Worst Civ in the Game??

Denmark, anyone? No UB, only one UU is seriously better than what it replaces, and UA is limited at best (pillaging and embarking/disembarking).

Denmark, anyone? No UB, only one UU is seriously better than what it replaces, and UA is limited at best (pillaging and embarking/disembarking).

Sure, but Viking Fury can be awesome and the early UU upgrades to the non-useless later UU which can make for some seriously bad-a$$ foot soldiers. Denmark is as good as any warmonger in the game in some circumstances and never sucks to the point of being including on this thread (ummmmmmm, unless you can't get iron or are landlocked).

Also, Metal Casting (for Berserkers) is a much more useful tech than Steel at that point in the game.

Venice, Gandhi, Iroquois. These civs have abilities which are actually detrimental to them.

A blank civ with no abilities would be better than these 3 civs unless you have some funky settings.

Inability to make cities, massive unhappiness for founding or capturing cities, workshop that is worse than the normal one.

Is Longhouse really that bad compared to a Workshop? I haven't done the maths, but surely rolling a forest heavy start would mean a plethora of mid-game hammers that just increase as you upgrade.

Other than that, Venice is fun to play when you have all that gold, and India makes super tall super fun :)

Some people mentioned not only the civ that they don't like to play AS, but also the one they hate to FACE. For me that would be Oda. If I spawn next to him, I reload.

With Shaka, you can get in his face pre-Civil Service and usually triumph, but Oda has the Oda Plugin which seems to allow him to make 25 units before T50 and not go broke, etc. Almost no way to kick his ass, and if he comes for you, even CBs are not gonna keep his army at bay most of the time.

Also, just as I was starting to do well on DCL #10 Polynesia, he backstabbed me, and on Nigel Tufnell's play through of the same map he managed 112 cities. A total %%%%.

Some people mentioned not only the civ that they don't like to play AS, but also the one they hate to FACE. For me that would be Oda. If I spawn next to him, I reload.

With Shaka, you can get in his face pre-Civil Service and usually triumph, but Oda has the Oda Plugin which seems to allow him to make 25 units before T50 and not go broke, etc. Almost no way to kick his ass, and if he comes for you, even CBs are not gonna keep his army at bay most of the time.

Also, just as I was starting to do well on DCL #10 Polynesia, he backstabbed me, and on Nigel Tufnell's play through of the same map he managed 112 cities. A total %%%%.

Oda is a b*tch. When I see him early, I make darn sure I have horsies or iron and send him off against neighbor #2 ASAP. I'll change my tech path. Anything………then sneak in and try to take a city while his back is turned.

Personally I can't claim one or two civilizations as absolute worst in the game. Sure, some of them are really bad, if you end up starting in position where you can't use their unique abilities at all or fail to do so. I have some bad memories about Spain and Byzantium there in multiplayer games (first one of which I wrote in this forum.)

If I try to think of civilization, that could qualify as "worst" in game, I think about ones that are worst immersion breakers for me: America or Brazil. When I think of word "civilization" I think those old ones like Assyria, Babylon, Egypt, China, etc. In that sense America and Brazil are a bit late to qualify as civilizations. They did not exist for most of the history in a way they are made in the game!

This is total flower that bull ate yesterday you say? Civilizations in Civilization games are not meant to be historically correct or anything like that! Besides, look at England, Russia and Zulus. Its not like they existed in a way they are in the game in time period it is supposed to describe.

Well, I agree, since the game is situated in totally alternate settings, but damn. I hope they get that time periodically changing civilization leader portrait thing back in Civilization 6. It really added some immersion about world evolving from stone age to modern times when people change their clothes and background setting for couple of times in 7000 years or so. Also Lincoln in fur hat.

Edit: And this thread is on strategy section and I write almost everything else than strategy.. oh well. :D

@Fluphen - For me, it's not all about gameplay. I also value the aesthetics of the Civs and find Ethiopia's theme, colors and music awful to play. Same goes for Korea. That they are top civs in game play aspects has nothing to do with it.

I understand the point of view you are talking about. Personally I love the colors green and red. I do have a problem with them when they are next to ummmm who is that lol... another Civ has almost the same exact colors. It might be the Aztecs but I can't remember, I just know when you are next to them or at war with them they have the same colored units and I find myself clicking the wrong units a lot!

I stumbled on this thread so I know you can get inside your game and change the colors and music if you do not like them.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=477328

I do not like most of the music in Civ so I took all of it out. I hate when those war drums start pounding or that middle eastern music starts twanging! I tend to play classical music on my t.v. while playing. I do enjoy that sad classical music that you tend to hear with William and other Civs while at peace.

Wow! Just a straight reload? If I really hate being next to a Civ in the game I just keep practicing how to kill them asap or decide I will try to be his/her best friend. At times I just get plain out rolled and that is fun for me. I used to really like this game when you would get a carpet of doom in your face on turn 40-50 when they had that Fall Patch out a few years ago but changed it back on the next Fall Patch. Of course I play more for the challenge of the game instead of something like Role. I also tend to abuse the AI as much as possible since I find it funny. Not respected but I can't help myself.

I am going to start another thread that we can discuss how best to deal with a Civ that is your neighbor so please find it and give us some pointers if you know how to best handle Japan/Zulu or any other Civ in general that is a problem.

The Celts and Siam are the worst.Their UA are horrible.
Interesting... I disagree but I can understand where you are coming from.

I know a lot of players hate this Civ when they roll him in MP. If you get a chance please tell me how you put that voting poll in your thread?

If you get a chance please tell me how you put that voting poll in your thread?

When you make a new thread, you check the check box at the bottom of the page and when you submit it takes you to the Poll making page.

Is Longhouse really that bad compared to a Workshop? I haven't done the maths, but surely rolling a forest heavy start would mean a plethora of mid-game hammers that just increase as you upgrade.

The Longhouse is in a weird position. Against a city with the same production value (i.e. lots of mines), the longhouse loses by 10%. However, the forest tiles also provide 1 food, meaning the city will grow better. Also worth noting that the longhouse is also better at production if you replace the mines with Terrace Farms for the Inca (although understandably, less growth). Against a city with lumber mills, the longhouse flat out wins because of the extra production, even with the workshop's bonus, for as long as there are more trees than mines. Alternatively, it's worse in production than the workshop if you replace lumber mills with trading posts or forts, but then you get the extra gold or defense.

Another small factor about the longhouse is that it's slightly cheaper than the workshop. It's not really much: it's about only 20 hammers cheaper. However, if you're up for it, you can get a great engineer slightly earlier than most civs, which could be crucial if you need a certain early wonder. Situational, but the strategy is very possible.

However, it does absolutely nothing if the city has very little to no forest tiles. Even though it has a lower cost than the workshop, the longhouse would be flat out worse than what it replaces. Still, it only has a significant difference if the city has a huge amount of production anyway; a workshop city with only 20 base production doesn't really outproduce a longhouse unless you stretch the time to over 100 turns. And then, you have to ask yourself: is 200 extra hammers really enough to turn the tide?

That's what I think exactly. Obviously without at least 3-4 forest tiles around, Longhouse is useless but Iroquois should be geared up for a forest heavy start and that's obviously hammertime :D

I think this thread would be more appropriate in General forum, it has nothing to do with neither strategy nor tips

Moderator Action: Moved to General Discussions

Cant see how Americans can be ignore when it comes to worst civ...

buying tiles for half price... really? you will save at least 250 gold wtih this one in the game!!!!

millitary unit +1sight... great for scouting maybe, but ultimately, you Might get an extra ruin per game... lets hope its not surronding area!!!

UU musketman... well ok... move faster in forest wow

UU B17.. great unit indeed... but come so late you already won or loose game...

really they suck!

I am surprised about Ethiopia though. I find them dynamic, especially when you go 4 city Tradition and get all those free faith/culture buildings. The defense bonus is pretty sweet IMO! If you play them with a 6 City or more Liberty game the Faith/Cult get rolling pretty good as well. This Civ was a go to when I would play 6 player FFAs and 1v1 MPs.

However, Korea is a pretty sweet Science Civ, I do not mind them at all!

I do not mind Venice at all but it is more of a sit back and win type of Civ. A very good Civ to play for a fast, peaceful win.

+1 on this

I think this thread would be more appropriate in General forum, it has nothing to do with neither strategy nor tips

I do not mind it in the General Forum that is fine. I do find it strange that you see no strategy or tips in this thread though. I have read all the posts and have learned some tips for sure and perhaps even some strategy.

I see current threads in the strategy and tips section that are far worse than this one and do not get moved.

For me the worst civ in the game is Venice. It's really hard to keep those trade routes going if everyone is DOWing you. And other civ's will do that because you will have a small empire, and apparently the warmongers will consider you the weakest, and get another civ to DOW you both on the same turn. The worst civ to spawn next to you is the Shoshone, you will not get that luxury 3 tiles away from your city.

for multiplayer most ppl would agree that venice is the worst. get facerolled because of UA

a lot of the civs I haven't actually played, but at least on paper it seems ottomans, polynesia, iroquois, are all pretty bad to play with.

1. naval warfare is still more about ranged unit attacks, so I don't see the huge benefit for ottomans, also musket replacements and lancer replacements are at a kind of awkward position on the tech path.

2. highly situational UA, the moai are cool but very disappointing.

3. the longhouse feels like a nerf, you get 1 more hammer per lumbermill so maybe that comes out to 5 or 6 in total, which is worse than a workshop in the long run. plus the roads mechanics don't work with patches of cleared terrain. I would much prefer the inca UA.

worst civ to face is still Alex. Grrr...

Top Bottom