Getting a culture victory

Valiantdarkhero

Chieftain
So I was hoping to start a new game the only problem is I wanna go for a culture victory but with the BNW expansion it seems harder to do mainly because my tourism needs to be higher then my Culture and no matter how much I try to do that I can't. PLEASE HELP!!!.

Culture victory requires two phases in my opinion. First is early tourism. Many folks snub the early tourism points because, "Meh. It's only two tourism points. Who cares?" Truth be told, early game is where the AI culture is low, and you tend to have at least two out of the three conditions for multipliers (open borders and trade routes). Creating the early works with your GWAMs is important. This is not so much because you will gain levels on the AI but so that you are not losing ground. If I can manage about twenty culture in the early renaissance then I know I'm doing okay. This early culture will become the base for the second phase in the game, which is

Multipliers.

My god, the multipliers. Make sure you go to the science screen and scroll waaaay to the end. Click "Internet". Also, be prepared to buy hotels and airports. The national visitors center is a huge boost in your cap. Finish Asthetics.

Boom. Done.

I'd disagree with the above post in that I don't believe early tourism is important. It's not until the later game that the ball really gets rolling, so burn those writers to advance up the Aesthetics and Freedom trees to get the vital bonus's.

Here's a very good guide that should sort you out.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523375

I think you want your first two GW for theming bonus in Oxford and first three GA for theming bonus in Hermitage. The rest are better bulbed. That said, a peaceful CV on deity eludes me...

If I can manage about twenty tourism culture in the early renaissance then I know I'm doing okay. This early tourism culture will become the base for the second phase in the game...

I am pretty sure that's a typo.

The national visitors center is a huge boost in your cap. Finish Asthetics. Boom. Done.

When going for CV, do you usually finish Aesthetics after NVC? Part of my difficulty may be over-prioritizing finishing that tree (at the cost of earlier policies in Rationalism and my Ideology).

So I was hoping to start a new game the only problem is I wanna go for a culture victory but with the BNW expansion it seems harder to do mainly because my tourism needs to be higher then my Culture and no matter how much I try to do that I can't. PLEASE HELP!!!.

You've already received plenty of fantastic answers. Just remember that your tourism doesn't have to be higher than your culture. Your tourism output has to exceed the culture output of other civ's. That is to say, the total amount of tourism you've generated throughout the game has to exceed the total amount of culture a civ has generated throughout the game in order for you to achieve Influential status over it. Which is generally impossible in and of itself, because you won't get a tourism engine going until long after civ's have been generating culture, but that's where all those multipliers come in that Primacide and others were mentioning.

Open border agreements, trade routes, using spies as diplomats, and sharing ideologies and religion all apply modifiers to your tourism output to a given civ. Then you want to finish the aesthetics, and run the science tree to internet. Bottom line is that culture victories don't happen until late in the game. It's not even really a slow snowballing. The tools just aren't there early in the game. The Parthenon is nice and all, but not that huge a deal.

I don't usually bulb as much as everyone in CF seems to want to. I like getting the constant culture boost from situating a great work in a city, particularly a new one that needs to expand its borders. Then again, I build wide to maximize my chances of getting coal, oil, aluminum, and uranium, and for the cozy feeling that having lots of high-production cities gives me. The ultimate design of Civ V pretty much beats you over the head NOT to do that and instead build little postage-stamp Delaware-sized empires with five or fewer cities, and I guess you milk city-states for all the resources you wind up not having. Or you just do without them and build lots of anti-aircraft guns and infantry. Sounds dull as dishwater to me, but I guess if playing an optimal game is more important than playing a memorable game, small/tall is a good way to go.

But if you are wide, you will have lots of space for great works and artifacts. Speaking of artifacts (which nobody really does in these threads), if you go wide you can actually build archaeologists (your run-of-the-mill four-city "empires" often have more pressing needs for their limited production assets), in which case my advice would be build some early and target those dig sites that are outside of your borders. You'll often see them next to city-states, for instance, or on little islands that nobody settled. You can save the ones within your border for later.

I've won a peaceful CV on Deity (admittedly as Poland however, which are OP).

Key things to know: you can't go for many wonders. Forget the Parthenon unless you chop like a mad man and have salt. Either go for Leaning Tower into GE into Globe Theatre OR go for Uffizi. You can't have both.

I've found that I love coastal cities for CV. I do a monster capital, boom it with internal seat trade routes. I can't open Rationalism right after finishing Tradition but dipping Exploration is great. Don't listen to anyone who says Exploration is worthelss: if 75% or more of your cities are coastal, it provides hammers, happiness and other benefits. Since you are not required to finish Aesthetics until very late (Free cultural GPs should come after you've naturally generated quite a few so the growth slows) and I actually never finish Rationalism if I don't go for SV. Two or three tenets is enough.

So, after cherry picking Ideology policies, you can actually finish exploration. The Hidden Antiquity sites DO help. Especially since you are extreely unlikely to have competition for them. Beware AI lategame settlers plopping on those 1 tile islands with sites though!

Bulbin GAs and GWs when going for a CV is NOT the way to go. You need great works! You can snag Uffizi, the Louvre and probably Cathedrals so there are plenty of slots to fill in!

Don't fill in Broadway. In fact, Broadway is a trap. Lay off GM generation untill after you've hit your high in tourism output: theming bonuses, internet, airports, hotels etc. GMs are used to overcome cultural runaway civs. They are the cannon that will breach that devastating Deity AI culture advantage.

Also, while religion is not paramount, it does help. Especially Cathedrals and Religious Art. And: SAVE YOUR FAITH! You will use it to purchase even more great musicians at the end game.

This is the short version for a peaceful CV. I've heard warmongering autocratic CV is much easier, and I'll probably try it with England on a Continents or something similar. Ships of the Line, exploration, wonder and great work grabbing. Sounds about right.

Make sure you go to the science screen and scroll waaaay to the end. Click "Internet". Also, be prepared to buy hotels and airports.

Be careful. If, at the start of the game, you were to scroll to the end of the tech tree and click on Internet, you wouldn't get Airports. Airports are on a tech (Radar) that is possible to bypass on the way to Internet, so you'd have to take a slight detour at some point to pick them up. Personally, in my CV's I just beeline to Internet and then go back and pick up Radar for Airports if I still haven't won yet.

I have always wanted to test out playing as Brazil. But the UA you get is only useful in late game with tourism. I can see when you can finally build hotels and airports and radio towers etc. your tourism and culture will boom. But it's like the Americans...the B-52 bomber. So late game what's the point. When you play Carthage you get harbors automatically with each coastal city. That helps you from turn one or just about.

I too love CV. How does Brazil help in early early game to Modern Era. Tips and suggestions would be great.

Brew God

Thanks everyone I will definitely take each and every post into consideration as well the link given by Mahasona has cleared things up and makes me understand what needs to be done for a cult victory. So thank you to everyone who replied.

...Mahasona has cleared things up and makes me understand what needs to be done for a cult victory. So thank you to everyone who replied...
If you want an Immortal level challenge to try play the The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #13 Egypt it is suited for a CV amongst other things. Add in a deity level player has done a LP video.
My tips:
  • Win the World's Fair at all costs, if you don't then a CV is probably out unless you use the GM spam technique.
  • You don't need any of the Renaissance cultural wonders to win a CV, only museums filled with theming artifacts in all cities. Although they do help. Sistine Chapel should be snagged at all costs as it will prevent an AI from generating %25 more culture.
  • Complete Aesthetics asap and when you do have open borders and trade routes to the cultural leaders. This will require you to be peaceful with the cultural leader(s).
  • War is another option but target the tourism leader's capital. Although very hard to do try and capture the city on the turn you DOW, that way they won't have a chance to move their art out. You may think target the cultural leader but they have already generated their culture and would need to be eliminated.
  • Try Poland, his UA means you don't have to synchronize policy choice/Oracle with era.

So late game what's the point.

The point is that Culture Victories occur most of the time (especially on the higher difficulties) in the Information Era and often after the Internet. So being able to *double* your end game tourism once you have all the bonuses is huge since that's when the game is decided.

I have always wanted to test out playing as Brazil. But the UA you get is only useful in late game with tourism. I can see when you can finally build hotels and airports and radio towers etc. your tourism and culture will boom. But it's like the Americans...the B-52 bomber. So late game what's the point. When you play Carthage you get harbors automatically with each coastal city. That helps you from turn one or just about.

I too love CV. How does Brazil help in early early game to Modern Era. Tips and suggestions would be great.

Brew God
Well, tourism also provides the little boosts to science from trade routes and espionage. It also helps ensure other civ's won't be able to mess with your happiness once ideologies come about (in fact, you're more likely to mess with them).

. So late game what's the point.

It is not late . Actually it is one of the quickest win I get about just over 400 turn on Epic/Emperor (about early 1800s) with any civ.

1. You need very little to build for CV, mostly in the capital with Hermitage, Oxford, Museum, and perhaps Effel and one culture wonder. I prefer Sistine to prevent the AI get 25% culture boost.

2. Go 2-3 city Tradition Openning (there are guides on this), build the Oracle, beeline to Education, staff all the scientist slots, beeline to Printing Press to build the Pisa. It pay for itself with the free Engineer, and boost both GS and Great W/Artist. Then to Scientific Theory, after finish the Publish school 8 turn (12 turn on epic) then then rush Electicity using GScientist burst, and Oxford Radio to get the Idealogies. Choosing Order to get the 25% faster Great People, the 33% cash discount on buying building, and then the Tier 2 Worker's Faculty for 25% science and 50% reduce factory building time. After that you may want the tier 3 Free Scientist and Engineer first. Then get the 2 +33% tourist tenets.

Then go for Industrialize to build the factory, go Archeology, then go Chemistry if there are many mines, then beeline to Plastic to build/buy the Research lab.

All GScientis before Publish School planted, other save to burn after you build all the Labs 8 turn. Then you burn all GS to get to Telecommunitcation, and use the free tech from Rationalismto get The Internet. I use the free Engineer from the tier 3 Order to build the Sydney Opera if capital coastal, and use that free SP to get the last Rationalism. Very quick! After getting the Internet, beeline Airport for the Hotels. Build the National Visitor Center asap. After the Internet and the NVC using the Great Music bombs.

Before burning GS, make sure you get to Rationalism-Free thought and build the all factories 8 turn before.

3. Policies: because games are quick so the beginning it is exactly like that: Full tradion - Patronage openning and Consulates, Rationalism open-Securlarism-Humanism-Free Thought

After that put sp on Ideologies, and Aethetics. You will want to maximize World Fair by building Hermitage for +50% culture, Florsish of the Art to get 33% cult in cities with wonders and the Golden Ages (+20% culture), if you quick you can get Broadcast in capital for another +33%.

3. Word Congress: You will win after the third congress, so it is Word Fair-any thing you want: culture for World Wonder, World Religious or just Art Funding- International Game

5. The advance technique is burning great peoples:

- Great Scientist: 10 times average of the last 8 turn (12 turn on epic) of science output. So you can change to Science priority in all cities, even build science. Make sure all the social policies and buildings are in place 8 turn before burning.

- Great Writers: 10 times average of the last 8 turn culture output. You only need 2 Great Writers in Oxford, the rest can use to burn for social policy, prefer to burn at least 2 at winning the World Fair . Maybe faith buy another 1.

- Great Musician: 10 times at the time of birth. GM get multipliers like open border, trade route... at the time of burning.

I don't know about you, but I feel that the Broadway isn't for offensive culture, but more for defensive, since when you go for tourism, you save those GMus until late game when you've accumulated a nice amount of tourism.

So if you're not going for a CV, Broadway might be better for defence. After all, Eiffel Tower is also available in Radio. And we ALL know that is one desirable wonder!

Defensively, you're pretty much safe if you have Sistine, Hermitage and Sydney Opera with 2 cultural CSs pumping up those books (is it a book? I mean we have hammers, apples and beakers right) per turn, tbh

...I feel that the Broadway isn't for offensive culture, but more for defensive, since when you go for tourism, you save those GMus until late game when you've accumulated a nice amount of tourism.

Unlike other GP, GMu strength is based on turn they spawn, so no point saving. I have read that when going for CV, that the music guild should be built late -- since early GMu are useless except for populating Broadway.

It often depends if there's a culture runaway, frankly. If everyone is about even on culture and you have good bonuses for everyone, then you can build Broadway and win faster (since "nuking" a Civ or two with GMs won't help in that case since you still need to "beat" the other five or whatever). However, if 1-2 Civs have a huge culture lead then saving GMs for the very end (aka, not spawning them until after the Internet) and music bombing them is essentially required.

It depends what skill level you are playing at..??

Sacred Sites, and Vadalaz Strategy have proven to be the best methods for winning in the fewest amount of turns on recent Gauntlets. Unless you are playing Deity (Maybe Immortal) then much of what has been mentioned doesn't even come into play. (Ex. Broadway, Radio, etc.).

I want to correct info on the Great Musician. No matter what I choose Freedom or Order, the strength of GM is 15 times tourist at the time of pop. (I always play on Epic). And when I send that GM to any countries, the actual tourist is 1.5 times that strength.

So GM from Freedom is 33% more powerful with broadcast, because broadcast bonus apply to the raw tourist, but Order still be better for culture victory because most of the AI will choose Order, the tenet 50% reduction to factory, 33% reduction building buying cost, and the important free scientist and free engineer tenet.

Unlike other GP, GMu strength is based on turn they spawn, so no point saving. I have read that when going for CV, that the music guild should be built late -- since early GMu are useless except for populating Broadway.

Oh dear me. What I meant was "saving GMu spawning until you have a high tourism".

My mistake.

Top Bottom