Resource icon

Cultural Diversity

I don't really like the idea of giving Rice Terrace to anyone; they exist, but they're not really prevalent except in the particularly hilly areas. It's not something that springs to my mind for any of the Mandala civs (remember that the Philippines is not part of this group) since generic paddy fields appear MUCH more often. I'm unsure how prevalent it is in the Orient.

As for rice fields, I don't quite like the idea either, they're simply too prevalent in Asia in general. There are much more unique features in each region that deserve to be represented (I'll be very disappointed if you opt to give the Mandala civs rice fields rather than showing off our fondness for Albino Elephants).

Oh no, don't worry. I love your Royal Elephant Stables idea and plan on keeping it in some form. I haven't made any final decisions yet on how, but they'll get in there, that's for sure.

Oh gawd... that's nothing compared to the referendum coming up on whether to change NZ's flag... (but this is just another one of those "this'll happen if you re-elect me" type deals. Sort of a David Cameron move, lol). Not gonna happen.

Sorry, bit off topic. Gimmicky moves like this just make me so mad.

Where were we? Oh yes. I appreciate everyone's important immensely. Even if I don't necessarily agree with some of them, or with the premise on which they are suggested, I do appreciate them nonetheless, and they do give me a general sense of how people view the groups. It's great and encouraging to see such active discussion, and motivates me to work harder to bring you guys a higher quality end product.

But just to note, the names that I'm giving these groups are now purely for my reference's sake. So don't get too caught up in this. Groupings will be based upon those that share a common game-play interest. For instance, the Byzantines will be in what was the Slavic group, though they are more Hellenic than Slavic. Another example is Indonesia, which will be included in the "Pacific" group, as that group will have a long distance trade/maritime emphasis that the Mandala group will not.

For interest, the Byzantines will be in what was the Slavic group,

: D

Another example is Indonesia, which will be included in the "Pacific" group

D:

as that group will have a long distance trade/maritime emphasis that the Mandala group will not.

Wait... That makes sense! I like it :crazyeye:

Are you going to post each finished group here, or wait some time? ;)

BTW - Fancy Icons for each group are cool, but where they are exactly going to be? :D
I mean, some way of showing 'this civ is in this group' would be pretty necessary both in game as in menu (...along with Group Traits Text Screen being available somewhere in - game :0 Yeah, where exactly does it appear?)

Oh, and one important WIP question - are you going to code everything personally, or would you consider some help (I doubt I am skilled enough...) with coding already decided Group Traits?

Dammit, you quoted a typo...

I'm not going to post any final group list just yet. I do have a tentative one, but I don't want anyone to interpret that as final. However, as I complete as group to be played, I will post them, as I have done with the Steppes. I'm currently working on the Eastern Europeans.

So far, I think the Fancy Icons will be going in the civ selection screen, sort of encompassing the UA text. It looks good, except the icon's don't align properly, so I want to fix that before I showcase it. Otherwise, I'll try and incorporate these icons into the "Cultural Bonuses" UI, which I'll continue to work on to improve aesthetically.

Oh, and one important WIP question - are you going to code everything personally, or would you consider some help (I doubt I am skilled enough...) with coding already decided Group Traits?

Being able to code it all myself is a vital learning experience that'll help improve my SovRev mod and my civs. I've already coded the more complicated parts of the code for the Steppes and the Eastern Europeans, in any case. If I run into any trouble, I may have to speak unto the Sages (whoward and LastSword, primarily) for advice, but otherwise I should be pretty okay.

Oh gawd... that's nothing compared to the referendum coming up on whether to change NZ's flag... (but this is just another one of those "this'll happen if you re-elect me" type deals. Sort of a David Cameron move, lol). Not gonna happen.

Sorry, bit off topic. Gimmicky moves like this just make me so mad.

I like to look on the bright side. If it does happen (which I doubt it will), the All Blacks will officially be the most patriotic team of any sport ever. Not that it really matters. Which sort of links to your point there.

Another example is Indonesia, which will be included in the "Pacific" group, as that group will have a long distance trade/maritime emphasis that the Mandala group will not.

Hooray! Someone agrees with me on something!
I'm still hoping the group gets an early embark, not early enough to make Polynesia useless, but still more early than Optics.

Polynesia's getting sliced into multiple pieces and then cooked up by More Civs though, so it would probably be better to play with that.

You have to remember that not everyone who'll play with this mod will also play with the Polynesia Pack. It's still a larger group than Nippon without any mods, anyway.

Hooray! Someone agrees with me on something!
I'm still hoping the group gets an early embark, not early enough to make Polynesia useless, but still more early than Optics.

I definitely like this idea.

Lol, Totalitarian Group with Nazi, Lenin, Stalin, Mao and North Korea would be so evil, but unfortunately I have lot of disturbing ideas there...

- Making slaves of own citizens
- Sacrificing citizens to increase defense
- Isolation
- Propaganda which warpes tourism
- Getting bonus for... killing citizens... In war and during peace...
- Creating own personality cult
- Unique improvement: camp for political prisoners
- Unique national wonder, national building, symbol of terrifying ideology: guess what. I am already enough ashamed of myself because of having this sociopathic thought to post it here and get banned forever O_o

EDIT
From less bloody groups: I had an idea of 'Mandate of Heaven' (I forgot that damn name of Chinese state) group with internal dynasties, bureaucracy, internal castes (mandarins, eunuchs and so on), civil wars, Mandate and so on, but I guess it would be to complicated - not to mention it would completely wreck Oriental group :p

Should one not play with the pack, then basically Polynesia will be the only thing hanging out there. They may get lonely without the other civs. (And NOBODY mention the current ability.)

But I will be, so I'm not too concerned :D

Alright, so this is what I've got so far for the Slavs:

Spoiler :

At the moment, its the bonuses that I'd appreciate anyone focus their attention to, as they're the ones that I've finished implementing.

A few questions:

1) What do you feel the right chance for sustaining attrition damage should be? If you've played the New World Deluxe scenario, the attrition is exactly the same, but limited to non-Eastern civilizations in Eastern territory, and cannot be combated.
2) How much faith would you expect to normally have in a city?
3) Do you thing the AI should begin with this scout? The AI normally begins with a Scout anyway, and I'm concerned that two Scouts for the AI would be overkill.

Now, the list of bonuses is shorter than that in the Steppe list, but I feel this is warranted, as they are quite a bit stronger. True, however, is that they are larger passive, defensive bonuses. But the point is not to strike a perfect balance between groups, but rather to give them the same level of distinction. This mod is not about tacking on added benefits to civs, but rather about changing they way civs groups play - or are played against. In this case, there is a significant emphasis on the latter.

I'll take criticism of the objectives and penalties, too, while I'm at it. The last objective is sort of just thrown in there for lack of an alternative, and its generally not really conducive to the civ. So I welcome a replacement (but it must be one that suits a "one-time boost" of culture or faith).

Thanks!

For the one time boost what about:

Kill X number of enemy units using a city's ranged attack

Or

Kill an enemy Great General using a city's ranged attack.

A nod to some of the great sieges in eastern European history, particularly Leningrad. It also fits into the defensive Civ theme.

Looks great, can wait to give it a go!

For the culture boost objective how about:

Be the last slavic capital to convert to a (enhanced?) religion

Maybe even scale the bonus up for each era you reach?

Top Bottom