Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

Hi JFD, loving the mod so far. It adds a much needed touch of character to each game and civilization. :)

Problem is, I can't seem to get the soundtrack addon to work. Even when I only have the base mod and soundtrack installed, I only have the vanilla music playing. Should I be doing anything special when installing other than extracting into a folder in the MODS section?

Question: will there be a culture group for the Koori, Wiradjuri, and CL's incoming Australian civilizations?

Probably aboriginal. But they're not out yet.

Where do I put the soundtrack download? Just in my MOD folder like anything else?

Yep.

Has the unit addon pack been removed or is it still WIP? Anyways, looking forward to trying this out!

WIP, though I wouldn't hold one's breath for it - so use Ethnic Units or R.E.D. for now.

Hi JFD, loving the mod so far. It adds a much needed touch of character to each game and civilization. :)

Problem is, I can't seem to get the soundtrack addon to work. Even when I only have the base mod and soundtrack installed, I only have the vanilla music playing. Should I be doing anything special when installing other than extracting into a folder in the MODS section?

Some civs only use vanilla music (Islamic, Western, Bharata, and, IIRC, Oriental) - what civ were you trying?

Question: will there be a culture group for the Koori, Wiradjuri, and CL's incoming Australian civilizations?

Probably aboriginal. But they're not out yet.

I guess that's something I should consider. I don't want to go over adding 5 more groups, so I'll have to factor an Aboriginal civ into the mix - I would be content with sacrificing the potential Colonial (Anglo-French/Latin) or Northern (Norse/Celtic) split for it, I suppose, but two new American groups and a split of the Mediterranean group are a must. Of course, as Natan says, they're not out yet, and who knows when they will.

Hmmm... Idea: Hellnistic culture group. That would replace the Mediterranean group(as part of the split).

Hi, JFD! I wanted to ask you a couple of things about the mod.
Do you know/think is possible to have custom victory/gameover screens based on cultural groups and possibly era? I think that would spice up the boring victory and gameover screens.

For example: Oriental gameovers
PIC 1 ancient/classical gameover (a cut of this) or the standard gameover
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wn1vwTkL1qhttpto2_r1_1280.jpg

PIC 2 medieval/renaissance gameover
http://pre08.deviantart.net/8c25/th/pre/i/2013/031/2/d/temple_ruins_by_jonasdero-d5ej8nc.jpg

PIC 3 industrial onward
http://img03.deviantart.net/32e5/i/2013/135/0/1/tokyo_ruins_by_jonasdero-d5f8m66.jpg

Second question: Is it possible to give an unique building/improvement/unit to a culture group via xml/sql or could you help me if other things are required. If I manage to get some free time in august/september i'm thinking to make culturally diverse great people (in names and great works if cultural GP).

Thank you anyway.

PS: since your inbox is full I also apologize for the italian translation of Sardinia-Piedmont, that I abandoned 'cause this was one hell of a 2015. :sad:

Some civs only use vanilla music (Islamic, Western, Bharata, and, IIRC, Oriental) - what civ were you trying?

England, which is apparently Western. I tried changing their tags in CulDiv_Civilizations in the core folder, but it didn't have any effect on the music. It did change their starting bonus, though. Is there any way for a user to tweak which civs have unique soundtracks, but not changing the rest of their gameplay bonuses?

Thanks for the reply. :)

Awesome mod. Playing with Shaka, getting the free spearmen a free instant upgrade on a ruin and going around in Ancient Era with a Zulu Pikeman. :D

The civ 4 flavours that I saw discussed in this thread are integrated already or is a WIP?

If your referring to the Civ 4 Leader Traits, that's a separate mod.

Hi, JFD! I wanted to ask you a couple of things about the mod.
Do you know/think is possible to have custom victory/gameover screens based on cultural groups and possibly era? I think that would spice up the boring victory and gameover screens.

For example: Oriental gameovers
PIC 1 ancient/classical gameover (a cut of this) or the standard gameover
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9wn1vwTkL1qhttpto2_r1_1280.jpg

PIC 2 medieval/renaissance gameover
http://pre08.deviantart.net/8c25/th/pre/i/2013/031/2/d/temple_ruins_by_jonasdero-d5ej8nc.jpg

PIC 3 industrial onward
http://img03.deviantart.net/32e5/i/2013/135/0/1/tokyo_ruins_by_jonasdero-d5f8m66.jpg

Second question: Is it possible to give an unique building/improvement/unit to a culture group via xml/sql or could you help me if other things are required. If I manage to get some free time in august/september i'm thinking to make culturally diverse great people (in names and great works if cultural GP).

Thank you anyway.

PS: since your inbox is full I also apologize for the italian translation of Sardinia-Piedmont, that I abandoned 'cause this was one hell of a 2015. :sad:

An interesting idea! However, whilst easy enough for some cultures, it might prove impossible for others (Andean, Bantu, etc.), and at this stage, I neither have the time nor energy to scour the internet for everything. But if someone else does, I'd certainly make this a thing.

England, which is apparently Western. I tried changing their tags in CulDiv_Civilizations in the core folder, but it didn't have any effect on the music. It did change their starting bonus, though. Is there any way for a user to tweak which civs have unique soundtracks, but not changing the rest of their gameplay bonuses?

Thanks for the reply. :)

There is a column for the soundtrack "SoundtrackTag", two columns along from the one you must've edited :p

Awesome mod. Playing with Shaka, getting the free spearmen a free instant upgrade on a ruin and going around in Ancient Era with a Zulu Pikeman. :D

The civ 4 flavours that I saw discussed in this thread are integrated already or is a WIP?

These were just for Prestige, and so would have no functionality until (if) Prestige was completed; hence, still WIP.

Hmmm... Idea: Hellnistic culture group. That would replace the Mediterranean group(as part of the split).

I see no scenario in which a Hellenistic group would prove superior to a Classical/Graeco-Roman group - the latter supplies a home for both Rome and Greece, whereas the former only Greece.

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but the Patronage opener for Mandala cultural types seems very weak - especially if you're using the CBP, where one of your policies is literally useless until at least the Renaissance era.

I understand that you can't balance cultural start bonuses around other Civs, but here's an idea I had: what if they started off knowing the location of and allied with the nearest City-State that spawns instead? That way they get the gold for meeting them as well as at least a few turns of whatever bonus the City-State gives them.

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but the Patronage opener for Mandala cultural types seems very weak - especially if you're using the CBP, where one of your policies is literally useless until at least the Renaissance era.

I understand that you can't balance cultural start bonuses around other Civs, but here's an idea I had: what if they started off knowing the location of and allied with the nearest City-State that spawns instead? That way they get the gold for meeting them as well as at least a few turns of whatever bonus the City-State gives them.

Weak? Are you serious? It gives you access to the forbidden palace, and its absolutely insane with Ramkhameng(oops?).

Slower influence decay rate means that you will benefit more from early city state quests and later on it will save you lots and lots of money you would spend on city state gifts. And you don't have to spend culture to get it, so you can pursue other policies. It's a long term effect, rather than an immediate one.

I suppose, but in comparison to Honor or Liberty openers, it's much weaker for establishing an early lead. You don't even see the benefits until City-States start giving quests, and by the time you're at Allies you likely could have opened Patronage already.

It's also boring - the Liberty and Honor openers immediately change the way you play, not just in the early game but probably for the whole game. Patronage doesn't really do that, because IMO it's always beneficial to go after City-States anyway. I don't feel like a Patronage opener changes my playstyle at all.

Also the AI doesn't understand it (particularly in CBP). It doesn't think "I should go after other trees," it thinks "the game's flavor tables score Patronage highly." So it will fill the entire Patronage tree before opening anything that would benefit it in the early game.

I believe it would only happen with the CP(which I use as well). But unless you have any other suggestions(that would be historically accurate), it probably should stay how it is.

I did have another suggestion - I already posted it. On the next turn, reveal the location of a nearby city-state and start off allied with them. It's more interesting because the bonus you get is somewhat random, depending on what type of city-state it is, and it also affects your playstyle in that you have to work to maintain that relationship. Meeting a city-state earlier also allows you to get quests earlier.

It also flavors the AI more when you're playing against it. If you meet a Civilization like Siam or Champa that already has an allied city-state, you understand immediately "oh, this guy likes to ally with city-states." It affects the game in a clearly visible way whether you're playing it or playing against it, which IMO are the most type of abilities.

That's not really historically accurate, considering mandala was a form of government in southe east Asia....

Mandala wasn't so much a form of government as it was a model of loose, federal kingdoms separate from but in orbit of some kind of central polity. Starting out with some influence with nearby City-States (not so sure about immediate Allied-status) would make perfect sense. I probably will incorporate this - at the very least, it does bring a bit more life to an otherwise inert start.

I prefer the patronage opener, especially since now the forbidden palace gives 6 extra votes as opposed to 2.

Top Bottom