I done this yet, well, because, it's a lot of tedious work converting 60 religions into this format. Also, there are some concerns about it increasing the load time of the mod in general.

So, yes, the main mod now contains 60 religions, with this version adding 12! A lot of African religions this time, as previously I only covered a small part of the continent.

The new religions are:

-Mandaenism; One of the early Gnostic religions, and one of the only outright Gnostic religions still practiced today.
-Heros Karabazmos; Paleo-Balkan religion covering Thrace, Dacia, Illyria, etc.
-Al-Asnam; Okay, horrible name for this as it's "statues" (i.e. idols) in Arabic, because no records and its not called by anything else anymore. I will change the name once I find something more appropriate. Anyway, it's Pre-Islamic Arabic religion, appropriate for the Sabaeans, Nabataeans, etc.
-Voodoo; Re-added from an older version of the mod. It somewhat overlaps with the existing "Itan" religion of the mod, but it was requested and is probably the most known representation for African diasporic religion.
-Vedism; From the Hindu Denominations mod (no overlap if you use both; only gets added once). Not really into adding denominations outside a pack, but the historical Vedic religion is, for all intents and purposes, a distinct religion from modern Hinduism.
-Midewiwin; Re-added from an older version of the mod. Helps finish up geographic distribution for North America and I know modders are planning Ojibwe/Anishinaabe mods.
-Sairimaism; Scythian, early Indo-Iranian religion.
-Zemiism; Indigenous Antillean religion of the Arawak, Taino, etc.
-Laiboni; Religion of the Masaai people of Kenya, Tanzania, etc.
-Bumuntu; Religion of the Luba people/kingdom of Central Africa.
-N'um; Religion of the San (Bushmen) people and, to some degree, the Khoikhoi people of South Africa.
-Razana; Indigenous Malagasy/Madagascar religion of the Merina, etc.

As was noticed, I did comment out the entry for Shia Islam. Now that I have multiple denomination packs, I figured it was best to leave all the denominations as choices instead of part of the mod (not counting Christianity as its split in the default game). The end goal would be to also release a "Historical Religions Complete" edition at some point after I finish all the planned denomination packs that has everything packaged together. If people really want, I can re-add Shia to the base mod in the next update. In the meantime, there's the Islamic denomination pack, or, even, all the necessary files are still in the main mod. Reactivating it simply requires replacing the Islam entry:

Spoiler :
Code:
<!-- Islam -->
<Row>
	<Type>RELIGION_ISLAM</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ISLAM</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ISLAM_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
	<IconAtlas>RELIGION_ATLAS_WHITE</IconAtlas>
	<PortraitIndex>4</PortraitIndex>
	<IconString>[ICON_RELIGION_ISLAM]</IconString>
</Row>
With the denominations entry:
Spoiler :
Code:
<!-- Sunni -->
<Row>
	<Type>RELIGION_ISLAM</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ISLAM_MAIN_SUNNI</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ISLAM_MAIN_SUNNI_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
	<IconAtlas>RELIGION_ATLAS_WHITE</IconAtlas>
	<PortraitIndex>4</PortraitIndex>
	<IconString>[ICON_RELIGION_ISLAM]</IconString>
</Row>
<!-- Shia -->
<Row>
	<Type>RELIGION_ISLAM_SHIA</Type>
	<Description>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ISLAM_SHIA</Description>
	<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_ISLAM_SHIA_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
	<IconAtlas>HISTORICAL_RELIGIONS_ATLAS_MOD_TWO</IconAtlas>
	<PortraitIndex>3</PortraitIndex>
	<IconString>[ICON_HISTORICAL_RELIGION_MOD_SHIA_TWO]</IconString>
</Row>
And then just scroll down and change Kilwa's preference in the More Civ's section.

Is there a way to make the denominations packs load after the main mod?

Is there a way to make the denominations packs load after the main mod?

All the denomination packs load after the main mod (either full or edited version) by default. (Or at least they should be doing so. If they're not then I must have accidentally disabled it and need to fix it).

Regarding the Sunni/Shia split in the main mod. Again, I don't really mind adding it back in if you guys want.

I don't think they are, I have the Hindu pack but Indonesia chose regular Hinduism

I would say that the Sunni/Shia split should be added back into the main mod from the standpoint that you're expanding historical religions, and both Sunni and Shia are historically relevant enough to warrent inclusion in that outside of an Islamic split denominations pack. But, on the other hand, with Islam already split, getting only Ibadi in the denominations pack really kind makes it not worth it to get another mod just for one religion when there's only three and both of the other two are already included in the main mod. I know that the denomination packs are modular and can be used without the main mod - or am I wrong about that? If so, that's even worse, haha - but since the majority of the userbase that uses the denominations pack will be people using the main mod as well, and a mod that, in effect, adds to the game just one religion doesn't seem worth it, haha. So I am mixed on whether it should be in the main mod or not; I thought I remembered there being a fourth religion in the Islamic Denominations pack, but right now, with 2/3 (literally) of the mod being itself redundant for what I would assume is the majority, it doesn't seem worth it to keep the split in the main thread, but yet again, the split is warranted because both are very relevant historically-wise.

I guess I wrote all that to say "I don't know", haha. :p

I was trying to come up with a good name for slavic religion but I realised that slavic religion never had a proper historical name. Every single name was given after Christianity became dominant religion among the slavs. The reason is that unlike Norse pagans Slavic pagans were never really unified. There were many isolated groups which were worshipping their own dieties.

Christians were referring to slavic religion as paganism ("Yazychestvo") or idolatry ("Ikonopoklonnichestvo"). All unique names like "Rodnovery" or "Vedism" are neopagan.

Top Bottom