(3UC) 3rd Unique Component Project

The mod works, but in the Civ selection menu, I still get 2 UC icons, instead of 3, like this.

Spoiler :

As you can see the mod has loaded, from the Carthage text, but no 3rd UC icon.

The mod works, but in the Civ selection menu, I still get 2 UC icons, instead of 3, like this.

Spoiler :

As you can see the mod has loaded, from the Carthage text, but no 3rd UC icon.
The file that controls the Selection Screen and the Dawn of Man screen are hardcoded to only show the 1st two icons from Units > Buildings > Improvements and in that order.

There was a mod in whoward69's Pick'n'Mix webpage I think that modified the core game file in question to allow a 3rd unique icon (maybe even a fourth?) to show in the DOM screen but I don't remember if the extras would show in the civ selection screen. It has been literally a couple of years since I used the mod I am thinking of, and I am not even sure it was a mod offered on whoward's site.

@mikeburnfire

The japanese Sohei does not have the Bonus vs mounted [50] that all spear and pikeman do, is this intentional? Because this way, the Sohei is pretty much useless and will be wtfpwned by all other units. The description even says it is an anti-cavalry unit, but that bonus is what makes it so. Without it, the Sohei has no role in the game. Unique units should be equal or better than its base, not worse.

BTW, congratulations on the Dojo [japanese unique barracks]! It is THE awesomesauce, built them asap in most of my cities.

The file that controls the Selection Screen and the Dawn of Man screen are hardcoded to only show the 1st two icons from Units > Buildings > Improvements and in that order.

There was a mod in whoward69's Pick'n'Mix webpage I think that modified the core game file in question to allow a 3rd unique icon (maybe even a fourth?) to show in the DOM screen but I don't remember if the extras would show in the civ selection screen. It has been literally a couple of years since I used the mod I am thinking of, and I am not even sure it was a mod offered on whoward's site.

On the download page for 3UC there's this screnshot

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23676

Use it together with the EUI and you'll get the additional UCs at the Selection Screen.

That being said, could the responsible files from the EUI be added to the 3UC mod?

The 3rd and 4th units should be more fun. However it seems the mod producer add too many buildings instead of units, and most units are not interesting and useful. For example the Aztec Eagle Eyes: you almost never use this unit unless your warrior got upgraded from a Ruin. The unit is too early to be useful and obsolete after upgrade. The buildings are not interesting either, it's like you add a few food, faith or culture. What can be improve is the building characteristic should take into account into the civ strategy and the map feature such as building next to jungle, mountain or river etc.

Many other units are upgrades for lancer or chariot archers which are not used quite often. If you are a warmonger you probably focus on building range units anyway.

Anyway my point is the purpose of adding more units or buildings to civilizations is to create more distinction between them.

Hey mike!

Awesome mod! Just used it yesterday. I like the idea a lot. Personally speaking I tried India. I do like the sepoy musketman! Very historic and accurate! I also like keeping the War Elephant! Personally I'd like if the ranged strength was 12 versus 11, but maybe that's not balanced.

Only issue is with game mechanics vs. historical accuracy. With its UA India has a tough time with religion early. Historically India founded 3 religions: Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. So a shrine replacement makes sense to make it possible to found one.

Basically India should get its current UA with a food/growth bonus, and a faith bonus. That'd make sense. Even though your current "Mandir" is accurate (its a Hindu Temple) it doesnt help India found a religion.

Either attach a growth bonus to the Mandir like +1/2 food and/or 5-10 % growth in city.

OR

Make Mandir a Shrine replace and have it give 2 faith or +1 faith for every 4 citizens or gives an "instant faith bonus" of like 25 or 30.

Let me know what you think.

A lot of the fourth uniques are really lackluster or uninspired. Japan, France, England, Portugal, Aztecs, Sweden, etc. Needs work.

Additionally, I'm baffled that the nerf to Carthage's UA is still there. Free lighthouses are completely incomparable to free harbors. It's not even close, and Carthage is weak enough already.
Free Cothon's in every city wouldn't be overpowered considering how weak the civilization is overall, and if you really think it would be, return the UA to normal and stick the Cothon's bonuses on a unique lighthouse instead. Bam, problem solved.

has anyone used this with the nq mod. Someone of them dont work but some do. Im confused as to why

Isn't that a MP mod? (I mean the NQ mod)

Whenever I try to download the mod, I get a wordpad document and not a file, can anyone help me with this problem?

Hey! I updated the 4UC today based on user feedback.

- Buffed Mayan Obsidian Warrior - doubled Science yield from kills (should be 50% of combat strength)

- Buffed Japanese Warrior Monks - now has proper combat bonus against mounted units

- Changed Austrian Orchestra - Removed extra Great Work slot (users reported that it caused problems. Added Tourism bonus instead.

- Changed American Saloon - Removed from Ancient Era and placed into Renaissance Era to be more historically accurate. Replaces Windmill instead of Circus. Therefore, yields production instead of happiness. Maintains resource bonus. Increased border growth boost to compensate for appearing later.

Really nooby question sorry (never actually tried to download a mod for Civ5 from something other than steam), do I just drop the file into the mod folder as is?

It may work, but sometimes it doesn't. If not - just unzip the .mod file with 7zip/WinZip/WinRAR and place the folder into the mods folder of the game.

I made a mod folder and put the mods in there, when I load the game nothing shows to indicate they are activated.

Minor bug found: You can build the Carthagian Cothon in Cities without coast tiles.

Top Bottom