Design Thread - For Discussion and Review

I had those random(yet connected) ideas:

Hohenstaufen(Frederick II)
Spoiler :
UA: Guelphs and Ghibellines
Receive :c5culture: culture and :c5influence: influence with city states that follow your religion per each follower of your religion present in a city upon conquest. During :c5war: war, assume control over the forces of allied :c5citystate: city states.

UU: Teutonic knight
Replaces knight. Slightly stronger(21 :c5strength:) and more expansive, but gains :c5faith: faith from kills. Exerts religious pressure on cities when it attacks them, and has the "crusader" promotion, granting it a 3% bonus against enemy cities per each enemy city that doesn't follow your religion.

UB: Kaiserpfalz
Replaces courthouse. Unlike it, the Kaiserpfalz also grants +2 :c5culture: culture, and starts a WLtKD when you adopt a social policy(equal to the number of social policies adopted).

Cuman-Kipchak Confederation(Khan Konchek)
Spoiler :
UA: Desht-i Qipchaq
Civilian units may enter foreign territory and Gifted units generate :c5culture: culture and :c5gold: gold from kills based on their level, and will return to your control upon the outbreak of a :c5war: war. After chivalry, gifted units may return to your control as Mamluks or Skythikoi*.

UI: Cuman Camp
Unlocked at trapping. Takes 7 turns to build, and May be built on pasture resources or iron owned by any civilization. Yields +1 :c5culture: culture, +1 :c5production: production and +1 :c5food: food, and extra yields** if built on a startegic resource. Occasionally spawns units for the territory's owner based in its resource(the units spawned by the camp are completely free). Receive +1 :c5culture: culture per camp after biology.

UU: Mamluk
Replaces knight. Unlike the knight, does not require horses, and ignores terrain costs.

*Skythikoi: same as camel archer.
** extra yields: +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5food: food from horse, +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5production: production from iron.

UA: Great Merchants may act like Great Generals and when garrisoned provide +4 Production. While at War, Trade Missions are twice as effective and the Capital generates +1 Great Merchant points for every City-State you are allied with.

UU: Pikeman replacement. Starts with Cover II.

UU: Swordsman replacement. May pillage for free. Gains double Gold from pillaging and capturing cities.

This one should be out pretty soon but not under me. I did do coding for the UA, though, and helped design it. What do you guys think of it?

Great Merchants may act like Great Generals and when garrisoned provide +4 Production.

This feels more like UU material than UA. Leugi's Israel did set a precedent though.

This one should be out pretty soon but not under me. I did do coding for the UA, though, and helped design it. What do you guys think of it?

I think its simply*, nicely boring.
As in, it looks nice, but those two UUs.... Great merchant points from kills\ conquering cities would probably be better here.

*I'm describing the design.

This gave me an idea for a civ:

Uzbeks

Leader: Nasrullah Khan
UA: Crossroads of the world: Caravans ending their turn on your territory generate +1 Golden Age Points. Trade Missions are twice as effective and the Capital generates +1 Great Merchant points for every City-State you are allied with during Golden Ages.
UU: Tarkhan: Replaces both Great General and Great Merchant, boosts units in combat, can perform trade missions and builds an unique Improvement, the Ark, which is a Citadel that generates as much Gold as a Customs House.
UU: Mangudai: Replaces Lancer and is a Ranged unit with Great Generals 1 and bonus against other cavalry units.

Heh, the design I posted is actually a Civ with finished coding and art from one of the best recent artists in this forum that I did some testing to see if you guys liked it.

Its war theme is The God of Thunder by Antti Martikainen, so that should give you an idea of who I'm talking about.

As I said, I mostly feel like the UA has too much stuff going on, particularly combined with the UUs that are very simple.

I had those random(yet connected) ideas:

Hohenstaufen(Frederick II)
Spoiler :
UA: Guelphs and Ghibellines
Receive :c5culture: culture and :c5influence: influence with city states that follow your religion per each follower of your religion present in a city upon conquest. During :c5war: war, assume control over the forces of allied :c5citystate: city states.

UU: Teutonic knight
Replaces knight. Slightly stronger(21 :c5strength:) and more expansive, but gains :c5faith: faith from kills. Exerts religious pressure on cities when it attacks them, and has the "crusader" promotion, granting it a 3% bonus against enemy cities per each enemy city that doesn't follow your religion.

UB: Kaiserpfalz
Replaces courthouse. Unlike it, the Kaiserpfalz also grants +2 :c5culture: culture, and starts a WLtKD when you adopt a social policy(equal to the number of social policies adopted).

Cuman-Kipchak Confederation(Khan Konchek)
Spoiler :
UA: Desht-i Qipchaq
Civilian units may enter foreign territory and Gifted units generate :c5culture: culture and :c5gold: gold from kills based on their level, and will return to your control upon the outbreak of a :c5war: war. After chivalry, gifted units may return to your control as Mamluks or Skythikoi*.

UI: Cuman Camp
Unlocked at trapping. Takes 7 turns to build, and May be built on pasture resources or iron owned by any civilization. Yields +1 :c5culture: culture, +1 :c5production: production and +1 :c5food: food, and extra yields** if built on a startegic resource. Occasionally spawns units for the territory's owner based in its resource(the units spawned by the camp are completely free). Receive +1 :c5culture: culture per camp after biology.

UU: Mamluk
Replaces knight. Unlike the knight, does not require horses, and ignores terrain costs.

*Skythikoi: same as camel archer.
** extra yields: +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5food: food from horse, +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5production: production from iron.
It's not that accurate for the Cuman UU to be the Mamluk. Yes I do know the Cumans made the Mamluk Sultanate but a Mamluk UU should either fall under the Mamluk Sultanate or the Egyptians they ended up over throwing.
I like the Hohenstaufen UA.

Heh, the design I posted is actually a Civ with finished coding and art from one of the best recent artists in this forum that I did some testing to see if you guys liked it.

Its war theme is The God of Thunder by Antti Martikainen, so that should give you an idea of who I'm talking about.

Nix's Wendish Empire I'm assuming? The music and concepts for the UUs seem to confirm this, nice to see the reference to Great Merchants as well. Design certainly looks fun.

The "gifted units return to your control and generate culture" is from my Iberians. If that's not it, no idea.

Mine was "culture from kills".
(In case you haven't noticed, I posted like 8 designs last page.)

Annnnnnd you'll forgive my spamming... :lol:

Nri
Spoiler :
UA: Odinani
Territories following your religion may not fight with you and grant you free passage, and civilizations fighting with you receive a diplomatic penalty with all civilizations and :c5citystate: city states following your religion(and may not be friends with them). Receive 2 Ndi upon founding a religion.

UU: Mbùríchi
Replaces great merchant. Unlike it, develops separately and may not found custom houses, but grants extra :c5faith: faith and :c5infleunce: influence when consumed for a trade mission.

UU: Ndi
Replaces missionary. Has no vision penalties, and upon converting a city to your religion grants a :c5food: food boost in all cities equal to the number of followers in the city. May commit sacrifice (with Piety), granting piety equal to 40% of the current deficit.

(Incomplete)Benin(Ewaure The Great)
Spoiler :
UA: Roma Africanus
Ivory, iron and copper provide +1 :c5goldenage: golden age points when worked, and yield +1 :c5greatperson: Artifact* point during golden ages. +1 :c5culture: culture from luxuries and +1 :c5gold: gold from :greatwork: artifacts per each :trade: trade route sent to the city, and +1 :greatwork: great work of art or artifact slot in the palace per each era passed.

UB: Royal Altar
Unlocked much earlier(at metal casting) and is much cheaper than the museum, which it replaces. Though it contains only 1 :greatwork: great work of art or artifact slot, the building will yield an additional +2 :c5culture: when filled. Grants a lump sum of :c5culture: culture upon completion, and requires a monument to be built.

UI:

*unique artifacts, that are generate at the same rate as great people (but aren't not influenced by other great people).

Sokoto Caliphate(Muhammed Bello)
Spoiler :
UA: Fula Jihads
Conquered cities following your religion are automatically assimilated to your empire and yield +1 :c5faith: faith in the :c5capital: capital. Upon declaring war, enemy cities following your religion enter anarchy per each city following your religion under your control, and there's a chance(based on HP) that they will join your empire.

UU: Jihadist
Replaces rifleman. Weaker(30 :c5strength:), but starts with bonus vs. Cities and experience equal to the :c5faith: faith output of the city it was trained in. +1 :c5strength: strength in a territory* per each city following your religion present in it.

UI: Suudu Hudo
Unlocked at animal husbandry. Takes 5 turns to build, and May only be built on flat grassland\ plains tiles, and never adjacent to another Suudu Hudo. Yields +1 :c5food: food, +1 :c5food: food and +1 :c5gold: gold if built on cattle, and +1 :c5culture: culture if built near river. If built near a city, yields +1 :c5production: production.

Italian Empire(Vittorio Emmanuele III)
Spoiler :
UA: Roman Legacy
:c5puppet: Puppets contribute :c5production: production towards military units upon growing, and may spawn a unit upon conquest. The length of :c5food: WLtKD is increased by +1 per each conquered city, and a WLtKD starts whenever a unit is produced in this way.

UU: Dubat
Replaces rifleman. May only be built in conquered cities or upgraded from the musketman. The Dubat receives a 3% attack bonus per each conquered city under your control (up to 33%). Does not obsolete, but receives extra strength upon researching replaceable parts and plastics(50, 65 :c5strength:).

UU: Caio Duilio Class
Replaces ironclad. Stronger(50 :c5strength:), and has a bigger bonus against cities(50%).

Italian Social Republic(Benito Mussolini)
Spoiler :
UA: Mare Nostrum
Receive an % attack bonus in coastal tiles equal to the distance from your nearest coastal city, and :c5goldenage: golden age points equal to your distance from the :c5capital: capital if you make a kill in them. +1 :c5culture: culture and :c5goldenage: golden age points from each conquered and coastal city you own(bonuses stack).

UU: Alpini
Replaces GWI. Unlike it, starts with the drill I, II and "mountain war*" promotions, making it significantly stronger in rough terrain.

UU: Manned Torpedo
Replaces submarine. Though slightly weaker(50 :c5strength:) it is also much cheaper, and may be used to attack cities, damaging naval units stationed in them. Additionally, it may place a limpet mine** on an enemy ship.

*Unit may cross mountains, and gains a 15% bonus when fighting on or adjacent to mountains.
**limpet mine: acts like a guided missile. However, it also damages adjacent units(with 33% of the strength)and forbids the target from moving for one turn.

If anyone is still active on this thread, I have been mulling over a US by Ronald Reagan:
Spoiler :

UA: Reagan Doctrine: Gifting money to a city state boosts tourism with that city state's ally
UB1: Mall: Wonders in this city provide +1% Tourism and +1% Gold
UB2: NYSE: Must have a stock exchange in all cities. Provides +1 Gold for each wonder you own, as well as +5% Gold in the city it is built in.

Tourism and money and bribing foreign officials and all the other great stuff of the Reagan Era.

Eh I'm not too big a fan of it in it's current state. For starters, it's kind of odd seeing a cold war America that has nothing to do with war. I'm also not sure what the Mall replaces and is the NYSE it's own unique national wonder? Also, for the UA what happens if you're the CS's ally? Who do you give tourism to then? I also don't think the numbers of either building's effects are that strong. I'm probably also biased because somebody told me a really good Reagan design once and it's unfair to compare your's to that since they have a completely different focus.

Well, it's not that odd really, Cold War was more about proxy wars than anything. An Espionage focus would make sense for a Cold War America, much more than a Military focus.

Also, I'm kinda perplexed no one has done any tourism centered USA, since, whether we want to admit it or not, that's their primary characteristic, their culture is intrusive like nothing else in the world, buying blue jeans and listening to pop music indeed...

Why am I being ignored?

Yeah I mean you've got 7 designs on this page alone, noones realistically got the time or patience to commit to discussing all of them. It comes across a little spammish

Top Bottom