Turn 5 embassies

InFlux5

King
In two different games now I've had a rival civ (AI) offer to put an embassy in my capital on turn 5. Does this mean that they have Writing already? How is this possible? I thought it might have been getting Pottery and then Writing from two goodie huts, but it seems unlikely that that happened twice.

On King and above, the AI starts with Pottery. If the AI then pops Writing from a ruin, there you go.

The only thing I have to add is that it would be an extremely bad idea to allow an AI to establish an embassy with you on turn 5.
Wait until you've either finished founded the first ring or you've spotted one of his scouts next to your capital.

If you're playing a civ with an early UU, like Siege Tower or Ballista, wouldn't it be beneficial to give someone your embassy early? Maybe around the time you're dropping your 3rd city?

If you're playing a civ with an early UU, like Siege Tower or Ballista, wouldn't it be beneficial to give someone your embassy early? Maybe around the time you're dropping your 3rd city?

That would be a case where you'd want to buy an embassy from the AI early, but NOT sell yours just yet. (Maybe sell one turn before DOWing him to cause him to waste 25 gold?)

I was thinking more along the lines of, since I know I'm going to be taking out my 1stneighbor, I should invite them to settle closer so there's less travel time.

That would be a case where you'd want to buy an embassy from the AI early, but NOT sell yours just yet. (Maybe sell one turn before DOWing him to cause him to waste 25 gold?)

You can't trade lump-sums of Gold until you have a DoF...? Or are we talking about Vanilla Civ 5?

Why is it such a bad idea? I usually accept their offer for some GPT. Does this make them covet my land more or something?

Why is it such a bad idea? I usually accept their offer for some GPT. Does this make them covet my land more or something?

It makes some more aggressive AIs forward settle you.

One thing that people don't really talk about when trading embassies is getting caravans from them. Sometimes if you're nearby a peaceful civ, they'll toss an embassy your way if they can see your capital. On diety this is an instant +5 science per turn, likely to be 2x your normal science output.

One thing that people don't really talk about when trading embassies is getting caravans from them. Sometimes if you're nearby a peaceful civ, they'll toss an embassy your way if they can see your capital. On diety this is an instant +5 science per turn, likely to be 2x your normal science output.

So you reckon if a 'peaceful' AI see's your capital than you should let them give you the embassy.

How do you get Caravans from an embassy?

How does an embassy give +5 science per turn?

How do you get Caravans from an embassy?

How does an embassy give +5 science per turn?

An embassy doesn't directly give caravans. It gives the AI the location of your capital allowing them to send a caravan there.

The embassy doesn't give the +5 science, the caravan does (if the other civ is significantly more technologically advanced then you).

Yeah, i would only embassy if the ai has already found your capital, which, seeing they are offering to you on turn 5, is probably not likely

I never accept any embassy trade till I have settled my first 4 cities, that is unless they have found me already and are far enough away from me...

If you need their embassy for quest or sth, just give em 1 iron or horse(2 for border opening). Should suffice most of the time.

I see a discussion regarding aggressive vs peaceful AI. Let me tell you sth, there are no peaceful AIs on higher difficulties. Sooner or later they will find a reason to attack you, whether be land, wonder or his "better friend" denouncing you. Or simply because you have a weak army and they see an opportunity towards their domV goal.

As for Caravans from neighbours, it doesn`t matter whether you have shared embassies or not. If they see you they will send Caravans and DoF will follow without embassies. So if you happen to see Caravans early on from your neighbour, that means DoF offer will follow.

Top Bottom